Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We might all be beating around the bush
I hope I am wrong...no marquee player will sign
Could coach Pay be a deterrent ???
No. Coach isn't really a factor unless it's for the same $ (a coach is pretty much judged on how the team is performing anyways, legacy meh). Knights signed Ponga, Pearce and Klemmer with Brown in charge. Pay's done a tremendous job with what he has so lay off him a little. I suspect Pay will be in charge until someone high profile comes available and he has at least a year with the roster he builds.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No. Coach isn't really a factor unless it's for the same $ (a coach is pretty much judged on how the team is performing anyways, legacy meh). Knights signed Ponga, Pearce and Klemmer with Brown in charge. Pay's done a tremendous job with what he has so lay off him a little. I suspect Pay will be in charge until someone high profile comes available and he has at least a year with the roster he builds.
I have nothing against Pay, I am simply assuming and concerned !
Newcastle get supported by NRL to rebuild as a major force.
It is the opposite when it comes to Canterbury !!!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure who is left from these guys, but they would be worth an inquiry.

Jordan Kahu (just based on his price tag and kicking ability, not a world beater but better then we have)
Katoni Staggs (Is he even available?)
Luke Bateman
Cotric
Sezer (Apparently gone to huddersfield I think someone mentioned?)
Wighton (No way he is leaving, especially if we are gun shy to offer players 1 million+)
Sione Katoa (From Cronulla, reunite him with his brother)
Jai Arrows (again long shot and might be after big coin, but good replacement for Tols)
Bring Taupau back home? Might be worth it if the price is right
Maybe Kane evens just for some mungrel. But we are stacked with forwards

To be honest outside of the top line talents (Turbos, Mitchell, Fafita etc) there is some slim pickings.

Looking at that list if we can get a dynamic back like Cotric or Staggs, Bring in a forward or 2 (especially if Elliot and Tols are moved on) and get croft in (no doubt he is an upgrade with what we have, even if he is a "Storm reject") and if we can try nab harry grant as the big money player before he is an established first grader. Then I have no doubt we can mount finals chargers, doubt we would win a comp in the currently NRL, but maybe by 21-22 some of the other teams drop off and don't rebuild to the level they are at.

We do need a superstar fullback (not shitting on zelekniak) would have been awesome to get Mitchell and throw him in the back, but that seems to be off the table, So unless we can get a Folau or someone then it seems DWZ will be the long term 1, and we will just need to fill in the gaps. Especially if we are keeping the likes of Lewis and co, its showing me the club will outlay and assemble a roster then look at what is left on the market once done.

Instead of picking up 1-2 "rock stars" and assembling a roster around them. Mentioned this in another thread. We are basically having Maccas on the way to a top line restaurant if we are keeping Lewis and co when Mitchell has made it clear he will go to the highest offer and Roosters are no longer an option.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really rate Tetevano... I'd say one of the Roosters best this year.

If we can get him and Mitchell for 2020 we are building towards a solid team and can then focus more on the spine. This would require offloading someone of value, possibly Tolman? Great bloke and would definitely add value to another team in the NRL. However, we need a few more forwards that are going to put a dent in the defensive line... Tolman just hasn't been doing that.

Last edited:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
No one, turn the current rookies into legends in their own right.
Just wait and a couple of stars will become available next year.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I really rate Tetevano... I'd say one of the Roosters best this year.

If we can get him and Mitchell for 2020 we are building towards a solid team and can then focus more on the spine. This would require offloading someone of value, possibly Tolman? Great bloke and would definitely add value to another team in the NRL. However, we need a few more forwards that are going to put a dent in the defensive line... Tolman just hasn't been doing that.
I would love to see us land tetevano and latrell.

I would also like to see us pick up the other Katoa sharks winger now Raimen is back he won’t get a run.

