Poll: Will the bulldogs make a big signing in the next 12 months?

Will the Bulldogs make a big signing in the next 12 months?

• Yes

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 63 59.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We have multiple players on back ended deals (and on contracts that're higher then their value due to misjudging the salary cap) and we're still paying players to play at other clubs. Next year is the last year of it. We're basically a 7m team in a 9m salary cap.

The current/previous strategy is simple. Buying opportunist signings or reject players that no other club wants or can fit in because that's where the value is (but for some reason we paid overs for Napa - panic signing if you ask me). We're not going to be getting any players on peoples "top talent list" tho without paying overs.
Ok who and how much?
Also I doubt it is any of the back 5.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No they are my estimates.
Why do you think they are wildly off the mark?
If anything Meaney & Smith are probably high.

Look my very clear and completely accurate point is the club is massively under investing in the back 5.
With speculation West Tigers are going to sign Mitchell on $1.1m to $1.3m, they already have Mybe on $950k those two players would be earning more than our entire back 5.

Yes we have some solid guys there in our backs but that's about it. No big strike power or game changer.
People don't like seeing others give estimates on what a player is on or worth (unless it's documented - and even then they say it isn't 100%). It isn't 100% but it's an estimate which point behind it can't be ignored.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes hello...accurate guesses, if anything Meaney & Smith could be high.

Oh please the club has feed nothing but lies to idiot rugby league "journalist" (that's a fucking joke calling them journalists) about the "salary cap crisis".

I mean look at our squad for christ sake and tell me how we can have salary cap issues?

But back to my main point, we are under spending on the back 5 and the team has a problem as a result that it can't score points. A guy like Mitchell comes up who scored 19 tries last season, leading point scorer, can make heaps of line breaks & kick the ball 60 plus meters and we pass.

Please enlightenment me on the strategy on how we are going to get some strike power into our backline.
Cool your jets champion.

We have salary cap issues in 2020 because we will still be paying the final components of significant contracts of some players who left the club in 2018 and the settlement of a certain former coach who left in 2017.

2019 was our worst year for paying down those debts - the position improves for 2020 but it’s not 100% clear until the end of season 2020, and maybe even then due to cashflow realities some of that debt gets pushed to 2021 (but it won’t be significant).

You think the club is so rich and clicks their fingers to pay these huge sums? If so that belief is just plain wrong.

Our salary cap issues have never exclusively been about the existing squad, even though that still bites in certain examples - so that nullifies your point.

I’m not going to bother addressing the rest of your speculation because that’s all it is - but to answer your question on strategy - I believe we are going to find out in the coming weeks and months pre and post 2020 kick-off for 2021 - which has always been the goal - we were told face to face by the directors in May 2018.

The strategy has never changed.

And strategy for 2021 I think you’ll find will be similar for most clubs. Do you see our competitors announcing 2021 deals now? No.

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
People don't like seeing others give estimates on what a player is on or worth (unless it's documented - and even then they say it isn't 100%). It isn't 100% but it's an estimate which point behind it can't be ignored.
Ha...what?
People speculate on player salaries here all the fucking time.

Point is the club has got it totally fucking wrong by not being in a position to sign an explosive dynamic centre or fullback to improve our back 5 for 2020.

FACT the club is spending less on the back 5 than any other club.

FAct we are flat out scoring more than 3 tries a game.

FACT you are going to lose more games than you win if you can only score 3 tries a game.

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Cool your jets champion.

We have salary cap issues in 2020 because we will still be paying the final components of significant contracts of some players who left the club in 2018 and the settlement of a certain former coach who left in 2017.

2019 was our worst year for paying down those debts - the position improves for 2020 but it’s not 100% clear until the end of season 2020, and maybe even then due to cashflow realities some of that debt gets pushed to 2021 (but it won’t be significant).

You think the club is so rich and clicks their fingers to pay these huge sums? If so that belief is just plain wrong.

Our salary cap issues have never exclusively been about the existing squad, even though that still bites in certain examples - so that nullifies your point.

I’m not going to bother addressing the rest of your speculation because that’s all it is - but to answer your question on strategy - I believe we are going to find out in the coming weeks and months pre and post 2020 kick-off for 2021 - which has always been the goal - we were told face to face by the directors in May 2018.

The strategy has never changed.

And strategy for 2021 I think you’ll find will be similar for most clubs. Do you see our competitors announcing 2021 deals now? No.
Which players are we still paying part of their contact for in 2020 & how much? Mybe is one I guess who else Woods?

