Possible Rd 1 team

joedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our team is not a top 8 team just face it and if we do make the 8 we will get knocked out first semi final unless we sign 2 good signings before next season.
If you look at other teams they would love playing us we a training run to most of em.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Averillo isn’t in the 29 players picked nor has he been selected as a development player. He won’t secure the last spot, we have (I believe) $400,000 to spend on a centre for 2020 plus potential cap relief from forans injury of $350,000
Averillo is 100% in the top 30 next year.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We defenitely need to start allowing our halves to be more dominant and play either side of the ruck with one being the preferred first receiver and so on. Wakeham defenitely looks to have the skillset to be a proper halfback for us moving forward while Cogger started to show some signs of a running game last season.

Last season we relied far too much on just trying to catch the opposition short on the edges, something from the forwards or Foran producing the money ball. More vision and finesse needs to be shown from the halves along with them being a genuine point of attack within our system that other players will run off.

Ideal situation is that Wakeham/Averillo manage a run together and kill it and we have two local juniors in the halves that compliment each other's game beautifully, everyone should be happy with that. I'll wake up now and stop dreaming :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Agree I hate the splitting of halves. On one occasion this year we had Cogger inject himself into the line from behind the play the ball linking with Lewis which instantly gave us the overlap. I have no doubt two players like Wakeham and Averillo could produce this. However I am a big Cogger fan so I hope he succeeds and Averillo finds a home at centre. But yeah we can dream it's really all we have at this point lol

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Meaney is more reliable than Okunbor and improved towards the backend of the season. He should get first shot with Okunbor having to force his way into the side and polish up his game. His work from our end is great but even without him it's not a major issue for us.
Agree. Smith is talented enough to play off any centre. Meaney is all pace ATM and needs excellent service, so I wouldn't mind seeing him outside Hoppa instead wether it be left or right wing

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Hopoate
4. Reimis
5. Okunbor
6. Foran/Wakeham
7. Lewis
8. Tolman
9. JMK
10. Napa
11. CHN
12. Jackson
13. Elliott

14. Katoa
15. RFM
16. Toomaga
17. Smith

I know Stimson missing out is controversial but I honestly think Elliott and Smith were great in the lock rotation this year (I'm obviously watching a different game to most of you, I know it's controversial... don't hate me please...) While Foran is out of the side we could risk not running a second Hooker (JMK having to move into the Halves) and Stimson could take that 14 role. I also want Jackson playing 80 minutes so keeping his Second Row position (I know a lot of people want him to move into Lock, not for me tho).

Cogger could start 6 but we need to decide between him and Wakeham. If Wakeham is the future we need to get him in next season or we'll lose him. Lewis over Cogger any day of the week for me.

I'm not a fan of Napa starting. I've only seen a little of Britt but possibly he could start and Napa on the bench. I don't see RFM and Toomaga as starters (play style not ability). Britt also seems like he can do those close passers between forwards close to the line. That's something Pay was trying to promote our Props to do (mainly Napa). Britt is potentially a Tolman replacement in the future. I don't have him in my 17.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like to be adventurous
1 DWZ
2 Meaney hopefully he has added few kgs
3 Lewis good defence hopefully will learn how to run without the 1/2s responsibly
4 Hopoate
5 Smith
6 Cogger
7 Wakeham
8 Tolman
9 JMK
10 Napa
11 Stimson
12 CHN
13 Jackson

14 Elliot
15 RFM
16 To'omaga
17 Katoa a must utility

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Agree I hate the splitting of halves. On one occasion this year we had Cogger inject himself into the line from behind the play the ball linking with Lewis which instantly gave us the overlap. I have no doubt two players like Wakeham and Averillo could produce this. However I am a big Cogger fan so I hope he succeeds and Averillo finds a home at centre. But yeah we can dream it's really all we have at this point lol
I'm not really that keen on Cogger, but atleast he showed some genuine halves ability last season and it was unfortunate to see him dropped and not allowed to continue his form.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Hopoate
4. Reimis
5. Okunbor
6. Foran/Wakeham
7. Lewis
8. Tolman
9. JMK
10. Napa
11. CHN
12. Jackson
13. Elliott

14. Katoa
15. RFM
16. Toomaga
17. Smith

I know Stimson missing out is controversial but I honestly think Elliott and Smith were great in the lock rotation this year (I'm obviously watching a different game to most of you, I know it's controversial... don't hate me please...) While Foran is out of the side we could risk not running a second Hooker (JMK having to move into the Halves) and Stimson could take that 14 role. I also want Jackson playing 80 minutes so keeping his Second Row position (I know a lot of people want him to move into Lock, not for me tho).

Cogger could start 6 but we need to decide between him and Wakeham. If Wakeham is the future we need to get him in next season or we'll lose him. Lewis over Cogger any day of the week for me.

I'm not a fan of Napa starting. I've only seen a little of Britt but possibly he could start and Napa on the bench. I don't see RFM and Toomaga as starters (play style not ability). Britt also seems like he can do those close passers between forwards close to the line. That's something Pay was trying to promote our Props to do (mainly Napa). Britt is potentially a Tolman replacement in the future. I don't have him in my 17.
Britt is not an anything replacement lol. He isn't even a middle forward, looks far more comfortable on an edge.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Lewis starts no matter what (barring injury). He is a board and coach favourite (I think because of his surname. They are waiting for a miracle). And he just re-signed before a preseason training session is even complete.

