Latrell Mitchell Discussion Megathread

Is Latrell worth $1 Million?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno what you’re talking about @SweetFA.

The last thing I believe is what’s in the papers.

I didn’t want Mitchell purely on my business sensibilities and lack of ROI - no other reason and I’ve been clear about that.
Business sensibilities? I presume you mean business nous or awareness.
For arguments sake let’s set some KPIs
Firstly let’s look at what the current market dictates $1M in the NRL looks like:-
DCE value for money? Yes
Ponga value for money? Possibly
Klemmer @$800k value for money? No
Ben Hunt value for money? Questionable
J Taumalolo value for money? At 60mins p/game ???
J Tedesco value for money? Absolutely
C Smith value for money? Absolutely
Would L Mitchell look out of place in this company?NO
Given if this is what the maker dictates L Mitchell is a precious commodity.
Let’s address the ROI:
He’s 22
Has won 2 NRL premierships, represented state & country, 2019 poinstscorer by a country mile. You are getting an established an elite NRL player.
Is arguably the most prodigious talent in the code.
Indigenous proud family man. Would put bums on seats & attract considerably more corporate interest than we have currently.
Please feel free to find flaws in this school of thought...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Firstly let’s look at what the current market dictates $1M in the NRL looks like:-
DCE value for money? Yes
Let’s address the ROI:
He’s 22
Has won 2 NRL premierships, represented state & country, 2019 poinstscorer by a country mile. You are getting an established an elite NRL player.
Indigenous proud family man. Would put bums on seats & attract considerably more corporate interest than we have currently.
Good points actually but nothing that hasn't been said before. Still, well put.

I 100% agree that he's clearly an absolute talent and would add so much to our team. Would love him playing for us without doubt.

I'd argue, or more voice my concern that by paying 1m and over as is being reported does it then hamper our need to bolster other more important positions? I mean ... we've just lost our key half and are going into next season with 2 relatively inexperienced potentials playing there. Who's going to be leading our attack so that Mitchell benefits and plays well?

Our fullback has only started to find his feet but is doing well. Our hooker ... well, clearly it's an area of concern. You could say our props really haven't taken the world by storm, especially Napa. We've got positions all over the field that need more class in them.

I think this is the concern really. For the right amount I'd say OK, but I worry that spending so much on a player that won't impact the game as much as a half or hooker will leave us wanting in other areas.

Is this about value for money? If our team had a strong spine. A fully fit Foran. I'd be more than happy to pay the X amount needed for him. Presently though I worry. Which is what I believe @DkinkumDog and others are saying, aren't they?

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can honestly see both sides of this argument, if everything went our way or even a bit more regarding the cap relief for Foran i'd be more than happy to sign LM. If he came over with all the right intentions get him here.
I still think right now he's the best Centre in the league, with the right coaching and hunger he could develop similar to Munster as a 5/8. Very similar in my opinion, just needs more work in that area obviously. There is nothing wrong with him staying at Centre either, offers so much. His ceiling is so much higher I believe.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can honestly see both sides of this argument, if everything went our way or even a bit more regarding the cap relief for Foran i'd be more than happy to sign LM. If he came over with all the right intentions get him here.
I still think right now he's the best Centre in the league, with the right coaching and hunger he could develop similar to Munster as a 5/8. Very similar in my opinion, just needs more work in that area obviously. There is nothing wrong with him staying at Centre either, offers so much. His ceiling is so much higher I believe.
Yeah, if things go our way re Foran then I certainly wouldn't be against it. But I simply don't see that happening.

We've been bending over for the NRL for years and years. Won't stop now. Just watch.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, if things go our way re Foran then I certainly wouldn't be against it. But I simply don't see that happening.

We've been bending over for the NRL for years and years. Won't stop now. Just watch.
Sadly agree mate.
Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even offer the 350k to us.

axeman23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
But I thought he was a bad person, and a selfish **** or something according to the kennel
No one said he was Ivan bloody Milat, rather that he drifts in and out of games and gets narky when things don't go his way on the field. Him being there fighting the fires in some capacity is great, and the most dedicated hater have a tough time spinning it in a negative direction. But that doesn't change the ON-FIELD negatives/potential negatives people see in a MARQUEE SIGNING! Hasn't Foran burnt us enough where we should look into things a bit more cynically?

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DCE value for money? Yes
Let’s address the ROI:
He’s 22
As an addendum & to put it in a Bulldogs perspective
This season:
Hopoate @$650k
Tolman @$500-$600k
Elliott @ $450k
Do they offer better ROI than L Mitchell @ $1M
What is value for money?
Thoughts & rationale?

Last edited:

axeman23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This season:
Hopoate @$650k
Tolman @$500-$600k
Elliott @ $450k
Thoughts & rationale?
Tolman and Elliot's contracts were signed under the old coach/regime, so they shouldn't be held against this one, or fans who didn't support that spending in the first place. Hoppa has re-upped with us under Pay/Anderson, and while I might feel more comfortable shaving $50-100k or so off his contract, at least he's out there week after week giving 100% effort.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
DCE value for money? Yes
Let’s address the ROI:
He’s 22
Sure - nous - whatever you wanna call it.

No idea why you called out his race - has zero to do with the debate in my view. If he’s a family man great that ticks a box for our club.

