Wakeham Nominated for Golden Boot

Banned
Reaction score
There's the problem, remove Cronk and compare halves against each other, and what's the result?

MasterP

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would like to see the Wakeham haters reaction if he signs with the West tigers, because Michael Maguire is keeping a good eye on him to replace Benji after Wayne Lambkin tipped him off about how talented he is going to be.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I would like to see the Wakeham haters reaction if he signs with the West tigers, because Michael Maguire is keeping a good eye on him to replace Benji after Wayne Lambkin tipped him off about how talented he is going to be.
If that happens it will be such a sad indictment on the club's ability to foster our own.

It's the very foundation to a successful club and we will have failed.

I won't be patient about that I can tell you!

#lockemup

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The guy couldn't do any more in the games he's played for us and Fiji.

Now nominated for Best International Player for 2019.

He has it all and Cogger and Lewis in front of him? Crazy! Pay pick and support our next x factor.

NOMINATED PLAYERS SO FAR:
Men
John Bateman (Great Britain)
Damien Cook (Australia)

Payne Haas (Australia)
Viliame Kikau (Fiji)
Tui Lolohea (Tonga)
Kevin Naiqama (Fiji)
Sio Siua Taukeiaho (Tonga)
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (New Zealand)
Jared Waerea-HargreavesNew Zealand)
Brandon Wakeham(Fiji)
Pay is adamant Cogger and Lewis will develop into a great halves pairing.. I dont see it myself..

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple of things to note about Wakehams Fiji game, behind a pack which steamrolled the other side he showed his attacking capabilities. However, my impression was that Samoa did not for most of the game put heavy work on him in defence. I am optimistic that the confidence he will have gained in this tournament will see him next year a regular first grader, Cogger may have looked pretty strong behind the Fiji pack as well. I don't think Cogger and Wakeham are signed beyond 2020 yet, looks like the club is showing it's hand with Lewis extension and I doubt they see him as a forward, let's hope he improves his running and starts showing some deception because he's just not asking any questions of defence with ball in hand.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To give this some perspective - this was based on 2 performances against Lebanon and Samoa.

He was pretty rocks and diamonds in his first grade outings.

Foran, Lewis and Cogger are all ahead in the queue and rightly so.

He’s no doubt got some talent but still has a lot of development ahead of him in order to be a week to week first grader.

Think my call for calm thread needs a timely bump.
Simply wrong. He was solid in the very limited first grade opportunities that he got.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Simply wrong. He was solid in the very limited first grade opportunities that he got.
100% People are acting like he was making loads of mistakes between his good bits of plays.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
100% People are acting like he was making loads of mistakes between his good bits of plays.
I’m not saying he made loads of mistakes but if you assess his overall game across his first grade stints it was very hit and miss. I’m not sure how that can be disputed.

His kicking game is his weakest attribute and you’d have to say it was about a 3/10 at best in those games.

He averaged 6 missed tackles per game.

Game management there wasn’t much to speak of.

He came up with a couple of key turnovers v Brisbane

His ball distribution through the hands I thought was good.

But to say across the board that he was “very solid” just isn’t accurate

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’m not saying he made loads of mistakes but if you assess his overall game across his first grade stints it was very hit and miss. I’m not sure how that can be disputed.

His kicking game is his weakest attribute and you’d have to say it was about a 3/10 at best in those games.

He was solid with flashes of class. He made 1 error in 3 games so I don't know what these couple of key turn overs are? His ability to set up his runners is far superior to the likes of Lewis and Cogger, and if we actually want to score some points next season then we're going to need that.

Game manage and kicking game were two thing she was strong with coming through the grades, to judge him off a couple of games is unfair. I have no doubts that if he gets a proper run we will see far more from him, just like we did with To'omaga.

The only issue with Wakeham is him handling the impact of NRL footy, if he can manage that then we have very good prospect moving forward. Much rather give him the opportunity to prove he can do it instead of persisting with an oversized half because of "defence".

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Pay is adamant Cogger and Lewis will develop into a great halves pairing.. I dont see it myself..
This is what seriously worries me about Dean Pay.

He is old school and just appreciates defenders and good trainers. Hence our abysmal for and against.

So clear we need a creative, comfidence half who gets repeat sets, puts forwards through holes etc.

Unfortunately with Pay instead of developing talent we are sticking to safe. It's not enough.

But here's hoping 2020 we can develop a more complete gameplan and find some attacking plays and players who can actually lead and execute it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

He is only 20 yrs old ffs!
What were you doing when you were 20 or haven't you reached it yet??

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lol I said solid, not "very solid". 3 games as a 20 year old half back isn't really gonna tell us much to be honest. He looks pretty skilled to me though.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He is only 20 yrs old ffs!
What were you doing when you were 20 or haven't you reached it yet??
You missed my point.

We’ve got clowns here jumping up and down demanding this kid jumps the queue into the starting team ahead of Lewis and Cogger based on performances against Samoa and Lebanon.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You missed my point.

We’ve got clowns here jumping up and down demanding this kid jumps the queue into the starting team ahead of Lewis and Cogger based on performances against Samoa and Lebanon.
I understand that people have their own opinion, but i just think that these young kids need to be given a chance before they're written off.
I do like Cogger but i personally think that Wakeham will eventually offer more at halfback.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Foran but personally think he shouldn't play another game for us if (probably surely not) he's not signed beyond 2020.
If Lewis cant kick on in the halves I don't really know where he fits, I like him but yeah no idea where else, cant see him knocking out any of our Locks (if he put on size) and off the bench is probably no use. Maybe only a 14 but dunno. If he wants to stay in FG he needs to work on his running game big time.
Maybe bulk up and play at lock 2nd row,Wakeham &cogger in the halves,although defensively they are both liabilities,