What are your thoughts on getting someone like Phil Gould to head up our recruitment committee ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we hired him "short term" til his commitments with Ch9 increase again to simply "negotiate" with players on our behalf it wouldn't give him too much power to take control.

I'd like to have someone like Peter Moore doing our bidding again who was great with both players AND their families. While Gould is no Peter Moore I think he'd get a lot further and make more impact than Hill / Hughes.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If we hired him "short term" til his commitments with Ch9 increase again to simply "negotiate" with players on our behalf it wouldn't give him too much power to take control.

I'd like to have someone like Peter Moore doing our bidding again who was great with both players AND their families. While Gould is no Peter Moore I think he'd get a lot further and make more impact than Hill / Hughes.
Lynn plays the family role now.
That was fairly evident when Folkesy died.

Also heard from one of the younger guys who joined us for 2019 that the club were great with him and family with re-location to Sydney.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talent scout and recruitment officer two different things... Mark Hughes would’vehad to convince him to sign with us etc
Wrong again John Ackland as talent scout was part of our recruitment team at the time,also had the role of welfare for the kiwis/Polynesian recruits - M Hughes had nothing to do with SBW signing. He was signed on Ackland’s word & eye for talent.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mark Hughes is on our recruitment team, the OP, said we don’t have experience there.. we got one of the most experienced recruitment officers who know the club through and through. We don’t need Gould. Just ask panthers fans how their plan went with gould
I'm a little bit worried some of the posters here don't know who Mark Hughes is, and what he has done for the clubs he has been involved in.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrong again John Ackland as talent scout was part of our recruitment team at the time,also had the role of welfare for the kiwis/Polynesian recruits - M Hughes had nothing to do with SBW signing. He was signed on Ackland’s word & eye for talent.
Recruitment manager/officer are not talent scouts... they negotiate the deals once the talent scout gives word on who they think the club should go for... if you don’t think Mark Hughes players a huge role in bringing a lot of players to the club especially from our 04 side, I don’t know what else to tell ya

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recruitment manager/officer are not talent scouts... they negotiate the deals once the talent scout gives word on who they think the club should go for... if you don’t think Mark Hughes players a huge role in bringing a lot of players to the club especially from our 04 side, I don’t know what else to tell ya
Say what you like, I’ve worked in the NRL for 2 decades, so quit the semantics. I’ll write it slowly for you:-Mark Hughes has zero influence in signing SBW. I know all the terms & negotiations that were done & FYI it was all done in 2001/2002.

Mark Hughes was responsible for putting the roster together that won Souths the 2014 premiership & was headhunted by Gus to the Panthers to do the same.
Although he hasn’t been in his current role too long he’s generally been underwhelming - although in his defence Opes had been dictated the recruitment agenda. Even now M Hughes & our Club in general do not have a good relationship with the majority of player managers.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We certainly do not need a consultant. The expertise available with the guys we have is far better than anything Gould can offer.
Dunn, Price, Lamb, Mortimer, Thomas etc offer more than he can.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES ANOTHER THREAD SORRY but I'm interested to get opinion on this. Gould still has a soft spot for the Dogs and I got the feeling he may have helped influence DWZ and CHN to come to the Dogs. He's got a lot of experience (unlike the rest of our current committee) and is fairly well respected. He'd have a bit more free time at the moment during the off season from his commitments with Ch9 . Maybe we could hire him short term ? Even if not Gould maybe someone else with experience.
Great football brain,but overstayed his welcome at Penrith,would like to see come on board,for a short term stay to assist the football department

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Say what you like, I’ve worked in the NRL for 2 decades, so quit the semantics. I’ll write it slowly for you:-Mark Hughes has zero influence in signing SBW. I know all the terms & negotiations that were done & FYI it was all done in 2001/2002.

Mark Hughes was responsible for putting the roster together that won Souths the 2014 premiership & was headhunted by Gus to the Panthers to do the same.
Although he hasn’t been in his current role too long he’s generally been underwhelming - although in his defence Opes had been dictated the recruitment agenda. Even now M Hughes & our Club in general do not have a good relationship with the majority of player managers.
I’ll write it for you at a quicker pace... Mark Hughes put the deal together with sbw...

player managers don’t have good relationships with clubs in general... that’s quite obvious.

and yes I am aware about Mark Hughes dealings at Souths, hence why they hired him based on his work for us..

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
YES ANOTHER THREAD SORRY but I'm interested to get opinion on this. Gould still has a soft spot for the Dogs and I got the feeling he may have helped influence DWZ and CHN to come to the Dogs. He's got a lot of experience (unlike the rest of our current committee) and is fairly well respected. He'd have a bit more free time at the moment during the off season from his commitments with Ch9 . Maybe we could hire him short term ? Even if not Gould maybe someone else with experience.
No

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Phil Gould to replace our current knob CEO

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Gould joins us he will be working as a double agent for Politi$.. He will undermine our club from within..

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Make him the Chairman, CEO, General manager and Director of football department at least he will get results! Best brain in Rugby League with plenty of commercial connections! I know he ruffles a few feathers along the way but fuck me he knows how to get the job done!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We certainly do not need a consultant. The expertise available with the guys we have is far better than anything Gould can offer.
Dunn, Price, Lamb, Mortimer, Thomas etc offer more than he can.
But none of them really have experience "negotiating" to sign new players outside the club and of these only Price is on the current recruitment committee

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think so mate.
Nick is a lovely bloke
You would be surprised about how much gus actually knows about us already and has for some time
He has known about our salary cap mess long before in fact at least 2 years before everyone knew
If Gould joins us he will be working as a double agent for Politi$.. He will undermine our club from within..

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't think so mate.
Nick is a lovely bloke
You would be surprised about how much gus actually knows about us already and has for some time
He has known about our salary cap mess long before in fact at least 2 years before everyone knew
Is this the same Politi$ that did everything to get Thurston from our club even though he was under contract with us... then systematically pillaged our club post our 2004 GF win.. signing Mason Anasta Myles Omeley plus others.. then signed SBW ( whos angst with our club many people believe was started from Politis)..

Politi$ only cares about the Rorter$.. not rugby league and no other club..

Politi$ is a Lovely bloke? Ive never met him myself so can only judge him by his actions in rugby league..

But using your words ive met some lovely blokes in our club, and im sure many here can vouch for: The Mortimer brothers, Terry Lamb, Dr Peponis, Dr Hazard, so many past players etc etc... They are all lovely blokes..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Make him the Chairman, CEO, General manager and Director of football department at least he will get results! Best brain in Rugby League with plenty of commercial connections! I know he ruffles a few feathers along the way but fuck me he knows how to get the job done!
Gould has built a strong reputation in league. But in his coaching stints he basically carried on with successful teams that we're well drilled. His term as a CEO at Penrith saw him invest more money on development of juniors. But for a team with a HUGE recruitment catchment it was only common sense to work hard on finding the local talent. Aside from that their player retention was pretty poor. Even in his commentary roles I think a lot of people mistake hindsight for wisdom. I have a 100% record for picking race winners when the race has been run which is the basic premise of how Gould commentated.

I really don't want him in any role at our club.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He needs to run the game with vlandys
What our club needs is for Gould, Vlandy's and Politis running the NRL if they are not already doing it, and I'm sure that would help our club big time and put the Roosters in their place.