What are your thoughts on getting someone like Phil Gould to head up our recruitment committee ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES ANOTHER THREAD SORRY but I'm interested to get opinion on this. Gould still has a soft spot for the Dogs and I got the feeling he may have helped influence DWZ and CHN to come to the Dogs. He's got a lot of experience (unlike the rest of our current committee) and is fairly well respected. He'd have a bit more free time at the moment during the off season from his commitments with Ch9 . Maybe we could hire him short term ? Even if not Gould maybe someone else with experience.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES ANOTHER THREAD SORRY but I'm interested to get opinion on this. Gould still has a soft spot for the Dogs and I got the feeling he may have helped influence DWZ and CHN to come to the Dogs. He's got a lot of experience (unlike the rest of our current committee) and is fairly well respected. He'd have a bit more free time at the moment during the off season from his commitments with Ch9 . Maybe we could hire him short term ? Even if not Gould maybe someone else with experience.
Wow!!! Seriously bro, Mark Hughes, that is all...

Banned
Reaction score
I've said in the past that he has a LOT to offer, if he comes across as an independent consultant.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Been said before he would be a welcome addition, frankly getting sick of the what if’s it should we sign this one or that one..!! Our board needs to get something done and soon.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been said before he would be a welcome addition, frankly getting sick of the what if’s it should we sign this one or that one..!! Our board needs to get something done and soon.
No we don’t! No big player will sign in the first week of November for the 2021 season! Unless ridiculous money is being thrown... Why doesn’t anyone understand this!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know about having that overlord at the club.. sure he did a lot of good off the field at Pemriff.. but on the field it was just a constant merry-go-round and now they are going backwards

Last edited:

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No to Gould. Would want full control. Mark Hughes is good enough but I’d love to get Mulholland

he was already at our club before going canberra, didn’t do much

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark Hughes is on our recruitment team, the OP, said we don’t have experience there.. we got one of the most experienced recruitment officers who know the club through and through. We don’t need Gould. Just ask panthers fans how their plan went with gould
I may be wrong but I believe Mark Hughes' focus is on juniors (as in spotting them) not established NRL players. Also I'm unaware of any big names he's signed. If you can please advise I'd be interested to know.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No to Gould. Would want full control. Mark Hughes is good enough but I’d love to get Mulholland.
Yes I'm a big fan of Mullholland too but I read he's got some serious medical problem unfortunately. Think he might focus on juniors also.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I believe Mark Hughes' focus is on juniors (as in spotting them) not established NRL players. Also I'm unaware of any big names he's signed. If you can please advise I'd be interested to know.
part of recruitment is overseeing the junior systems in place... originally in 04, he found SBW, and a heap of our premiership winning squad, and being on the recruitment committee he was responsible for bringing in players like CHN, DWZ etc...

Gould did not influence their decision, they just ring him for advice and he just spoke well about the club...

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gould has shown that hes a good talking head on the TV. His success off the field as a consultant has been abominable.
Have a good look at what he achieved at Souths and Penrith. You will find very little success at either club.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould has shown that hes a good talking head on the TV. His success off the field as a consultant has been abominable.
Have a good look at what he achieved at Souths and Penrith. You will find very little success at either club.
He needs to run the game with vlandys

Banned
Reaction score
As I suggested above, Gould would only benefit us as a consultant, and not as staff.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I suggested above, Gould would only benefit us as a consultant, and not as staff.
We aren’t in crisis, we don’t need a consultant

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
part of recruitment is overseeing the junior systems in place... originally in 04, he found SBW, and a heap of our premiership winning squad, and being on the recruitment committee he was responsible for bringing in players like CHN, DWZ etc...

Gould did not influence their decision, they just ring him for advice and he just spoke well about the club...
Good to know :o

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I highly doubt Gould could offer better coffee than Pay to entice players to join the Blue and White. I mean Pay uses Nescafé can’t beat that