Foran to retire !

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
David Holland, the source of reliability and truth!

I wouldn’t believe this, just because the Sharks are trying to create cap space and shed either Moylan or Dugan as a priority.

Moylan is a massive liability, not only in the injury department.

We have 3 young halves, they should be given their chance.
I agree, barring say a Keary being available I see no benefit to players like Johnson or Moylan. Over priced players who never lived up to their potential and never will. Well maybe Moylan did but Johnson certainly didn't. Just a touch footy player really.

I would be giving Wakeham a proper crack at FG next year from round 1 with a whole pre-season in charge. I see more in Wakeham then both those players combined plus he's young, unbroken, cheap and a Bulldog! Don't give him his go and he will gone.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It would be great news if true but like others have said, Triple M honestly have pretty much never been right with a rumour so until I see something official, I'm not getting my hopes up.

If he retires though, wouldn't he forfeit his salary for the upcoming year? Or at worst, he'd reach a settlement for a smaller portion of his contract? If so, why wouldn't he see out the year to get his full $1.2 million?
good question.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jackson is an old head, shove Toleman in the mix too, as he's oft got hands on the ball in the last few in a set!

Are you the reincarnation of Nasheed?
Oh lord.. Tolman thinking he needs to take charge of the ball more .. kill me.

Last edited:

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Medical retirement from bulldogs next minute gets phone call off des Hasler to come to manly to play or coach

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If his family is rich like some say and he's saved a few dollars I really don't know why he plays on. Why risk more long term damage to his body than he already has ? If he retired we should sign Cody Walker (and Mitchell to run off him :o))
He plays because he loves the game and actually has a passion for something and is not after a pay check. Will probably play Group 5 or something when he finishes here.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Medical retirement from bulldogs next minute gets phone call off des Hasler to come to manly to play or coach
I had the same suspicion.
He’ll likely have to do something with the Dogs in 2020 to fulfil his contract.
Beyond that I can’t see him staying.
We’ll see, I could be wrong.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I had the same suspicion.
He’ll likely have to do something with the Dogs in 2020 to fulfil his contract.
Beyond that I can’t see him staying.
We’ll see, I could be wrong.
I agree and believe his loyalties will always lie with Des and Manly.
Des did put him on the most ridiculous contract in history

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so based on Foran getting injured playing test footy we can claim $350k should he not play the first 13 week's of the 2020 competition which looks like the obvious scenario.

I have a question for my well informed and never wrong Kennelers ;)

Should he retire because of this injury sustained while playing Representative footy, what 'further' compensation is available to the Club?

Is there a further salary cap dispensation given should Foran retire due to this injury and if so what is it? Surely there has to be, right?

Insurance - wouldn't all Rugby League Representative Nations have insurance for their representative players which in this case cover Foran for loss of salary due to forced retirement? Workers Comp for instance.

I wouldn't know as a player has not retired after being injured sustained in a rep game since the new rule was introduced so I'd be interested to find out because this is massive for us as it is the difference between signing new players and not.

Surely the club has a case, right?

Last edited:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Ok, so based on Foran getting injured playing test footy we can claim $350k should he not play the first 13 week's of the 2020 competition which looks like the obvious scenario.

I have a question for my well informed and never wrong Kennelers ;)

Should he retire because of this injury sustained while playing Representative footy, what 'further' compensation is available to the Club?

Is there a further salary cap dispensation given should Foran retire due to this injury and if so what is it? Surely there has to be, right?

Insurance - wouldn't all Rugby League Representative Nations have insurance for their representative players which in this case cover Foran for loss of salary due to forced retirement? Worker Comp for instance.

I wouldn't know as a player has not retired after being injured sustained in a rep game since the new rule was introduced so I'd be interested to find out because this is massive for us as it is the difference between signing new players and not.

Surely the club has a case, right?
Ok so firstly I don't know but working on a people don't pay if they don't have to attitude this would be my guess.

Due to scans etc saying he can return from this particular injury then we would only get the 350k if we intend to play him and keep him on our books for next year.

If he walks away I imagine they will wipe their hands of the issue as they would say it wasn't career ending and he could return if he wanted to.

I assume though that the medical bills for him to get back to "healthy" would be paid by the rep system either way.

That would be my guess....

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still think its up to him, we are not going to find another Foran for for 2020.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ok so firstly I don't know but working on a people don't pay if they don't have to attitude this would be my guess.

Due to scans etc saying he can return from this particular injury then we would only get the 350k if we intend to play him and keep him on our books for next year.

If he walks away I imagine they will wipe their hands of the issue as they would say it wasn't career ending and he could return if he wanted to.

I assume though that the medical bills for him to get back to "healthy" would be paid by the rep system either way.

That would be my guess....

We need to make sure Foran misses the first 13 games regardless. The 13th game is on the 8th June meaning we will then have 3 weeks to identify and find a player before June 30. Hopefully we can snag a DWZ type player at that time and give our season a boost like 2019.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We need to make sure Foran misses the first 13 games regardless. The 13th game is on the 8th June meaning we will then have 3 weeks to identify and find a player before June 30. Hopefully we can snag a DWZ type player at that time and give our season a boost like 2019.
Option A sounds better, him retiring now!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This won't really change anything for us in the short term tbh, I don't think there is anyone worth investing big bucks into for next year and Foran was coming off contract at the end of next year anyway.

Atleast we won't have to worry every time he touches the ball that he will get injured.
I think it does. It will allow us to even the playing field so to speak, with regards to player payments.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
If we cant find anyone else Id take reynolds on 300k for 12 mths.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Josh Reynolds? We'd have to take him for two years minimum - remaining length of his current Tigers contract. We're also allowing Tigers to have more money available to steal our targets for 2021. If we didn't sign Katoa I would of liked him back as a 14 and if he impressed (similar to Benji going back to the Tigers) possibly a starting spot. I think that ship has sailed now tho. We also have to play Wakeham otherwise he isn't going to resign and I still think Lewis is our best Half (not including Foran).

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At the very least it’s 350k plus the 400k in the kitty
Or the full 1m plus 400k = 1.4m

what’s David Fifita doing these days lol

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
At the very least it’s 350k plus the 400k in the kitty
Or the full 1m plus 400k = 1.4m

what’s David Fifita doing these days lol
Isn't Foran on 1.2m next year? First year 800k, second year 1m and third year 1.2m.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Probably not the right player for us tbh… Would add plenty but would rather just throw the young halves in. Make them prove their worth over the pre-season and who ever looks likely throw them in, then you can gauge who gets replaced. If it doesn't work out with any then we still have until June 30 to make a purchase..

Yes Its a risk though can be considered a safe bet as plenty of things change in 6 months...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Probably not the right player for us tbh… Would add plenty but would rather just throw the young halves in. Make them prove their worth over the pre-season and who ever looks likely throw them in, then you can gauge who gets replaced. If it doesn't work out with any then we still have until June 30 to make a purchase..

Yes Its a risk though can be considered a safe bet as plenty of things change in 6 months...
We just need to get 2021 right. A lot of people probably don't like writing of a season - anything can happen tho. We don't want to buy to be slightly better in 2020 when there're better options available.