Official Bulldogs extend the contract of local junior Jake Averillo

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs are pleased to announce that they have extended the contract of talented back Jake Averillo for a further year, keeping him at Belmore until the end of the 2021 season.

The local junior, who was a product of the Moorebank Rams club, has come through the Bulldogs system, being a star member of the club's SG Ball side in 2018, before moving on to Jersey Flegg last season.
He also made an impressive entry into the Canterbury Cup in 2019 and has been rewarded for his progression by being named in the Bulldogs Top 30 NRL squad this season.

Averillo is now in full training with the NRL squad at Belmore and is a player to watch out for this season.

Really great news but I would have tied him up for a lot longer same as R Smith not sure 1 year deals will keep clubs away from these players

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Didn't think we'd get this done so soon. Good to see

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great news but he should have been extended longer! He is a very important piece of the puzzle going forward and I really hope he is let off the leash early next year.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs are pleased to announce that they have extended the contract of talented back Jake Averillo for a further year, keeping him at Belmore until the end of the 2021 season.

The local junior, who was a product of the Moorebank Rams club, has come through the Bulldogs system, being a star member of the club's SG Ball side in 2018, before moving on to Jersey Flegg last season.
He also made an impressive entry into the Canterbury Cup in 2019 and has been rewarded for his progression by being named in the Bulldogs Top 30 NRL squad this season.

Averillo is now in full training with the NRL squad at Belmore and is a player to watch out for this season.

Really great news but I would have tied him up for a lot longer same as R Smith not sure 1 year deals will keep clubs away from these players
I guess it means we get to see how they perform in 1st grade before throwing more money at them.. the negative is if they do well we could be up for big coin to keep them. I think the smith signing is more about seeing how he continues to develop. He has the ability to go from a solid first grader into a really good one.. but not sure he is quite there yet (I think he will get there)

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Throw him on the wing instead of Meaney... Then throw him into centre the year after with Harding comng onto the wing.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Great news but he should have been extended longer! He is a very important piece of the puzzle going forward and I really hope he is let off the leash early next year.
Notice how all recent extensions have only been done until the end of ‘21? (Excluding DWZ, or those done earlier eg: Stimson or CHN).

Can’t help but think this is part of some plan we will see unveiled soon enough...

But yeah, looking forward to seeing more of him in 2020.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I thought as well these 1 year deals are odd the likes of Remis Renouf and now Averillo I would have signed them for a lot longer especially Averillo and Smith it don't stop a club this time next year to ask questions hopefully Wakeman next but signs a longer deal

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought as well these 1 year deals are odd the likes of Remis Renouf and now Averillo I would have signed them for a lot longer especially Averillo and Smith it don't stop a club this time next year to ask questions hopefully Wakeman next but signs a longer deal
There must be some plan behind the one year deals there is just too many of them for there not be some thought process behind it.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Notice how all recent extensions have only been done until the end of ‘21? (Excluding DWZ, or those done earlier eg: Stimson or CHN).

Can’t help but think this is part of some plan we will see unveiled soon enough...

I believe nrl tv deal expires end of 2021. I could be wrong.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
There must be some plan behind the one year deals there is just too many of them for there not be some thought process behind it.
Definitely planned this way. Personally I like it. Keeps these guys wanting to improve and demand bigger contracts.

I'd be more concerned if other clubs weren't trying to sign our players. It means we are doing something right development wise to make them a wanted commodity.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe nrl tv deal expires end of 2021. I could be wrong.
Which will drive the cap, no doubt.

Maybe the club is giving themselves maximum flexibility, seeing which marquee player(s) they can get for 2021-2 and beyond and moulding the team around them.

Really hope we don't up in a similar situation to the Tiggers' Teddy/Moses/Sharon/Brooks fiasco...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely planned this way. Personally I like it. Keeps these guys wanting to improve and demand bigger contracts.

I'd be more concerned if other clubs weren't trying to sign our players. It means we are doing something right development wise to make them a wanted commodity.
Yeah I don't mind it either and let's be honest longer term deals never seems to work out well for the 'Dogs.

With such a young squad it is probably the right way to go so we can lock in the cream of the crop long term after some NRL experience.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Seems crazy to me. Yeah Elliott is a one year player but these recent extensions, those guys are the future to build around. What positive or good plan can anyone see with having majority of your roster's comtracts finishing together?

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems crazy to me. Yeah Elliott is a one year player but these recent extensions, those guys are the future to build around. What positive or good plan can anyone see with having majority of your roster's comtracts finishing together?
I'm hoping the Bulldogs have put in clauses where if they see a certain player performing they can essentially upgrade their contract during the year and locking them in further.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can see both sides to it but at least he can't sign for another club until next November. So if he kills it we sign him long term and if he doesn't we aren't locked into a bad contract.

I know there is the argument that if we sign him long term now we get him cheaper but that doesn't work these days. Player managers just cause problems until they get a upgrade or release just look at the Ryan Matterson situation as a example.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

The plan is that they probably don't have much of a plan lol. This just stops them being poached right now and another season to perform and be evaluated...maybe there's even options in the clubs favour in these contracts that is yet to be made public.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keeping the right guys at the club

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Really shows the club is not sitting on their hands. Things are happening all the time and will keep happening.