Latrell Mitchell Discussion Megathread

Is Latrell worth $1 Million?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Do we really know that he knocked back the Rorters $800k offer just over money? I know its been reported ad nauseum, and thats the line the media keeps pushing, but has Latrell himself actually said that?

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a bit pissed off when they offered the lowball $650k pa (assuming that reported amount is true), and then they allowed him to stew on it for months, letting that angst fester, then when it comes to Nov 1, they finally agree to increase the offer, but only by $150k pa.

Maybe if they offered $800kpa months ago, they could've avoided all this shit. Maybe not, too.

If he's seriously considering NQ, I wouldn't walk away but just have a conversation with him about just how hard moving your family that far away from their roots really can be, hard enough that the extra $100k pa or so may not seem worth it.

I really hope the club isn't solely going down the "solid first graders" path, that sounds like a recipe for mediocrity.
Well we know that Mundine has been a mediator in this whole thing and he wants Latrell to come to us, so maybe he has some pulling power over it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say three contracts have over inflated the market. If those clubs had their time over I highly doubt they would do those deals again. If anything that should be a tale of caution for anyone paying Latrell that kind of money. At least those three players had been playing in the spine for their whole career as well.

If you are buying a house and you know it’s worth you have to know when to stop bidding. If someone else is dumb enough to pay more good luck to them.
Oh for sure they wouldn't! But the cap will keep gradually going up and clubs will keep making similar bad decisions in the future.

I agree! But after a while, you might end up homeless or having to settle for a 2 bedroom apartment in Mt.Druitt. They own enough 2 bedroom Mt. Druitt apartments as it is!

They don't have to sign Latrell. But they can't just use up all of the cap space by upgrading everyone from the regular 17 from last season. All while they release our best juniors again and sign a few more fringe first graders and expect to all of a sudden become a premiership force.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do we really know that he knocked back the Rorters $800k offer just over money? I know its been reported ad nauseum, and thats the line the media keeps pushing, but has Latrell himself actually said that?

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a bit pissed off when they offered the lowball $650k pa (assuming that reported amount is true), and then they allowed him to stew on it for months, letting that angst fester, then when it comes to Nov 1, they finally agree to increase the offer, but only by $150k pa.

Maybe if they offered $800kpa months ago, they could've avoided all this shit. Maybe not, too.

If he's seriously considering NQ, I wouldn't walk away but just have a conversation with him about just how hard moving your family that far away from their roots really can be, hard enough that the extra $100k pa or so may not seem worth it.

I really hope the club isn't solely going down the "solid first graders" path, that sounds like a recipe for mediocrity.
We don't know. You're right. It could be anything going on behind closed doors and we really would be none the wiser to what's going on. All we can do is speculate.

I think though it's pretty clear we've been talking to him for some time. So much talk from so many people for quite a while. We've done all the groundwork. I really think that's true.

To do all of that and for him to turn around and start negotiating with NQ? Nah, money is important but his heart has to be in it too. If his head keeps getting turned by $$ at other clubs then he's really not the right guy for us. In that case we walk away. It 100% means though that our recruitment team failed as they should've been able to convince him to play with us considering how long we've apparently been talking to the guy.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well I love cars but wouldn't spend my money on one of them (Veyron, that is). I'd much rather buy 3 very good cars. They probably won't be as fast as the Veyron, but they'll get the job done. It's not like I'll be able to thrash a Veyron here in Sydney anyway lol.
Hahaha yeah all good mate, I was bored.

The longer it drags out the more of a Circus it will become.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
You can express interest but can’t entice someone to break a contract hence why clubs had to wait until November 1 this year for players not off contract until 2020 such as Manu
Let’s not spin shit mate.

Fact is as I said we can speak to absolutely anyone. This whole have to wait to talk to shit is over. Was changed years ago.

This isn’t about breaking contracts. No one said encourage him to break it (though no question clubs do on the sly)

This is about the fact you can speak to anyone! You can’t register a contract until November 1.

Nothing stopped us talking to manu at all.

If he expressed interest back we can sign and register at November.

Again this isn’t a bash the board cause we didn’t get manu. He highly likely had no interest leaving based on his comments quoted to the media.

Though again we certainly can talk to anyone.

Just can’t register them till November 1

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh for sure they wouldn't! But the cap will keep gradually going up and clubs will keep making similar bad decisions in the future.

I agree! But after a while, you might end up homeless or having to settle for a 2 bedroom apartment in Mt.Druitt.

They don't have to sign Latrell. But they can't just use up all of the cap space by upgrading everyone from the regular 17 from last season. While they release our best juniors again and sign a few more fringe first graders and expect to all of a sudden become a premiership force.
The cap might rise but overpaying is still overpaying. When the cap rises everyone wants a larger slice of the pie and the cap doesn’t rise that much only a couple $100k a year.