But to me this is only about money and the value for that money - hence ROI.

None of the players you listed as ‘absolutely’ worth $1m/year earned anywhere near that coin at 22.

Now: Smith 36 / DCE 30 / Teddy 26

Teddy is the closest in age at 26 and 4 years ago playing at the Tigers if anyone suggested he was worth $1m/year I doubt you’d find many who would’ve agreed. Now, sure, he’s part of a champion team and his talent shines.

On your list only Ponga is close to Mitchell in age and you yourself say he’s ‘possibly’ worth $1m/year. The Knights still didn’t make the 8 despite splashing massive coin on Ponga, Pearce, Klemmer and more.

No one doubts Mitchell can play, but I believe that much of what he’s achieved is due to being part of a great team rather than individual brilliance. At 22 he has a lot to prove about his longevity on that sort of coin.

If he’s the catch that many on here claim - why has no-one signed him yet and why did his own club pull their very generous offer?

Bottom line: I just don’t see him as a good fit for our team for where we currently are.

You’re entitled to your views mate, as am I.
We’ll agree to disagree.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

I 100% agree that he's clearly an absolute talent and would add so much to our team. Would love him playing for us without doubt.

I'd argue, or more voice my concern that by paying 1m and over as is being reported does it then hamper our need to bolster other more important positions? I mean ... we've just lost our key half and are going into next season with 2 relatively inexperienced potentials playing there. Who's going to be leading our attack so that Mitchell benefits and plays well?

Our fullback has only started to find his feet but is doing well. Our hooker ... well, clearly it's an area of concern. You could say our props really haven't taken the world by storm, especially Napa. We've got positions all over the field that need more class in them.

I think this is the concern really. For the right amount I'd say OK, but I worry that spending so much on a player that won't impact the game as much as a half or hooker will leave us wanting in other areas.

Is this about value for money? If our team had a strong spine. A fully fit Foran. I'd be more than happy to pay the X amount needed for him. Presently though I worry. Which is what I believe @DkinkumDog and others are saying, aren't they?
Yes Slovenia! 100%.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
This season:
Hopoate @$650k
Tolman @$500-$600k
Elliott @ $450k
What is value for money?
Thoughts & rationale?
Hoppa and Tolman both on Des/Dib back ended contracts for 2020 - so likely more than they’re worth. ROI? For that sort of coin it’s a stretch, but it’s not $1m and they’ve earned a few loyalty points at the Dogs and Hoppa was our player of the year in 2019.

Elliot no way ROI. I said a couple of days ago if it were my decision I would not extend him beyond 2020.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Yes and yes
Good post, that’s how you have to look at your squad and build the team in the right positions
Well done

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This season:
Hopoate @$650k
Tolman @$500-$600k
Elliott @ $450k
What is value for money?
Thoughts & rationale?
Those figures, if not spot on, near enough to accurate from all thats been revealed and discussed in the media.

My opinion has turned 180° on this.

I have gotten to the point of realising we aren't getting anywhere without a radical new injection of attacking talent.

LM elite and all thats available. We must take the opportunity.

50% chance we will be lazy and high maintenance but will win us games.

50% he will realise his full potential and be as influential as DZW and they will lift us up together.

The club is in the also ran category atm and needs a huge lift. LM the only available player in the next few years who has the talent to provide that impetuous and spark we desperately need.

IMO we need what he offers and must take the punt on him....of course its up to the coach and staff to ensure they get our money's worth.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
so has he signed yet with us or anyone or tomorrow?

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the spine right first, latrell aint gonna do much without decent players inside him
That could possibly mean sticking with Montoya/Holland/Hopoate in the centres until a decent spine player is not only available but also would be convinced to sign with us. Could take years to sign good quality spine players or have one of ours develop into an elite player.
Having a gun centre could help our current halves too

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure - nous - whatever you wanna call it.

No idea why you called out his race - has zero to do with the debate in my view. If he’s a family man great that ticks a box for our club.

But to me this is only about money and the value for that money - hence ROI.

None of the players you listed as ‘absolutely’ worth $1m/year earned anywhere near that coin at 22.

Now: Smith 36 / DCE 30 / Teddy 26

Teddy is the closest in age at 26 and 4 years ago playing at the Tigers if anyone suggested he was worth $1m/year I doubt you’d find many who would’ve agreed. Now, sure, he’s part of a champion team and his talent shines.

On your list only Ponga is close to Mitchell in age and you yourself say he’s ‘possibly’ worth $1m/year. The Knights still didn’t make the 8 despite splashing massive coin on Ponga, Pearce, Klemmer and more.

No one doubts Mitchell can play, but I believe that much of what he’s achieved is due to being part of a great team rather than individual brilliance. At 22 he has a lot to prove about his longevity on that sort of coin.

If he’s the catch that many on here claim - why has no-one signed him yet and why did his own club pull their very generous offer?

Bottom line: I just don’t see him as a good fit for our team for where we currently are.

You’re entitled to your views mate, as am I.
We’ll agree to disagree.
Absolutely, don’t get your point re value
Commensurate to age rather than talent.

Right now, Latrell Mitchell is the most talented player on the NRL & on the market & the market dictates the value. But a player’s worth is what a club is prepared to pay.
But good to have robust debate
Enjoy your posts regardless