Latrell Mitchell Discussion Megathread

Is Latrell worth $1 Million?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Their golden boy Fittler has already come out trying to convince him to re-sign for unders to stay with the Roosters. They're playing hard ball trying to teach him a lesson. They're gonna make it impossible for any team to sign him for 2020 by wanting to be compensated for who knows what amount ON TOP of the MIL a season Mitchell is seeking directly. Don't be surprised if the Roosters suddenly change their mind and reinstate the offer and extend him for 800K a season. They're doing a good job scaring potential suitors away.
100%

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Drifts in & out of games????
He scored 19 tries in a team that includes Tedesco, Tupou Manu & B Morris & leading points scorer 273 points to boot.
Dally M Centre of the Year
Played for NSW & selected for the Kangaroos.
The reason the Club pulled the pin is INDECISION. Several board/committee members of our Club were dead keen on signing Mitchell but the nervous Nannies succumbing to the media untruths dictated by the Roosters. The vilification of Mitchell is disgraceful & embarrassing.
100% drifts in and out... you obviously haven’t watched many chooks games
Have a look at his stats without keary....
And he won’t get a rep jersey next season if no one is injured
I’m not saying his shit, I’m saying his not worth 1 mil dollars in the centres with his inconsistency’s
Anyway I guess the dogs agree coz they said no thanks

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m not saying his shit, I’m saying his not worth 1 mil dollars in the centres with his inconsistency’s
Spot on mate. Spot on.

Nice coming on here and reading someone who's making sense rather than getting carried away with the whole "We lost out on our saviour" shit.

Obviously we still have to sign players. Obviously. But looking specifically at Mitchell I can understand why we've seemingly moved on.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeh I get it, we past on latrell because we have montoya and holland and I mean we are flushed with stars.

That’s ok though perhaps Dwz brother that can’t make first grade or someone like Copley might be an option. There is a lot of these elite talents to consider.

Who needs the leading point scorer. We won a few games last year at the end to avoid the spoon and it’s not like the other teams actually improved their roster.

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeh I get it, we past on latrell because we have montoya and holland and I mean we are flushed with stars.

That’s ok though perhaps Dwz brother that can’t make first grade or someone like Copley might be an option. There is a lot of these elite talents to consider.

Who needs the leading point scorer. We won a few games last year at the end to avoid the spoon and it’s not like the other teams actually improved their roster.
So many people on here just caught up in their own little world. Crazy

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I see all of his flaws. I understand he floats in and out of games. He has defensive lapses. His work ethic is always in question. I get all of that, I still would rather we sign him to $1M then sit on our hands and do nothing. He’s young enough that he can continue to develop into a GI 2.0. This is a gamble worth taking. We were happy to spend all the $$ I listed earlier and now because they were dumb decisions at the time we’re now shying away from what would actually be worthwhile.

If it’s not Latrell, then who? Fifita? The same arguments for not signing Latrell I can use on Fifita - the only two finals games he’s played in his teams have been buttfucked. He’s done nothing in defence and sure he has a few highlight barnstorming runs in him but so does Latrell - and Latrell can play 1 through 6 which is more value than Fifita than playing 4 through 13 (but not in the spine).

I just want the club to come out with some backbone and actual vision/ plan for the way forward. If we’re a club that doesn’t have the next Ben Barba/ Idris/ SBW coming through our Jrs (Hint, we don’t (right now)), then where is the talent coming from?

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I see all of his flaws. I understand he floats in and out of games. He has defensive lapses. His work ethic is always in question. I get all of that, I still would rather we sign him to $1M then sit on our hands and do nothing. He’s young enough that he can continue to develop into a GI 2.0. This is a gamble worth taking. We were happy to spend all the $$ I listed earlier and now because they were dumb decisions at the time we’re now shying away from what would actually be worthwhile.

If it’s not Latrell, then who? Fifita? The same arguments for not signing Latrell I can use on Fifita - the only two finals games he’s played in his teams have been buttfucked. He’s done nothing in defence and sure he has a few highlight barnstorming runs in him but so does Latrell - and Latrell can play 1 through 6 which is more value than Fifita than playing 4 through 13 (but not in the spine).

I just want the club to come out with some backbone and actual vision/ plan for the way forward. If we’re a club that doesn’t have the next Ben Barba/ Idris/ SBW coming through our Jrs (Hint, we don’t (right now)), then where is the talent coming from?
End of the day we don’t have cap space for him for 2020
And looks like his looking to get out of chooks for next year
Dogs plans for him was always 2021 as that’s when his contract was up
So maybe it was out of the clubs hands anyway

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He scored 19 tries in a team that includes Tedesco, Tupou Manu & B Morris & leading points scorer 273 points to boot.
The reason the Club pulled the pin is INDECISION. Several board/committee members of our Club were dead keen on signing Mitchell but the nervous Nannies succumbing to the media untruths dictated by the Roosters. The vilification of Mitchell is disgraceful & embarrassing.
And of course, you were in those meetings and know all this alleged ‘indecision’ to be 100% true, don’t you?

