Latrell Mitchell Discussion Megathread

Is Latrell worth $1 Million?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs: the only club happy to pay $1.2M for Kieran Foran, or $800k for Eastwood to play reggies, or $1M combined across MBye and James Graham to play at other clubs, but scoff at $1M per year for one of the best young up and coming rep players.
You're gonna use bad buys to justify another bad buy? shut up

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's been a mixed bag so far. Cogger and Meaney were up and down but they could have signed someone like Sivo or CNK for a similar amount to Meaney, if not less.

CHN and DWZ were good signings. I think Stimson will be too. Napa's getting paid way too much for what he provides.

Sue, Chris Smith and Chrichton were wasted signings and someone with more potential could have been signed and they take up a valuable squad spot. Katoa and Britt will be decent depth signings on the cheap.

It's who they sign, re-sign or release for 2021 that will determine how well they've done... Right now the number one priority should be to lock up all of our best young talent.
I don't really know when Sivo or CNK were signed up. But our current board were voted in when the bulk of player movement had taken place. And prior to that they had to rehome a few over priced players to even enter the market.

Smith, Sue and Chrighton were probably signed on minimal wages too. And the fact is that we needed to fill the 30 positions. Smith and Sue had a couple of decent games and Chrighton only got his chances when that edge of our backline was really out of form. To his credit he didn't lack in effort. The bulk of the youngsters we signed did or might still pay dividends.

But I do agree, we need to be locking up the talent we have had in the system.

I actually hate the new trend of signing players a full year in advance of their arrival. It can't help the players to stay focused. And a lot of shit can hit the fan in the wait for them to change clubs.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You're gonna use bad buys to justify another bad buy? shut up
The worst thing is using back ended contracts to compare due to the club misjudging the salary cap growth - something we're not going to do in the future you'd think. Completely different situation.

Also I'm not sure what point you're trying to make but you're doing the same thing (instead of justifying, saying not to) if you think Latrell will be a bad buy because of the money or previous signings.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs: the only club happy to pay $1.2M for Kieran Foran, or $800k for Eastwood to play reggies, or $1M combined across MBye and James Graham to play at other clubs, but scoff at $1M per year for one of the best young up and coming rep players.
Don't attribute the poor choices of the previous board to this one. The old board made a series of really bad decisions when they saw how tenuous their poor decisions in the past had made their jobs.

I'm wary of paying large sums of money based on hype. Woods should also be on your list above. Personally I'm happy to be rid of Mbye and Woods. Graham moving on was a big disappointment and Eastwood probably didn't foresee any heart issues when he signed a back ended contract. I don't know how much of an impact the heart issues had on his final years with us. But he'll go down as one of my favourite players of that era.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bullfrog would be turning in his grave after this cowardice shown by his daughter
Bullfrog wouldn't have let the club fall into the hole that his daughter is working at getting us out of. I don't recall the bullfrog era as being a time when we paid massive overs for talent. We developed most of our own back then and recruited very wisely.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't really know when Sivo or CNK were signed up. But our current board were voted in when the bulk of player movement had taken place. And prior to that they had to rehome a few over priced players to even enter the market.

Smith, Sue and Chrighton were probably signed on minimal wages too. And the fact is that we needed to fill the 30 positions. Smith and Sue had a couple of decent games and Chrighton only got his chances when that edge of our backline was really out of form. To his credit he didn't lack in effort. The bulk of the youngsters we signed did or might still pay dividends.

But I do agree, we need to be locking up the talent we have had in the system.

I actually hate the new trend of signing players a full year in advance of their arrival. It can't help the players to stay focused. And a lot of shit can hit the fan in the wait for them to change clubs.
Both Sivo and CNK were signed after 2018 and before the start of the 2019 season. So the new regime were around but we unfortunately missed out on those two. At least we nabbed DWZ to make up for it.

I know those guys would be on lesser deals, but it would be nice if we could strike gold on a bargain basement signing for once like other clubs tend to.

I agree. I think it's an absurd rule and you don't see it in many other sports at all, and for good reason. Too much can change and go wrong and it destabilises the player and the club they play for.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Ok say who wants to start the first of 60 pages about the Dogs signing D Fifita.

