POLL on if Dogs should have made an official offer to Mitchell

Should the Dogs have made an "official offer" (as in ANY offer) to Mitchell

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
How many hypotheticals are in your post.

What if he wins us a grand final or two ?

What if he wins the leading tryscorer for 3 years running?

What is he becomes the leading point scorer for 3 years running?

What if he surpasses the hazem el masri club record?

What is he helps us secure a major sponsor?

What if he helps us secure more players?

What if he wins the daily M?

What if he wins the Clive Churchill?

What if he wins the golden boot?

What if he becomes an immortal of the game?
You answered your own question Teddybear.
What if?
Too many unknowns for too much money.
Pretty simple if you ask me.

And no, I’m not part of some propaganda machine - I’m a Dogs supporter with my own view - nothing more, nothing less.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate, fairdinkum

In actual fact i enjoy your posts , its always good debate, 100% you back up your views with some really good info.

Yes you are your own man.
You answered your own question Teddybear.
What if?
Too many unknowns for too much money.
Pretty simple if you ask me.

And no, I’m not part of some propaganda machine - I’m a Dogs supporter with my own view - nothing more, nothing less.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mate, fairdinkum

In actual fact i enjoy your posts , its always good debate, 100% you back up your views with some really good info.

Yes you are your own man.
Likewise mate - respect all articulated and reasoned opinions - and yours are good.

I just can’t let go of my business sense that tells me this wouldn’t be a good investment.

Keep the banter going! Cheers.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Remember Chris Anderson was interviewed by Brett kimmorley at a belmore cafe on fox sports.

During dibs time.

They asked him about the recent foran signing.

Well let's just say opes was on the money with his assessment.

Don't get me wrong I love the guy , foran that is , he is all heart and If he could stay on the field for most the season we probably make the 8.
Likewise mate - respect all articulated and reasoned opinions - and yours are good.

I just can’t let go of my business sense that tells me this wouldn’t be a good investment.

Keep the banter going! Cheers.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I Remember Chris Anderson was interviewed by Brett kimmorley at a belmore cafe on fox sports.

During dibs time.

They asked him about the recent foran signing.

Well let's just say opes was on the money with his assessment.

Don't get me wrong I love the guy , foran that is , he is all heart and If he could stay on the field for most the season we probably make the 8.
I remember that too and I remember thinking if that was one of the things that set the Anderson board ticket in motion...

I agree re: Foran - great competitor, quality footballer - unfortunately just has chalk bones.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think you're missing the point why we'd have to pay 900k-1m. If you agree Latrell if worth 700k the extra is just what you have to add to entice the player to come to us (due to the situation we're in, I'm not going to explain it, but I'd assume you don't need me too). I hear people saying they'd rather pay overs for spine players but who's off contract and available for 2021 that you would like to see us sign? If they're worth 700k we're going to have to pay 900k-1m. If they're worth 1m we'd have to pay at least 1.2-1.3m. When I look at Latrell as a player he's everything that we need. I get the negatives you're saying but the positives outweigh the negatives for me. Latrell was still the best Centre in the game with everything you said going on. I'd have trust in the coach, leadership group (we have a very good one) and club to make sure Latrell stays on path. We tried to recruit Leilua ffs.
No mate. That is exactly my point.

You pay overs for a player, and they don't perform to expectations, then you are up shit creek without a paddle. Look at the Titans. Signed:

• Shannon Boyd
  • Nathan Peats
  • Ash Taylor
  • Ryan James

All on big money. How many of them have performed? And for every one of them, they have paid overs for (except James). It is a risk, and type of player he is, I do not think it is worth the risk. If you were to ask yourself - is he closer to being a "Ryan James" or a "Shannon Boyd" - let's be honest, he is more likely to be the latter.

This guy is asking for AT LEAST 1 million. To put that into perspective, we could have got Matterson and Joey Manu for an extra 100-200 k on top of the mil.

Also as for your Leilua comment - he is just as lazy as Latrell. Could be a game changer, but has a greater tendency to do stupid shit for this team than Mitchell. However! He is not asking for a million. Which is a huge difference in my eyes.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No mate. That is exactly my point.

You pay overs for a player, and they don't perform to expectations, then you are up shit creek without a paddle. Look at the Titans. Signed:

• Shannon Boyd
  • Nathan Peats
  • Ash Taylor
  • Ryan James

All on big money. How many of them have performed? And for every one of them, they have paid overs for (except James). It is a risk, and type of player he is, I do not think it is worth the risk. If you were to ask yourself - is he closer to being a "Ryan James" or a "Shannon Boyd" - let's be honest, he is more likely to be the latter.

This guy is asking for AT LEAST 1 million. To put that into perspective, we could have got Matterson and Joey Manu for an extra 100-200 k on top of the mil.

Also as for your Leilua comment - he is just as lazy as Latrell. Could be a game changer, but has a greater tendency to do stupid shit for this team than Mitchell. However! He is not asking for a million. Which is a huge difference in my eyes.
Okay so how are we attracting top talent mate. Why did the Titans have to pay overs. Why did they have to pay so much to retain Taylor? It isn't rocket science.