Dwz/Latrell (rotate them
Smith
Dwz/latrell
Hoppa
Katoa

Yes please

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over it....they can stick their 8 million war chest up their arse..no one of the marquee quality will come here, same goes for a major sponsor, think we are in trouble ....sack the lot of them at board level
Agree. They're just wasting time, seats, air and money

axeman23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would love to see us land tetevano and latrell.

I would also like to see us pick up the other Katoa sharks winger now Raimen is back he won’t get a run.

Dwz/Latrell (rotate them
Smith
Dwz/latrell
Hoppa
Katoa

Yes please

I definitely like the idea of Katoa and Tetevano. Would also like to at least kick the tyres on John Bateman, he's a quality old-school footballer who can play several positions. He also seems pretty adept at the 1 on 1 strips, which is an increasingly important part of todays game, and is young enough to stick around for a few years while not needing time to work into the game either.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I definitely like the idea of Katoa and Tetevano. Would also like to at least kick the tyres on John Bateman, he's a quality old-school footballer who can play several positions. He also seems pretty adept at the 1 on 1 strips, which is an increasingly important part of todays game, and is young enough to stick around for a few years while not needing time to work into the game either.
Bateman is a gun but cant see us getting him for some reason... Katoa may be a good chance considering his brother is already at the club!

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There will be a host of others under contract that become available for next season if some of these high profile players go to other clubs. Wouldn't be surprised if we snagged someone decent that hasn't been talked about at all.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though its been reported he will extend with Parra, as far as I can see M Jennings is still yet to re-sign for next year. Don't know what the hold up is, but he made Wighton look ordinary last weekend (yes, I know Wighton is more than capable of doing that all on his own).

Got a bit of salt n pepper on top, but he still has the skills, would likely qualify as a "solid first grader"...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There will be a host of others under contract that become available for next season if some of these high profile players go to other clubs. Wouldn't be surprised if we snagged someone decent that hasn't been talked about at all.
We live in hope lol

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
DoggyStyla said:
Mate if we sign Ado from Storm, I will do a nudie run at our first home game. Instead of paying overs for these bunch of players, our recruiting team should be in Fiji looking for some big strong outside backs.

I don’t want to see you nude but fuck I hope this happens haha. He is keen to move back to Sydney ;)
For you @DoggyStyla :grinning:

Michael Carayannis and Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
November 7, 2019 8:00pm
Subscriber only

FOXX STILL CALLS SYDNEY HOME

COULD Melbourne Storm and Kangaroos flyer Josh Addo-Carr be close to making a shock return to Sydney?

Some Sydney clubs certainly think so and would be obviously interested in bringing Addo-Carr back to do his thing on the wing.

Addo-Carr has been a revelation since joining the Storm in 2017 from the Wests Tigers, where he has risen from a fringe first grader to a bona fide premiership and State of Origin-winning representative star.

And despite two years left on his deal with Melbourne that’s worth about $700,000, there has been a suggestion Addo-Carr could be on his way back to Sydney — sooner rather than later.

When asked last week if Melbourne or Sydney was home, Addo-Carr made it clear the Harbour City is where his heart is.

“Sydney is always home for me," Addo-Carr said. “I’m grateful for what Melbourne have done for me. They’ve turned my career around. They’ve turned me into the player I’ve always dreamt to be.

“Sydney (though) is always going to be home. My whole family is there. If I want to start a little family, I want my kids to grow up with my family.”

Addo-Carr said it was the Storm’s values under supercoach Craig Bellamy which helped transform him on and off the field.

“It was the culture of Melbourne,” Addo-Carr said. “We have good leaders. You have to work hard to be in the side. You don’t get given the jersey. You earnt it.”

axeman23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bateman is a gun but cant see us getting him for some reason... Katoa may be a good chance considering his brother is already at the club!
Yeah, to be honest I don't think we did ourselves any favours with the English contingent with the way things ended between James Graham and us, unfortunately. I do hope the Katoa connection works in our favour, though!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
When is Tyson Frizell off contract?
Should be our priority.