Banned
Reaction score
I have a poster of Harry Grant on my wall apparently. Just go with it. @Natboy II :kissingheart: .
Poster?
Most here would forgive folks for believing that you've a life sized doll of Grant!

Perhaps this demonstrates a change in attitude of the club from the former behaviour that got us into those situations?

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the Bulldogs have officially ruled themselves out from signing Latrell Mitchell.
He won’t be at the Dogs. Hill has spoken.
Where the fuck will he end up ?
Surely not at the Roosters ?

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m sure everyone would like to have him, just not at the outrageous overs he’s demanding.

Too much risk, too much strain on the cap. The Club has learned from the mistakes of the previous Board that crippled the club into a period of sharp decline.

This is yet another wise piece of decision making from the Board.
Do you not understand that in order to get the best players in the game you have to pay top dollar
It literally happens in every sport, how much you wanna fucken pay 400k ya muppet

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So the Bulldogs have officially ruled themselves out from signing Latrell Mitchell.
He won’t be at the Dogs. Hill has spoken.
Where the fuck will he end up ?
Surely not at the Roosters ?
I think he will stay for sure. Robbo or Uncle Nick will mend the bridges and put the $800k offer back on the table and he will sign it.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone honestly tell me why we can’t sign any “talent” for next year?? Why does the club keep saying we will be in the market to buy “talent” in 2021 but not in 2020? Like my maths is pretty good and I am not blind- our roster is bog average. We should have plenty of cap space and millions to spend next year. Why aren’t we actively looking for talent for 2020?? I reckon the club could have comfortably signed Latrell for 1 mill next year

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The worst thing is using back ended contracts to compare due to the club misjudging the salary cap growth - something we're not going to do in the future you'd think. Completely different situation.

Also I'm not sure what point you're trying to make but you're doing the same thing (instead of justifying, saying not to) if you think Latrell will be a bad buy because of the money or previous signings.
I would say the lack of interest from several clubs is enough to justify that Latrell, along with the issues he seems to have, isnt worth the 1m+ price tag.

I've been here consistently enough to know your views so no need to regurgitate. I don't see him fitting in. Happy to be proven wrong (you can't prove me wrong right now.) I do see what you're trying to say, don't agree necessarily.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I would say the lack of interest from several clubs is enough to justify that Latrell, along with the issues he seems to have, isnt worth the 1m+ price tag.

I've been here consistently enough to know your views so no need to regurgitate. I don't see him fitting in. Happy to be proven wrong (you can't prove me wrong right now.) I do see what you're trying to say, don't agree necessarily.
Roosters offering Latrell 800k is enough for me because that's not how they operate and they made an exception for Latrell. The Roosters offer what a player is worth or slightly under (650k).

Yeah no one really knows. After the fact it's just hindsight. Isn't really something you can argue because there will not be a winner. There are just positives and negatives. It isn't up to us to make the decision tho.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can someone honestly tell me why we can’t sign any “talent” for next year?? Why does the club keep saying we will be in the market to buy “talent” in 2021 but not in 2020? Like my maths is pretty good and I am not blind- our roster is bog average. We should have plenty of cap space and millions to spend next year. Why aren’t we actively looking for talent for 2020?? I reckon the club could have comfortably signed Latrell for 1 mill next year
We still have a number of contracts that were done while Des and Dib were in charge and they are backloaded. So they are taking up a large chunk of cap.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters offering Latrell 800k is enough for me because that's not how they operate and they made an exception for Latrell. The Roosters offer what a player is worth or slightly under (650k).

Yeah no one really knows. After the fact it's just hindsight. Isn't really something you can argue because there will not be a winner. There are just positives and negatives. It isn't up to us to make the decision tho.
Only thing we can agree on is that NO ONE should be using Woods, Mbye, Foran or any other bad signing to justify splashing cash on a player.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Only thing we can agree on is that NO ONE should be using Woods, Mbye, Foran or any other bad signing to justify splashing cash on a player.
Justify or use as a reason not to. I agree with that.

Different situation (what we did, where we were). I don't think any of those signings are comparable to Latrell. Each target needs to be treated differently.