Is Latrell worth $1 Million?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
To me, that suggests more that "players/the team" have issues with HIM/his attitude/opinion of self, not the other way around...
Agree. Many here seem to overlook the huge risk that Mitchell became our Barba 2.0. No thanks - more liability than reliability.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What risk has he been at the roosters?
2 x grand final wins, match winning plays by him, origin and Australia.
So what your saying he is a risk at the bulldogs because our systems are not as good as the roosters when it comes to player welfare, counselling, motivation and getting players ready for game day ?? Right ? Or helping with life outside of football??So really our problem lies from within our football club and administration and not having right people in place like the roosters?
Agree. Many here seem to overlook the huge risk that Mitchell became our Barba 2.0. No thanks - more liability than reliability.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s a scoop every financial outlay for a player is a risk/calculated gamble with so many variables in a collision sport.
Latrell Mitchell is arguably one of the best RL players in the code; it’s what he does.
Wanting to maximise the financial reward given the relatively short window to earn & look after his family is what he’s about. That’s the point all you anti Mitchell posters overlook.
Pretty sure each & everyone of us want the maximum financial gain for plying our trade/profession & we do it for our loved ones.
Stop knocking the kid for doing this.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Top players like Mitchell will not come to the Bulldogs for the right reasons. We are going to have to recruit like Canberra, be very shrewd with our signings and build a balanced team across the park who want to play for one another. Recruit some English forwards and get value for money. Frizell is overpriced and Bateman is a far better player, there is one example.

Our big money recruits did not work in the past. Our best recruitment drive was between 09 and 2012.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What risk has he been at the roosters?
2 x grand final wins, match winning plays by him, origin and Australia.
So what your saying he is a risk at the bulldogs because our systems are not as good as the roosters when it comes to player welfare, counselling, motivation and getting players ready for game day ?? Right ? Or helping with life outside of football??So really our problem lies from within our football club and administration and not having right people in place like the roosters?
No mate. Answered you on the other thread.
And cool your jets:

1) Suggesting I’m biased against Mitchell for unsavoury behaviour (I’m not, don’t know the bloke at all). My comparison of him being a risk Barba style for was totally different reasons.

2) More than anything though... HE’S NOT COMING. The club has stated it. MOVE ON.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Here’s a scoop every financial outlay for a player is a risk/calculated gamble with so many variables in a collision sport.
Latrell Mitchell is arguably one of the best RL players in the code; it’s what he does.
Wanting to maximise the financial reward given the relatively short window to earn & look after his family is what he’s about. That’s the point all you anti Mitchell posters overlook.
Pretty sure each & everyone of us want the maximum financial gain for plying our trade/profession & we do it for our loved ones.
When have I knocked him for maximising his earning potential?

I haven’t. I just never wanted our club to be the one to pay it and I’m glad they’re not.

My entire stance on Mitchell is exclusively about ROI and business sense.

If he gets $1m+ from the Tigers or anyone else good luck to him. My business sense says that anyone who pays that risks buyers remorse.

If he was such good value at that price tag, why hasn’t he been snapped up yet? He’s simply not a Cronk, Smith, JT or anyone else who can command $1m+.

Will he be eventually? Maybe, maybe not.
But after blowing I’m guessing close to $3m on Foran and $2m on T-Rex - the club in my view is smart not to fall into this potential trap again.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Top players like Mitchell will not come to the Bulldogs for the right reasons. We are going to have to recruit like Canberra, be very shrewd with our signings and build a balanced team across the park who want to play for one another. Recruit some English forwards and get value for money. Frizell is overpriced and Bateman is a far better player, there is one example.

Our big money recruits did not work in the past. Our best recruitment drive was between 09 and 2012.
Hill went to uk already for a nice holiday. All we got out of it.

