Latrell Mitchell Discussion Megathread

Is Latrell worth $1 Million?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know how hard and fast the "similar player" thing is, and how they police it. My guess is the NRL doesn't really know either, which would be typical of them. What if he runs out wearing no.6 and Cogger (say) in no.3, but they play their normal positions? Do they have to play in their named positions for a set no. of minutes per game? what if there are injuries that require a reshuffle? Surely its not intenionally vague so they can allow some teams to do what they want and penalise other teams (such as, ooh I don't know, us?)???

5/8 isn't his best position at this stage of his career, for sure.
The NRL cannot tell you what type of attack you run, if all your attack stems from a Centre so be it hahaha.

Also, im sure if you signed someone as a 5/8 trialled them and damn it just doesn't work with our structures we need a positional switch.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters have said they will need to be compensated if LM leaves early.

Tough hombres those guys.
Yes that wouldn't surprise me at all. That will definitely turn any club off signing him for 2020 at 1M + whatever the Roosters want on top. Now Fittler and others are coming out of the woodwork trying to persuade him to stay with the Roosters for another few years for unders. I wouldn't be surprised if they extend him for 2021 and 2022 at least for 700K or 800K a season and they'll win the comp again next year and the year after and the year after that and then we and other clubs will be thinking about how we had a chance to snare him and improve our team for 2021 onwards at least AND weaken the Roosters considerably but we blew it by sitting on our hands for too long.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL cannot tell you what type of attack you run, if all your attack stems from a Centre so be it hahaha.

Also, im sure if you signed someone as a 5/8 trialled them and damn it just doesn't work with our structures we need a positional switch.
Very true!
You give the no 6 jersey to your centre. Just like your fullback packs in the scrum as a lock when you have the feed.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look what happens when Mitchel gets good ball, he generally makes or sets up line breaks and tries. He would be a killer fullback in attack, as long as he can read the Game from the back.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im a huge fan of DWZ and hoping that a full pre season at Fullback and a good core of players will improve his & our game. Love his returns, talks well and has decent speed. Just needs to mainly work on Ball playing and some positional play in attack.
I personally wouldn't risk him and his freedom for LM to come in and take his spot. Only Centre and possibly 5/8 for mine. Down the track I think LM could develop into a FB he has the skills, needs the fitness and want.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This saga would play on his mind and you'd think it would affect his potency as a marquee signing.
A thought would be sign him for $1mil 1 year contract next year and have an option for a further 4 years on $1.2 mil in the clubs favor should he be tried as a fullback or 5/8 and succeeds.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look what happens when Mitchel gets good ball, he generally makes or sets up line breaks and tries. He would be a killer fullback in attack, as long as he can read the Game from the back.
Or he could turn into Ben Barba, oozing talent and able to break open a game but be too mentally fragile and unhinged, go off the rails and we end up with a repeat situation. You may think that I'm over thinking things but already you can see some cracks in his mentality and attitude. When spending the kind of money being asked you got to make sure 100% that said player is in peak condition, physically and mentally.

We have been burnt before, many times.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wonder what LM thinks of us now.

According to the nrl journos we, through Coorey, instigated a meet up at George's home. The Board are supposed to have not known about it *cough,cough*. So this gets out, its talked about for the past few months as Bulldogs trying to sign him. First 10 mill for 10 years then 5 mill for 5 years then back to 10 mill.

His agent is feeding him and everyone else this bs so he thinks hey theres interest out there at a mill a season.

We reportedly go off him. We are told the Board is divided. Coorey reprimanded. Apparently we are out.

Rorters do the "honourable" thing and pull out of re-signing him.

Politis' attack dogs in the media and every ex-player hypocrite tell him to stay with Rorters for less.

They undermine the guy so much as being a cot case and other teams pull out as well.

The guy has never been involved in any major questionable antics as far as we know but it treated like an unstable nutter and troublemaker.

This is the kind of bs drama that the nrlol has become.

I dont know the truth of it all. Whats true. Whats close to true and whats complete bs. But does our club have some culpability in this rubbish because we "apparently" instigated it?

I'm not sure about him as a good fit for the dogs but ...

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or he could turn into Ben Barba, oozing talent and able to break open a game but be too mentally fragile and unhinged, go off the rails and we end up with a repeat situation. You may think that I'm over thinking things but already you can see some cracks in his mentality and attitude. When spending the kind of money being asked you got to make sure 100% that said player is in peak condition, physically and mentally.

