News Kieran Foran to miss 12 months with two shoulder surgeries

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he retires now he misses out on 1.2M for next season. Must of us would decide the same for that. He can always announce he's retiring after he's collected the $$$. His first priority will be that pay day ahead of the Dogs unfortunately. If only he could be medically retired he could still get the payout and we would have the cap space free. Seems though it's classed as a treatable injury.

I WAS all for re-signing Foran for 2021 with a downgrade but now I think we're mad if we offered him anything more than 115K minimum wage and even that's a big risk. Really he should be willing to play for bare minimum in future to pay us back.
If he agrees to be be medically retired, he will still get his $1.2M. If the club/NRL has been able to arrange the necessary insurance for this season (has been hard to do in the past), he'd be covered by insurance. If not, the club would pay.

Whether or not that payment is included in next years cap will be determined by the NRL. From what I can find, it needs to be a new injury. From https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10...rement-nrl-rabbitohs-shoulder-injury/11653400...

Salary cap rules state that if a player is to be medically retired, they must have "had no similar injury or medical condition to that area of the body that either has or could reasonably be predicted medically to lead to a degenerative condition of that area of the body prior to signing his last NRL contract".

The club statement said the the "...initial surgury revealed that there was new and additional damage to the shoulder that will require Kieran to undergo further surgery later this month...". Now, does this qualify with the above? Fucked if I know, but that's what the club would have to prove to the NRL IF (big if) Foz agrees to the medical retirement.

If Foz doesn't agree, its all a moot point.

All in all, its just a shit situation. I couldn't see this exact thing happening when we first signed Foz, but I was worried it would end up something like this.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suggest the Kennel members take out a lottery ticket, your luck has to change soon.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the best the admin can do is provide 350K cap relief for a 1.2M player injured while playing a rep game I think the club is fully entitled to ban their players from playing future rep games. FULL cap relief is the least they should do. What about all the potential money the Dogs miss out on if they can't replace him with someone of similar value, their crowds drop and they win less games as a direct result (fail to make the semis possibly because of it)

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no point wasting emotions on the Foran situation. He's gone from the field, never to return. The club will try to get cap relief somehow for this year but I won't be counting on that in a hurry, and who's available anyway? TBH I just prefer the certainty of knowing Foran is gone for sure, regardless of the salary cap impacts. At least Pay can work out a strategy to use the strengths of the players we've got, rather than some half-arsed game-plan while we wait for Foran to ride in on his white stallion to save the day again.

We just have to hope our three young halves and two young hookers can deliver next year. Makes Isaac Luke look a bit more attractive, just for experience, cause I don't see anyone who can steer the ship right now. It's probably gonna have to be Cogger that gets first crack, or maybe Wakeham. DWZ's talk at the back gets more important now, so I think he's a lock at fullback, if he wasn't already.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
$350k compensation is enough to get Brodie Croft at the Bulldogs for at least next season and have it in the clubs favour for further seasons dependent on form.

The Bulldogs have already stated that they have $400k available to spend for 2020 plus Forans $350k compensation from the NRL.

Croft is on $400k for seasons 2020 & 2021 and while the Storm and Croft both want to part ways the Storm have stated they won't pay for Croft to be at another club hence why the negotiations between the Broncos and Croft have come to a halt.

$400k for a halfback is a steal, he has been in Melbournes system for years now and learnt his trade under Cronk in that time. Time and time again his game has been compared to Cronks but because Cronk and Cam Smith are no longer on talking terms Croft is being pushed out.
Our recruitment committee members are too busy with other shit in their regular jobs to find out which manager represents him and their phone number.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the best the admin can do is provide 350K cap relief for a 1.2M player injured while playing a rep game I think the club is fully entitled to ban their players from playing future rep games. FULL cap relief is the least they should do. What about all the potential money the Dogs miss out on if they can't replace him with someone of similar value, their crowds drop and they win less games as a direct result (fail to make the semis possibly because of it)
You whinge about the club not being able to sign players like Latrell then want the club to ban them playing in cash cow rep games....

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure you would!
If i was in his position i would feel guilty for only playing 33% of my contract.
Id help the club with retirement on medical grounds, so they would have the cap relief even when i still got my contract for 2020.
Then come back from retirement when injurys come good.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The club should tell Foran to retire so we can get our cap exemption and offer him an incentive $500k in rooster I mean brown paper bags

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gets back from 2 and a bit months snowboarding in Europe to this...

Fran sure knows how to annoy me to no end

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
foran is a liability not an asset, again the team suffers by the signing of a player who never should have been signed on anymore than a year to year deal

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
We've made some ridiculous signings in the last decade at our club but Foran (all things considered) is far and away the worst and most negligent signing we have ever made.

It doesn't matter how hard he tries and how committed he is when he can't even make it onto the field. It was a disgusting signing in hindsight and he needs to be moved on ASAP.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Glass half full for a minute.. We get minimum $350k compensation and maybe more if negotiated properly. After the situation settles in and Foran realizes what is ahead of him and that we are not going to offer him a contract, he may think differently. Based on the last 4 years and the medical issue he has now + his age, no club not even the sea beagles are going to offer him big money future contracts with all that risk, if anything at all..

It maybe possible that we can come to an arrangement where he walks away from the dogs and settles for a lessor amount while he recovers and then goes back into the market if he gets better, or we offer him a deal where he has guaranteed employment for a couple of years coaching or something. Then, if he eventually does have to completely retire from the game its in return for taking a reduced payout now.

It also gives the young halves a chance to make it their own in 2020. I am tipping we will make at least one purchase for 2020 before January and we will make the 8 next year on the back of a strong start to the season.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly, Foran's comments about playing on was with the knowledge he would return playing in 2020.

Now with the latest news of two more operations required let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now and see what his response will be based on this.

Also, I am sure I heard correctly on the radio that there is a 'NEW' problem with the shoulder along with existing. So with this, there could be an argument from the Dogs to medically retire him (if Foran agree's) based on the new injury or at the very least further compensation over and above the current $350k.

None of this can happen though if Foran can't realise his days as a footy player are over.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Put a fork in him, he is done.

He needs to retire asap, I just hope he realises that. All the money we have invested in him, all the medical bills and so forth he needs to repay us by doing what's best for the club and walk away.