The payout to Des has zero impact on Salary cap.

Cash flow has zero impact on salary cap as clubs have to spend 95% of their salary cap regardless of financial performance.

In any event the statement of financial performance, statement of financial position and funds statement of the Canterbury football and leagues clubs are a matter of public record. The combined entity has a very strong balance sheet, is profitable and has an even stronger free cash flow.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Which players are we still paying part of their contact for in 2020 & how much? Mybe is one I guess who else Woods?

The payout to Des has zero impact on Salary cap.

Cash flow has zero impact on salary cap as clubs have to spend 95% of their salary cap regardless of financial performance.

In any event the statement of financial performance, statement of financial position and funds statement of the Canterbury football and leagues clubs are a matter of public record. The combined entity has a very strong balance sheet, is profitable and has an even stronger free cash flow.
Fair comments.
My wording could’ve been better.

I won’t name players but the ones you’ve named are warmer rather than cooler. There are others, including some still at the club who are in the final year(s) of their deals with very large salaries. You could likely guess at least 2.

So your point around the ‘cost of the back 5’ gets lost around the realities of the cost of the whole team.

Yes, former coach payout doesn’t affect salary cap, that’s true - my point was, even for a profitable business like the Canterbury Leagues Club who provides much of the funding to the football club, you don’t just click your fingers to pay debts (of which significant ones were created by the previous administration).

Even when you get past the worst of those problems (which in the next 12 months will be the case) - there is now a new governance system in place for future spending - and that’s part of the reason why 2021 signings haven’t yet been announced - along with the fact we simply have no need to finalise those deals and make those announcements yet.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hello...Mitchell.
Yes $1m is a lot of money but the club is spending fuck all on the back 5.
Name another club even close that spends so little on the back 5?
Oh and by the way if anything those figues for Smith & Meaney could be high.

The back 5 is were a teams points come from, you did notice the team has had problem scoring points for the last three seasons right?
Fcuk Mitchell.. his overpriced and risky. If U think that's a good move then I bet your not a successful business man.

We have a capable backline now with plenty of kids to prove themselves in 2020. All we need is one centre and we have a capable CHEAP backline and that is if the kids we have dont go well.

And if U think points come from the backs then Ur missing a big part of rugby league. Points come from the forwards that bend the defensive line which gives Ur backs the space to move.

We should be focusing on our halves and forwards before we buy expensive backs.

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fcuk Mitchell.. his overpriced and risky. If U think that's a good move then I bet your not a successful business man.

We have a capable backline now with plenty of kids to prove themselves in 2020. All we need is one centre and we have a capable CHEAP backline and that is if the kids we have dont go well.

And if U think points come from the backs then Ur missing a big part of rugby league. Points come from the forwards that bend the defensive line which gives Ur backs the space to move.

Please, for the love of God, stop talking sense

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When i say big name, im talking marquee status
e.g Latrell mitchell.
We need at least 1 big name, will we make one?
If not then bye bye board
A lot of bulldogs fans need to understand that you don’t pay 1 million for a centre. DWZ is playing well at fullback. I’ll be after Cameron Munster and Jack Wighton not Latrell Mitchell. We lack a big forward and a centre. I won’t be surprised if big Semi joins the dogs next year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Id like jai arrow to replace tols
Titans offer to resign Arrow was 800k wasn't it? I'd assume a top club will offer him around the same, possibly 700k. If you think the board will offer him 900k-1m then it's a possibility. I think Arrow's best position is Prop but on that money you'd probably have to keep him at Lock. Everyone will spit the dummy out and say he's not worth that sort of money (I don't this he is either) but it's just what I think we'll have to pay.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We have Jackson to replace Tolman.

We need a front rower in the mould/playing ability of a Taukeiaho, Haas, AFB, Thompson
Tauekiaho would be ideal.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Fuck Mitchell?
Mitchell represented an opportunity as players of his quality don't come around very often.
While I agree $1m for a centre is a lot of money, $1m for a fullback is not uncommon.

We are massively under invested in the back 5 and something has to be done about it.

If there was the potential to get Mitchell to the club for the 2020 season I can't believe the club didn't explore that option harder.

Yes I know it is a team sport so halves and forwards also contribute to attack. Now that you mention it lack of creativity in the halves is also a problem as is post contact meters by the forwards.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair comments.
My wording could’ve been better.

