Letter to Andrew Hill - just sent

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

In relation to the recent quote from you below which appeared in various media publications can you please provide members and fans with a more detailed explanation (as we deserve) of why the club recruitment committee decided not to pursue a player like Latrell Mitchell ?

Many fans including myself would also like to know if the club ever made an approach to Joseph Manu before he recently re-signed with the Roosters for 2 years only on a reported modest salary and if not why not ?

I understand that all clubs could approach any player before November 1. They just couldn’t register new contracts before November 1.

“From a football club perspective we don’t normally comment on recruitment or retention, but in this case there’s been so much speculation we felt we needed to clarify our position,” Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill said.

“We will not be pursuing trying to sign Latrell Mitchell. No one from the Bulldogs football club has ever had any sort of talks with Latrell.

“We’ve met as a recruitment committee and decided this is our position. We won’t be pursuing Latrell.”

You should also be interested in the comments by 2 Bulldogs fans below from the fan site The Kennel– the first which typifies the level of disappointment Bulldogs fans have at the moment over the performance of the recruitment committee and the second which if true definitely deserves further investigation by yourself and further discussion at the February board elections if not sooner.

"I was so excited about finally getting some exciting players (like Mitchell) that at work and at home I'm constantly searching the net just hoping for some good news about us signing someone special to improve our team but no nothing, zilch ! I really can't understand those who don't want us to spend a dollar it seems and seem prepared to wait years just in the "hope" that some young players will eventually become superstars and improve our team to genuine premiership contenders. What they don't think about is firstly are our recruitment staff any better at identifying young potential superstars than the guys working at all the other 15 NRL clubs ?, The best young players also tend to sign with the Roosters, and even if we were somehow lucky enough to accidently discover the next superstar there's a good chance the Roosters would pinch them the next season anyway. We have to play by the same rules as the Roosters and target their players not only to strengthen our team but also to weaken the Roosters. Just seems like our board are working for the Roosters at the moment, not us.

I can't agree with people thinking the board have done a good job just because they re-signed a few players. Re-signing current players isn't going to "improve" our team really. It's just going to prevent us from getting worse".

---------------------------------
"Forget the people involved.. the facts are :
1) we have no recruitment manager, CA who was involved heavily is gone, we sent the CEO overseas because literally there was no one else at the club..
2) we are offside with 2 player managers who have a big stable of established players
3) we offer no TPAs
4) We have a rookie coach who is no drawing card like some other top coaches..
5) We lack big name players that can also help attract players
6) we don’t go to the lengths other clubs go to (or we use to go) to with player managers and the family of recruitment targets to massage their egos and take care of them..

The club is adamant this is the way they want to do business and play tough with the managers.. Some people here agree with this stance & others don’t..

This is a picture of were we are at when it comes to recruitment and its open for our fans to decide if we can attract sought after players..

The salary cap space will mean nothing if we aren’t attractive to players..

The club was adamant Api was signing with us, then he did an about face and took less money to go elsewhere..

One player manager (who secretly - unless you know him) follows the Dogs, offered 3 very talented players to us end of last year, the club said no to all.. all 3 had very good seasons at their current clubs.."

Cheers

haytchcbb

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good message mate I think we should all be dirty at the way this board is taking the club and the main reason for this is that there is not enough communication between them and us fans

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon he’ll wipe his ass with it
Maybe you shouldn't give up so easy. They do actually read some letters you know. I and a few others on here had replies from Raelene last year. Dib also called me a couple of years ago and we spoke for nearly an hour (not long before Des got sacked). The club have a professional media monitoring service to get feedback. They need to hear the voices of unhappy fans. I'd encourage you to contact them also unless you're totally happy with the performance of the recruitment committee at the moment and the shrinking group of players available each day for 2021

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Raelene used to have templates to copy and paste back to emails from fans like that. They don't care.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good message mate I think we should all be dirty at the way this board is taking the club and the main reason for this is that there is not enough communication between them and us fans
Thank you :o)

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The reply will be
Noted and thanks for your feedback

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't understand the people on here who constantly criticise anyone who makes an effort - ANY effort - to change things for the better and make a difference to improving the performance of OUR TEAM.

Is it really better just to sit back and let the club management do whatever it wants and just put our total trust in whatever they do even if it looks obvious they're failing / heading down the wrong path.

If more fans were proactive and voiced their opinions sooner with the last administration in a bigger way maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we are now financially.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can't understand the people on here who constantly criticise anyone who makes an effort - ANY effort - to change things for the better and make a difference to improving the performance of OUR TEAM.