The majority of this list is on overs:
https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/highest-paid-players/
You'll notice a lot of them moved clubs.

I'm really not sure how you're drawing similarities between Latrell and Boyd. James has also been a good servant for their club.

Latrell is asking for at least 1m? Why is the latest speculation 800k/900k/1m over three years then. Even without Latrell asking for 1m it was obvious to me at least 6 months ago that's what we'd have to pay to entice him (it isn't what he's worth, he's worth 700k imo). Why would someone leave the most successful club atm for the same offer.

Who do you want to see in Centre for 2020/21? The next best after Latrell imo is Lomax. 300k for Lomax (at least) that isn't even close to the output you'd get from Latrell. Considering everything Latrell was the most ideal player on the market for what we need imo. The club obviously doesn't agree (as it stands). I'm honestly interested to see how and who we bring in for 2021.

Last edited:

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Okay so how are we attracting top talent mate. Why did the Titans have to pay overs. Why did they have to pay so much to retain Taylor? It isn't rocket science.

The majority of this list is on overs:
https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/highest-paid-players/
You'll notice a lot of them moved clubs.

I'm really not sure how you're drawing similarities between Latrell and Boyd. James has also been a good servant for their club.

Latrell is asking for at least 1m? Why is the latest speculation 800k/900k/1m over three years then. Even without Latrell asking for 1m it was obvious to me at least 6 months ago that's what we'd have to pay to entice him (it isn't what he's worth, he's worth 700k imo). Why would someone leave the most successful club atm for the same offer.

Who do you want to see in Centre for 2020/21? The next best after Latrell imo is Lomax. 300k for Lomax (at least) that isn't even close to the output you'd get from Latrell. Considering everything Latrell was the most ideal player on the market for what we need imo. The club obviously doesn't agree (as it stands). I'm honestly interested to see how and who we bring in for 2021.
We need to stick to our guns, and do so by playing the game. There are a PLETHORA of players coming off in the coming years, and we need to make plays for them when we can. We have not been a major player in the market for a number of years now, and we need to be really smart with our next moves. We cannot do what Parramatta did in 2013, nor can we do what the Titans did with what I mentioned earlier.

Roosters tabled an offer of 850k, and took it off. Why? Because he rejected it. He is not going anywhere for less than a million - and if you need further clarification - did you read the Mundine article recently?

And whilst you astutely put it - Boyd and Latrell - how is it possible I can compare them? And to an extent, you're right. My point was - if there were 2 types of players we were going to get out of this arrangement - either a "Ryan James" or a "Shannon Boyd", I am more inclined to think that Mitchell will be the latter. Just my personal opinion.

But I agree with you in that 2021 is shaping as a defining moment for us. I would like to think that we have a greater plan of attack, given the options we will have come the end of next year, with so many players of contract.

Whilst there is huge potential upside with Latrell Mitchell, I personally think it is a risk from a busienss standpoint of having 10% of your cap on a player, who wants to play a position of which he has no experience. Even if we got him as a centre, it makes our attack predictable.

1 million for a player not in the 1,6,7,9 is too much IMHO.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We need to stick to our guns, and do so by playing the game. There are a PLETHORA of players coming off in the coming years, and we need to make plays for them when we can. We have not been a major player in the market for a number of years now, and we need to be really smart with our next moves. We cannot do what Parramatta did in 2013, nor can we do what the Titans did with what I mentioned earlier.

Roosters tabled an offer of 850k, and took it off. Why? Because he rejected it. He is not going anywhere for less than a million - and if you need further clarification - did you read the Mundine article recently?

And whilst you astutely put it - Boyd and Latrell - how is it possible I can compare them? And to an extent, you're right. My point was - if there were 2 types of players we were going to get out of this arrangement - either a "Ryan James" or a "Shannon Boyd", I am more inclined to think that Mitchell will be the latter. Just my personal opinion.

But I agree with you in that 2021 is shaping as a defining moment for us. I would like to think that we have a greater plan of attack, given the options we will have come the end of next year, with so many players of contract.

Whilst there is huge potential upside with Latrell Mitchell, I personally think it is a risk from a busienss standpoint of having 10% of your cap on a player, who wants to play a position of which he has no experience. Even if we got him as a centre, it makes our attack predictable.

1 million for a player not in the 1,6,7,9 is too much IMHO.
I've looked through who's coming off contract plenty of times. We have DWZ at Fullback and the options available for 6, 7 and 9 are slim to none.

You buy the best left Centre in the game (that was still the best Centre with everything in the media going on). We're lacking in the Halves (not much is available) where Latrell can help out even from Centre (e.g. bombs, long kicking). We don't have one field goal option in the team (no one is comfortable taking them - Latrell can slot them). I don't see Meaney being in our team long term so we're going to need a goal kicker. Wakeham coming into the team might fix a few of those problems (I've only watched his NRL games and a few international games). If Latrell is heavily marked then that opens up more space and opportunities for other players. We have a good base already the last thing I want to do is start adding average players to it.