Maybe an actual recruitment manager would of done something.

axeman23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Here's something that SHOULDN'T be a scoop: Latrell's red-flags (in the eyes of nay-sayers like me) of effort, attitude and mental fortitude, are not specific to "collision sport", so that's not particularly relevant, in my opinion. Just take the ending of the Tongan game for instance: while down on the scoreboard, Australia had 1 final chance to counter-attack from a ricochet on the Tongan try-line, which 2 Aussies were the first to get to. Cordner was screaming at them to fall on the ball and secure possession. Instead Mitchell goes for the "miracle play" that required less effort and having to take another hit, he toed it ahead and into touch, extinguishing Australia's faint hopes. Sure, they were already going to lose barring something REMARKABLE, but Latrell denied them that chance by not getting down and dirty 1 more time. No doubt he is an extremely talented player, but as the saying goes: "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I haven’t. I just never wanted our club to be the one to pay it and I’m glad they’re not.

If he gets $1m+ from the Tigers or anyone else good luck to him. My business sense says that anyone who pays that risks buyers remorse.

If he was such good value at that price tag, why hasn’t he been snapped up yet? He’s simply not a Cronk, Smith, JT or anyone else who can command $1m+.

But after blowing I’m guessing close to $3m on Foran and $2m on T-Rex - the club in my view is smart not to fall into this potential trap again.
That's the point that so many are missing, they're so hung up on making a major signing that they've lost all sense and want the club to cave into whatever Latrell demands.

If this was say Keary on the market then that would be completely different. Keary ticks off so many more boxes in terms of what we're lacking and imo he carries more value for us because of it.

Our biggest issue is the spine and right now I don't feel comfortable with any of our options. We simply don't have an established player in the 1,6,7 and 9 and that's where the major investment needs to be made, not out in the centres.

We at least have a few promising players coming through in Averillo and Wakeham, maybe DWZ improves his ball playing and nails down the FB spot while JMK continues to develop? These things need to be closely monitored and the clubs recruitment needs to be bang on so we're getting the best return from our investment.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not knocking him at all. Knocking the club for potentially bowing to his wishes, that's all.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Spot on and well said

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's the point that so many are missing, they're so hung up on making a major signing that they've lost all sense and want the club to cave into whatever Latrell demands.

If this was say Keary on the market then that would be completely different. Keary ticks off so many more boxes in terms of what we're lacking and imo he carries more value for us because of it.

Our biggest issue is the spine and right now I don't feel comfortable with any of our options. We simply don't have an established player in the 1,6,7 and 9 and that's where the major investment needs to be made, not out in the centres.

We at least have a few promising players coming through in Averillo and Wakeham, maybe DWZ improves his ball playing and nails down the FB spot while JMK continues to develop? These things need to be closely monitored and the clubs recruitment needs to be bang on so we're getting the best return from our investment.
And again. Spot on. We can't buy just for buying sake. We need to make the right decision at the right price. At 1m it's not the right decision, nor the right price. Especially not 1.3m

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Agree Sancho and well said. It’s the long game and we have to be very prudent with our investments. Alleged short term gains have blown up in our faces the last 7 or so years. The club must (and looks like they are) putting a stop to this.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Can we close this thread now, or move to the other sub forum

Its not bulldog related

Our club has officially made a statement to say we not negotiating with the Muppet

Time to move on

Thank God the club made the right call

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Keary won't see out a long contract because every club is aware of the concussion issues he has faced recently and the speculation around him being 1 concussion away from having to give the game away. So even if Keary was available he wouldn't be worth touching.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In todays paper saying tigers are offering $800-$900k if this is true our club are kidding themselves unless they have a good centre signing on the go but so far nothing

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Another issue over the years has been not so much about recruitment, rather the retention.

We let blokes like Finucane and Cook go when we should never had.

We have potential there with Wakeham, Averillo and Tyrone Harding (reminds me of Curtis Rona). The club needs to ensure they lock up these players along with pumping as much resources and quality coaches as required to bring them through.

Would love to see Noddy working with Wakeham.

One thing about the Roosters and Storm, which a lot of people here dont get, is that they have the best of the best in every part of the football department....

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In todays paper saying tigers are offering $800-$900k if this is true our club are kidding themselves unless they have a good centre signing on the go but so far nothing
Surely not....if we believe Andrew Hill the club made no offer to Mitchell....what a fukin joke