The Dogs did not say a word about Mitchell until Hill this week said ‘not interested’. He also said they normally don’t comment. Maybe they were never interested.

EVERYTHING apart from Hill’s comment has been media speculation. So any ‘vilification’ of Mitchell has nothing to do with the club.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we have dodged a bullet with Mitchell. I don't think it was "nervous nellies"; he obviously didn't fit with the values the club said it would use as a measure for recruiting. That's a good thing, as it ensures we don't buy damaged goods.
If the Chooks are prepared to release Mitchell from his contract a year early, then that alone should ring alarm bells. Who lets a superstar out of their contract if they're as great as everyone says?

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drifting in & out of games is what makes him the enigmatic & prodigious talent. He reads the game & chooses his moments, everything he does looks effortless as though he’s disinterested, defensively he can hit like a road train, he can step inside & outside his opponent or simply trample him. He turns 4 pointers into 6 75% of the time, can punt the ball 60mtrs on the fly, & kick monster field goals.
These stats alone will get you a top6 finish. But we have 2 busteds in Montoya/Holland that can do the job. DWZ is a fantastic acquisition is not in the same skill/talent plane as Mitchell.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Drifting in & out of games is what makes him the enigmatic & prodigious talent. He reads the game & chooses his moments, everything he does looks effortless as though he’s disinterested, defensively he can hit like a road train, he can step inside & outside his opponent or simply trample him. He turns 4 pointers into 6 75% of the time, can punt the ball 60mtrs on the fly, & kick monster field goals.
These stats alone will get you a top6 finish. But we have 2 busteds in Montoya/Holland that can do the job. DWZ is a fantastic acquisition is not in the same skill/talent plane as Mitchell.
And who says Montoya and Holland are in our plans beyond 2020, along with several other off-contract players?

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As much as I would’ve loved to have Latrell, I think we have a bit of potential in the outside backs with Harper, Averillo and Tass. Possibly sign a Lomax and maybe Sione Katoa (sharks) for the same amount we were offering to Mitchell and in 2021 we could have some handy depth in the outside backs. Mitchell is a top player but he was also managed by a top coach who I think got the best out of him and played in a great team. Not sure if Pay is as good a people manager as Robbo. Mentally, Latrell is a huge risk.

The dogs huge issue at the moment are how indecisive we are about our halves and how easily they are floating in and out of reserve grade. I’d personally go with Wakeham and Lewis but there’s been multiple combinations mentioned.

We also are short of one or two forwards that can break the line.

I’d be going after Lomax, Sione Katoa, Zane Tetevano and David Fifita.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Mullholland. There are very very few players worth the money he thinks he is worth. Sonny Bill, Thurston are two examples of the standout exceptions. They win games for the team constantly. And they are also examples of developing your own superstars not buying them at inflated cost to the club. Good decision to pass on Mitchell.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Mate any one or any club who is ruthless, and unscrupulous enough, and has the media on their side to cover up for them will always be lucky.
Luck begets luck and the power grows even stronger at Bondi.

Soon any player, along with their agent, that they feel like talking to, will be too scared to say no to them for fear of the media bagging. Certainly all their players will feel obliged to re-sign and not go on the open market if Rorters still want them.

They'll have the God given right to pick the eyes out of the whole league ...if they haven't already.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think he’d be that good in a team that doesn’t include Tedesco, Tupou, Manu, Keary, Cronk and Morris?

No one is saying he’s not a great player, but his inconsistency will become a lot more noticeable without a star studded side.

That’s why he’s not worth $1M to the club.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Do you think he’d be that good in a team that doesn’t include Tedesco, Tupou, Manu, Keary, Cronk and Morris?

No one is saying he’s not a great player, but his inconsistency will become a lot more noticeable without a star studded side.

That’s why he’s not worth $1M to the club.
A valid point but there's also the fact that the guy is so unpredictable and unique that he doesn't really rely on anyone else to create for him. He does his own thing.

The issue with us is do we have the winger to benefit off the half break he creates or the flick pass or have the speed to take on the FB after LM pushed off the opposing centre and winger.

If Pay was a more established accomplished coach, LM would have been ideal for us, but Pay and LM probably not a match made in heaven.

The search for points continues.