Some people are turned away with Latrell rejecting 800k from the Roosters but if anything the Roosters offering overs to keep a player should make us want him even more (it isn't how they operate). I obviously also rate his ability more then you but I'm not going to get into that because everyone sees different things I guess. I acknowledge the negatives people bring up but for me the positives outweigh them that's how good he is to me.

Taukeiaho was another ideal signing that we needed imo and the Roosters are going to upgrade him with Latrell's money. Is our club going to pay overs to sign someone like Taukeiaho? I'd say no but it's a wait and see. The more ideal players that we miss out on imo the more worried I'm going to be. The areas I've said we've needed to upgrade for ages now are Centre, Hooker, Prop and Winger. I'd say Halves too but there's no one available honestly.

If we continue to wait on rejects and opportunist players to pop up that no one wants or can fit in as our recruitment method I don't see us being competitive for 2021 either but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes I can't understand that some people on here seems to think there's more chance of Elliott, Montoya and Holland achieving this. Just too much risk involved for them. Like there's hundreds to choose from just as good as Mitchell. Club is being run by dumb f..ks at the moment.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've looked through who's coming off contract plenty of times. We have DWZ at Fullback and the options available for 6, 7 and 9 are slim to none.

You buy the best left Centre in the game (that was still the best Centre with everything in the media going on). We're lacking in the Halves (not much is available) where Latrell can help out even from Centre (e.g. bombs, long kicking). We don't have one field goal option in the team (no one is comfortable taking them - Latrell can slot them). I don't see Meaney being in our team long term so we're going to need a goal kicker. Wakeham coming into the team might fix a few of those problems (I've only watched his NRL games and a few international games). If Latrell is heavily marked then that opens up more space and opportunities for other players. We have a good base already the last thing I want to do is start adding average players to it.

Some people are turned away with Latrell rejecting 800k from the Roosters but if anything the Roosters offering overs to keep a player should make us want him even more (it isn't how they operate). I obviously also rate his ability more then you but I'm not going to get into that because everyone sees different things I guess. I acknowledge the negatives people bring up but for me the positives outweigh them that's how good he is to me.

Taukeiaho was another ideal signing that we needed imo and the Roosters are going to upgrade him with Latrell's money. Is our club going to pay overs to sign someone like Taukeiaho? I'd say no but it's a wait and see. The more ideal players that we miss out on imo the more worried I'm going to be. The areas I've said we've needed to upgrade for ages now are Centre, Hooker, Prop and Winger. I'd say Halves too but there's no one available honestly.

If we continue to wait on rejects and opportunist players to pop up that no one wants or can fit in as our recruitment method I don't see us being competitive for 2021 either but maybe that's just me.
Totally agree and just can't understand some people not wanting us to even offer something like 850K a season for 3-5 years He's worth that just as a potential gamebreaker. The kicking is a bonus

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I can't understand that some people on here seems to think there's more chance of Elliott, Montoya and Holland achieving this. Just too much risk involved for them. Like there's hundreds to choose from just as good as Mitchell. Club is being run by dumb f..ks at the moment.
Get a paperbag mate your hyperventilating again!

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

They aren't hypotheticals, they are concerns that have been raised in the press over the last few weeks from multiple sources, from the press, ex-players & RLPA.

We have all read it.

Clearly I am not a gambler, and Mitchell, on the money he wants, to only play only the position he dictates to our club, with all the red flags raised about him and the number of clubs who have just walked away from him so quickly, is too much of a gamble.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
It’s interesting. Of the teams that finished below us or missed the 8 the cowboys have improved their roster (even without Holmes), tigers with latrell likely, titans with Holbrook as coach should be a step forward, knights with brailey).

If titans fire I’m struggling to think of a worse team.

Dragons and panthers had shockers but on paper are way better than us.

Injuries played a big part for that for them too, sadly Foran gone has already dented us towards the spoon I think.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s interesting. Of the teams that finished below us or missed the 8 the cowboys have improved their roster (even without Holmes), tigers with latrell likely, titans with Holbrook as coach should be a step forward, knights with brailey).

If titans fire I’m struggling to think of a worse team.

Dragons and panthers had shockers but on paper are way better than us.

Injuries played a big part for that for them too, sadly Foran gone has already dented us towards the spoon I think.
Without heart we're a bottom four side. Titans and maybe Warriors only teams that you could argue are below us. The way I see it we need four to five top or emerging players signed to be a realistic chance of making the eight.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Without heart we're a bottom four side. Titans and maybe Warriors only teams that you could argue are below us. The way I see it we need four to five top or emerging players signed to be a realistic chance of making the eight.
If we can keep the best team on the park consistently we have a decent chance of making the 8.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we can keep the best team on the park consistently we have a decent chance of making the 8.
You could say the same thing for every team tho. We're a bottom four team on paper that has barely strengthened from last season. Placing us any higher is your heart not your brain. The only team people on the outside are placing below us are the Titans.