Facts is the most complete half at our club is cogger (most complete doesn’t mean he is an amazing half, just the best we have). His passing is solid both sides of the ruck. His short kicking game is by far and away the most natural at the club. And when he sees a chance and pins his ears back and runs, he is the most dangerous.

Only player that can create for himself and others, and is able to get repeat sets. Foran is a class player. But is missing that touch of speed he used to have to break the line and his body is falling apart. And no one can dispute that.

If we do want a chance for a top 8 spot cogger is the logical choice. I can appreciate how brave and courageous Lewis’ defence is. But last time I checked a half controls the game and leads the offence. Not leads the defence.

Cogger is a poor mans sherwin. With development could be a solid half. Might even be a bit like Mitch Healey who was a great clubman at the sharks. I see a lot of mitches game in cogger.

Lewis is a very very poor mans pollamounta. No where near as polished as a play maker. But both dogged defenders.

It will surprise me if cogger ever makes a rep team. But as a complete and genuine half he has a better game then Lewis. And no one can deny that. Lewis might be one of the best front on defenders in the Comp. especially on bigger man. And definitely for a half. But his passes are erratic. His short kicking game is bog average. And his running game is painful to watch. Makes Reynolds running game looks magestic.

but in saying all the above, we have locked him up very very early for the season after next. So we are showing our hand. And with Foran out it’s either Lewis and cogs. Or Lewis and another to start the season. And I’ll go so far as saying if Foran returns at some point during the season cogger will male way. For some reason the club doesn’t want a half that shows half Qualities.

Last edited:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1 - DWZ
2 - Meaney/Okunbor
3 - Averillo/Smith
4 - Hoppa
5 - Smith
6 - Lewis/Averillo
7 - Wakeham/ Cogger
8 - Tolman
9 - JMK
10 - Napa
11 - CHN
12 - Stimson
13 - Jackson

14 - Katoa
15 - RFM
16 - To'Omaga
17 - Elliot

If by any Miracle LM comes in, Left Centre or 5/8 at a stretch for Cap relief

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why do we keep having threads started with a team list that doesn't include a recognised goalkicker? If you're going to go to all the thought of coming up with a team list + starting a whole new thread, PLEASE include one...

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How I'd start the season (Pay won't).

1. DWZ (VC)
2. Meaney (GK)
3. Averillo
4. Hoppa
5. Smith
6. Cogger
7. Wakeham
8. Tolman
9. JMK
10. Napa
11. Stimson
12. CHN
13. Jackson (C)

14. Katoa
15. Elliott
16. RFM
17. To'omaga
Just Latrell missing. I cannot believe it hasn’t happened yet

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just Latrell missing. I cannot believe it hasn’t happened yet
I can. Nobody is interested in paying him what he wants while also going to the trouble to accommodate him. Get back to us when his expectations are more realistic or piss off to union.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Why do we keep having threads started with a team list that doesn't include a recognised goalkicker? If you're going to go to all the thought of coming up with a team list + starting a whole new thread, PLEASE include one...
My team had 3 ;)

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Montoya or Holland start the season, I will go insane... if we cant score a Jennings or someone capable on a one year deal, I'd be going with Harper or gambling on either Averillo or Tass.

No point playing blokes that have a proven record of losing and who we know will not be in the 2021 team.

1 DWZ
2 Meaney
3 Harper (Averillo or Tass)
4 Hoppa
5 Reimis
6 Cogger
7 Wakeham
8 Tolman
9 JMK
10 Napa
11 Jackson
12 CHN
13 Elliot

14 Katoa
15 Toomaga
16 Stimson
17 RFM

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
2. Jayden Okunbor
3. Will Hopoate
4. Morgan Harper (GK)
5. Reimis Smith
6. Lachlan Lewis
7. Jack Cogger
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Dylan Napa
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Joe Stimson
13. Josh Jackson (C)
---

14. Sione Katoa
15. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
16. Renouf To'omaga
17. Adam Elliott

Subs: Brandon Wakeham, Chris Smith, Christian Crichton, Dean Britt, Isaiah Tass, Jake Averillo, Kerrod Holland, Kieran Foran, Marcelo Montoya, Nick Meaney, Ofahiki Ogden, Sauaso Sue.

We've actually got some solid depth now. Pretty comfortable that with form and injuries we have some quite good replacements.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Hopoate
4. Reimis
5. Okunbor
6. Foran/Wakeham
7. Lewis
8. Tolman
9. JMK
10. Napa
11. CHN
12. Jackson
13. Elliott

14. Katoa
15. RFM
16. Toomaga
17. Smith

I like it.. considering our main issue is centre and we have okunbor I think it's worth a shot.

Only thing I would change though is bench Elliot and bring Stimson in on an edge with Jacko to rotate with sweet Caroline.

It's a well rounded team and if the forwards go well next year we should be a sneaky for the top 8.