We have been burnt before, many times.
What you saying he would get on the bags and beat his wife?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are not enough great players in the game to not offer Latrell a big deal... This will be a major fuckup if he goes to the Tigers of all clubs and we have to watch him punish our edge men every time we play them

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Politis' attack dogs in the media and every ex-player hypocrite tell him to stay with Rorters for less.

They undermine the guy so much as being a cot case and other teams pull out as well.

The guy has never been involved in any major questionable antics as far as we know but it treated like an unstable nutter and troublemaker.

This is the kind of bs drama that the nrlol has become.
This is a key point that really needs to be emphasised, especially in the context you have placed it. LM is a top athlete and player, similar to GI, but that is where comparisons should stop. The way this whole idiocy is heading the NRL is stupidly going to create an Adam Goodes style of environment and replicate the biggest shame to have happened to AFL in years. That is about as stupid as watching someone get their hand bitten off sticking it into a lions mouth, and then marching up and sticking your own arm in.

The only organisation to come out and tell the media to chill is the Players Association. If LM finds the right club he has a strong chance of being a major force over the next 10 years. He just needs to escape the clutches of the latte losers.

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thurston got told he wasn't needed at the Dogs as we were invested in Anasta instead at the time. He went to Cowboys because they were willing to take him and give him a starting role.
My info was murray rang folkes and folksie said he could be anything but the dogs were not prepaired to pay as much as cowboys were offering at that stage.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a key point that really needs to be emphasised, especially in the context you have placed it. LM is a top athlete and player, similar to GI, but that is where comparisons should stop. The way this whole idiocy is heading the NRL is stupidly going to create an Adam Goodes style of environment and replicate the biggest shame to have happened to AFL in years. That is about as stupid as watching someone get their hand bitten off sticking it into a lions mouth, and then marching up and sticking your own arm in.

The only organisation to come out and tell the media to chill is the Players Association. If LM finds the right club he has a strong chance of being a major force over the next 10 years. He just needs to escape the clutches of the latte losers.
I have been against us signing him from the start, but now I am starting to worm to the idea of our club signing him, only for the right money of course.
I don't know what has gone on with him and the Rotters behind closed doors, but I'm sure that they are a ruthless unforgiving club, who will attempt to destroy anyone who is not totally loyal to them.
Mitchell would no doubt have to be treated in the right way, simply because some Indigenous people like some emigrants still feel that they are outsiders to some extent.
I believe that rightly or wrongly he may have developed a hate for the Rotters, and its quite possible that he could use that hate against the Rotters whenever he plays against them.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I have been against us signing him from the start, but now I am starting to worm to the idea of our club signing him, only for the right money of course.
I don't know what has gone on with him and the Rotters behind closed doors, but I'm sure that they are a ruthless unforgiving club, who will attempt to destroy anyone who is not totally loyal to them.
Mitchell would no doubt have to be treated in the right way, simply because some Indigenous people like some emigrants still feel that they are outsiders to some extent.
I believe that rightly or wrongly he may have developed a hate for the Rotters, and its quite possible that he could use that hate against the Rotters whenever he plays against them.
This is exactly what I'm thinkin atm.

Maybe he has listened to all the fans and experts telling him he has to get more involved.

If he has any backbone at all he will be very motivated to show em just how good he is.

Ps I'm still hoping for some inside info on how the sombrero works as well.

Rorters dudded Pearce and he kept quiet, maybe LM will have some insight.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs pull out of race to sign Latrell Mitchell

The race to sign Sydney Roosters superstar Latrell Mitchell has narrowed with a key contender confirming they aren’t interested in signing the Australian strike centre.

Canterbury has officially pulled out of the race to sign Latrell Mitchell.

After a meeting of the club’s football retention committee this afternoon, chief executive Andrew Hill told The Daily Telegraph that the Bulldogs would not be pursuing the out of favour Sydney Rooster.

“Usually we don’t make comment around our recruitment and retention strategies,” Hill said.

“However, with all the speculation around this matter we thought it was the right thing to do by everyone to confirm we won’t pursue an interest in Latrell Mitchell.”

This decision came after a meeting between Hill, coach Dean Pay, general manager of football Steve Price and development and pathways manager Dave Hamilton.

The Bulldogs had been viewed as a significant player in the race for the 22-year-old Test centre after Mitchell met with board member George Khoury during the finals series.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/c3fa72a65cb68b8ee0bd4787f3a186f9