I won’t name players but the ones you’ve named are warmer rather than cooler. There are others, including some still at the club who are in the final year(s) of their deals with very large salaries. You could likely guess at least 2.

So your point around the ‘cost of the back 5’ gets lost around the realities of the cost of the whole team.

Yes, former coach payout doesn’t affect salary cap, that’s true - my point was, even for a profitable business like the Canterbury Leagues Club who provides much of the funding to the football club, you don’t just click your fingers to pay debts (of which significant ones were created by the previous administration).

Even when you get past the worst of those problems (which in the next 12 months will be the case) - there is now a new governance system in place for future spending - and that’s part of the reason why 2021 signings haven’t yet been announced - along with the fact we simply have no need to finalise those deals and make those announcements yet.
Yes for 2021.
What about 2020? Which I am more interested in right now.

Mitchell represented an opportunity to do sonething bold for the team and for the 2020 season.

As it stands now in the back 5 we have some good ball runners DWZ, Smith and I think Meaney if he gets the ball with open space in front of him.

Okunbor can run over the top of people for a line break.

But we only have one guy who can break a tackle or half break a tackle and get an offload away or a pass away to support player in space and that's Hopoate.

Regarding the quality of our back 5 & are our supporters happy?
Last season I ran a poll on Hopoate with the question "do you want Hoppa to leave at the end of 2019" something along those lines. 41% of TK members who voted, voted yes. And he was the clubs player of the year for 2019 yet 41% of the Kennel still wants him to fuck off.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When i say big name, im talking marquee status
e.g Latrell mitchell.
We need at least 1 big name, will we make one?
If not then bye bye board
Let me just pull out my crystal ball and see which players will be released by their club in the next 12 months.

The haze is starting to clear..................

I can see............................

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He’d be the perfect successor for Tols. Huge motor, solid defender, and adds that little bit extra go forward.
First if were looking at a small forward then nobody matches Bateman atm and if his sick of Canberra his worth throwing the money at. Though I think we need a BIG prop to replace Tolman... Were missing that punch through the middle and Napa can only do so much.

Should be chasing blokes like James, Taukhieho or even Walmsley from SL.. I didn't like Wamlsey at the beginning but watched him again last night and the guy goes hard, again and again and again, He would certainly add to the pack.

Anybody think Thompson is what we need yuck, guy gets manhandled more than Tols.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes for 2021.
What about 2020? Which I am more interested in right now.

Mitchell represented an opportunity to do sonething bold for the team and for the 2020 season.

As it stands now in the back 5 we have some good ball runners DWZ, Smith and I think Meaney if he gets the ball with open space in front of him.

Okunbor can run over the top of people for a line break.

But we only have one guy who can break a tackle or half break a tackle and get an offload away or a pass away to support player in space and that's Hopoate.

Regarding the quality of our back 5 & are our supporters happy?
Last season I ran a poll on Hopoate with the question "do you want Hoppa to leave at the end of 2019" something along those lines. 41% of TK members who voted, voted yes. And he was the clubs player of the year for 2019 yet 41% of the Kennel still wants him to fuck off.
Leaving aside my well stated opposition to recruiting Mitchell, if all the speculation is true that it’d cost $900k-$1m to entice him from Bondi (let’s say it’s true the Chooks offered $800k there’s some context - though I bet not all of that was cap, there would be some TPA)-and the Chooks would probably demand compensation for an early release which would push up the first year fee to what - $1.2m?

A) Nowhere near that sort of cap space for ‘20.

B) Even if you could find it - perhaps with some relief from Foran’s cost (if that happens) - it’s bad business when you’ve just spent nearly two years digging yourself out of a deep hole.

I don’t want Hoppa to leave - sure he’s not as quick as he used to be but he brings experience and still has enough of the goods whilst Meaney is learning how to play wing.

I don’t rate Okunbor at this stage - too Jamal Idris for me, but I stand to be corrected if he comes good over time.

I like the look of Harper to fill the other centre role. I’d be surprised if both Montoya and Holland were not moved on at the end of ‘20.

So - do I think we have an AMAZING backline? No - but do I think we have an improving one? YES - and they’ll get better in 2020 again - at an affordable price just as we emerge from the financial shit-storm we got hammered by.

2020 I expect improvement, not miracles.
Making the 8 would be a fantastic result.

2021 is when we should be ready for the big time - and so much of that is yet to play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.