Official Bulldogs extend the contract of local junior Jake Averillo

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd have liked to see 1 year with a club option for another year.
If they progress well then snap them up for the 2nd year and look to upgrade and extend as needed.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I understand wanting cap flexibility etc but you sign older players to one and two year deals, not your best prospects who need to be the foundations of the club moving forward.

Averillo's salary right now wouldn't have an impact on our cap situation in future years no matter what the salary cap ends up being after the next TV deal is negotiated...

Either way, I'm glad Averillo isn't off contract short term, but I would have liked to see an extra year added to the deal.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can see both sides to it but at least he can't sign for another club until next November. So if he kills it we sign him long term and if he doesn't we aren't locked into a bad contract.

I know there is the argument that if we sign him long term now we get him cheaper but that doesn't work these days. Player managers just cause problems until they get a upgrade or release just look at the Ryan Matterson situation as a example.
Exactly right. I like keeping them hungry and although he’s being talked up as the next big thing, if that doesn’t pan out as often happens when he plays first grade at least we aren’t stuck with a dud long term.

It’s hard to please a lot of people on here but then again they’ve never run a chook raffle let alone a football team

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is clear as day that our current CEO and the management team have put together a plan in making our great club successful again
Like any good business these strategies are being kept in house and so they should be.
I have confidence moving forward and think we are building a squad that will stick together for a long time
A far cry from what Castle,Dib and associates delivered
The dogs will be a force again and dominate

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The positive side of having the youngsters on short term deals is it's motivation for them to perform and be the best they can be now. The downside is that they become free agents sooner if they live up to their potential. But as long as they're on the books, it allows us to selectively offer upgrades along the way if they step up and demand a place in the NRL.

I don't want the club locked into long term contracts on players that don't transition to the pace and physicality in the NRL.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The positive side of having the youngsters on short term deals is it's motivation for them to perform and be the best they can be now. The downside is that they become free agents sooner if they live up to their potential. But as long as they're on the books, it allows us to selectively offer upgrades along the way if they step up and demand a place in the NRL.

I don't want the club locked into long term contracts on players that don't transition to the pace and physicality in the NRL.
Hopefully it will be all up to him next season and the club will have no choice but to extend his deal for further years. Puts a bit of the onus back onto the player.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
who is he? if he was any good why cant he get past Holland or Montoya?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Exactly right. I like keeping them hungry and although he’s being talked up as the next big thing, if that doesn’t pan out as often happens when he plays first grade at least we aren’t stuck with a dud long term.

It’s hard to please a lot of people on here but then again they’ve never run a chook raffle let alone a football team
Got that same theory with coaching? :grinning:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen him play seems to get alot of wraps is he a centre or half and what style of player is he?

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I haven’t seen him play seems to get alot of wraps is he a centre or half and what style of player is he?
Do yourself a favour and check out some highlights. Will end up in the halves but a Centre also with some pace.