Is it really better just to sit back and let the club management do whatever it wants and just put our total trust in whatever they do even if it looks obvious they're failing / heading down the wrong path.
What ya membership cost a year bud?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are still waiting for Raelenes rockstar player to arrive..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

If more fans were proactive and voiced their opinions sooner with the last administration in a bigger way maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we are now financially.
It is all your opinion though and not everyone agrees with you. You have every right to voice your opinion and tell the club what you think but they don't have to act on any of it.

Do you really think Hill needs to hear the "facts" that were posted on the Kennel? He would just roll his eyes at that.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
At least you put it to him. Good one.

We were all quiet with Dib and Hasler for quite some time. Told to be patient they had it all under control.

Never again will I trust any Board, CEO, Coach who bumbles along and doesn't get results.

They can keep to their assurances and cling to the policy signing of cheap, reliable players but it doesn't cut it any more.

Club first. Individual a long second. Officials who can't improve us, use excuses, last and need to be accountable.

No more patience as the answer.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
CEO Andrew Hill had to go overseas to UK to find players because there was no one else at the club that could go..

Our football department is a shambles at the moment.. Its disorganised with several roles still vacant..

CA has left and his large role has not been filled by anyone..

The staff that were sacked over 6 months ago have not been replaced..

Dean Pay is a rookie coach, the club should be giving him a very strong footy dept to support him..

The players are battling hard on the field.. off the field we are far from settled..

A

Alexander the Great

Nice one mate. See if you get a response but I highly doubt it. They should be worried if we don't buy any decent players in the next year or so...
Hi Andrew,

In relation to the recent quote from you below which appeared in various media publications can you please provide members and fans with a more detailed explanation (as we deserve) of why the club recruitment committee decided not to pursue a player like Latrell Mitchell ?

Many fans including myself would also like to know if the club ever made an approach to Joseph Manu before he recently re-signed with the Roosters for 2 years only on a reported modest salary and if not why not ?

I understand that all clubs could approach any player before November 1. They just couldn’t register new contracts before November 1.

“From a football club perspective we don’t normally comment on recruitment or retention, but in this case there’s been so much speculation we felt we needed to clarify our position,” Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill said.

“We will not be pursuing trying to sign Latrell Mitchell. No one from the Bulldogs football club has ever had any sort of talks with Latrell.

“We’ve met as a recruitment committee and decided this is our position. We won’t be pursuing Latrell.”

You should also be interested in the comments by 2 Bulldogs fans below from the fan site The Kennel– the first which typifies the level of disappointment Bulldogs fans have at the moment over the performance of the recruitment committee and the second which if true definitely deserves further investigation by yourself and further discussion at the February board elections if not sooner.

"I was so excited about finally getting some exciting players (like Mitchell) that at work and at home I'm constantly searching the net just hoping for some good news about us signing someone special to improve our team but no nothing, zilch ! I really can't understand those who don't want us to spend a dollar it seems and seem prepared to wait years just in the "hope" that some young players will eventually become superstars and improve our team to genuine premiership contenders. What they don't think about is firstly are our recruitment staff any better at identifying young potential superstars than the guys working at all the other 15 NRL clubs ?, The best young players also tend to sign with the Roosters, and even if we were somehow lucky enough to accidently discover the next superstar there's a good chance the Roosters would pinch them the next season anyway. We have to play by the same rules as the Roosters and target their players not only to strengthen our team but also to weaken the Roosters. Just seems like our board are working for the Roosters at the moment, not us.

I can't agree with people thinking the board have done a good job just because they re-signed a few players. Re-signing current players isn't going to "improve" our team really. It's just going to prevent us from getting worse".

---------------------------------
"Forget the people involved.. the facts are :
1) we have no recruitment manager, CA who was involved heavily is gone, we sent the CEO overseas because literally there was no one else at the club..
2) we are offside with 2 player managers who have a big stable of established players
3) we offer no TPAs
4) We have a rookie coach who is no drawing card like some other top coaches..
5) We lack big name players that can also help attract players
6) we don’t go to the lengths other clubs go to (or we use to go) to with player managers and the family of recruitment targets to massage their egos and take care of them..

The club is adamant this is the way they want to do business and play tough with the managers.. Some people here agree with this stance & others don’t..

This is a picture of were we are at when it comes to recruitment and its open for our fans to decide if we can attract sought after players..

The salary cap space will mean nothing if we aren’t attractive to players..

The club was adamant Api was signing with us, then he did an about face and took less money to go elsewhere..

One player manager (who secretly - unless you know him) follows the Dogs, offered 3 very talented players to us end of last year, the club said no to all.. all 3 had very good seasons at their current clubs.."

Cheers