It doesn’t have to be that extreme of being homeless or living in Mt Druitt you just keep looking in the same area you want to live in until you get your house.

It’s only November 2019 and we are talking about the 2021 season no one has signed a contract to change clubs in 21 yet. They will buy players.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The cap might rise but overpaying is still overpaying. When the cap rises everyone wants a larger slice of the pie and the cap doesn’t rise that much only a couple $100k a year.

It doesn’t have to be that extreme of being homeless or living in Mt Druitt you just keep looking in the same area you want to live in until you get your house.

It’s only November 2019 and we are talking about the 2021 season no one has signed a contract to change clubs in 21 yet. They will buy players.
Of course they will buy players. It's who they buy that worries me. I agree with you that I'd rather they manage the cap in a more shrewd manner with smarter, more cost effective signings but when they sign Napa to three years on 600-700k when we already had Tolman, Sue, RFM, Ogden and To'omaga, then I have massive doubts as to whether those at the club are capable of great cap management and negotiating.

The other problem is, they keep window shopping and negotiating with players but keep on getting turned down or deciding not to offer a contract. So eventually, they'll make more panic buys because of their indecisiveness as most of the decent options signed elsewhere.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course they will buy players. It's who they buy that worries me. I agree with you that I'd rather they manage the cap in a more shrewd manner with smarter, more cost effective signings but when they sign Napa to three years on 600-700k when we already had Tolman, Sue, RFM, Ogden and To'omaga, then I have massive doubts as to whether those at the club are capable of great cap management and negotiating.
Agree. Napa was a panic signing when they realised Klemmer was out the door

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Let’s not spin shit mate.

Fact is as I said we can speak to absolutely anyone. This whole have to wait to talk to shit is over. Was changed years ago.

This isn’t about breaking contracts. No one said encourage him to break it (though no question clubs do on the sly)

This is about the fact you can speak to anyone! You can’t register a contract until November 1.

Nothing stopped us talking to manu at all.

If he expressed interest back we can sign and register at November.

Again this isn’t a bash the board cause we didn’t get manu. He highly likely had no interest leaving based on his comments quoted to the media.

Though again we certainly can talk to anyone.

Just can’t register them till November 1
If that was the case the NRL would be hit with a pile on contracts on November 1. Expressing interest is vastly different to giving a player the whole tour and offering a package etc. Not arguing with what you were saying, just saying it’s not as black & white as you thought

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good point and hard to argue against.

How has our recruitment department changed over the last couple of year. Did Mark Hughes get more involved inthe last year? With the new board?

I guess my hope is that they're improving in this area also? Think clubs will always make bad judgment calls when buying players. The problem for us is that we need to make some very good calls right now to turn things around.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
If that was the case the NRL would be hit with a pile on contracts on November 1. Expressing interest is vastly different to giving a player the whole tour and offering a package etc. Not arguing with what you were saying, just saying it’s not as black & white as you thought
You are completely allowed to do exactly what you said.

I know a few titans boys.

I’ve actually discussed this with one in depth.

It is very much as simple as I said.

They can talk to clubs, managers do most of it. They can have meetings. Can view facilities.

Though nothing can be signed or registered with the nrl until November 1.

This was brought in to piss off the old ways people think as far as can’t talk to anyone rubbish.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You are completely allowed to do exactly what you said.

I know a few titans boys.

I’ve actually discussed this with one in depth.

It is very much as simple as I said.
Ok mate. Forgot you were an expert on contract law

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Ok mate. Forgot you were an expert on contract law
This has nothing to do with contract law. We aren’t talking about a contract, we are talking about when players can be approached or discuss their future. Not the actual document.

As stated already that can’t be done till November 1.

The fact your trying to turn it into a smart arse comment leads me to believe your talking out your ass and don’t like the fact you aren’t caught with doing so.

Instead of simply appreciating a factual input.

This isn’t a if or but this is fact. You are incorrect.

I don’t know everything mate, don’t pretend to either (perhaps take that on board) though this is something I do know from currently nrl player.

Even know about the whole release shit as he’s no longer with the titans and I still chat with him. Dealt with him in my work and he’s been good with me ever since.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with contract law.

The fact your trying to turn it into a smart arse comment leads me to believe your talking out your ass and don’t like the fact you aren’t correct.

Instead of simply appreciating a factual input.

This isn’t a if or but this is fact. You are incorrect.
Hahaha thanks for your factual input. Check with the NRL and get back to me

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hahaha thanks for your factual input. Check with the NRL and get back to me
Alright buddy sorry you got exposed talking out your ass mate.

No need a current nrl player is sufficient enough for me.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

The other problem is, they keep window shopping and negotiating with players but keep on getting turned down or deciding not to offer a contract. So eventually, they'll make more panic buys because of their indecisiveness as most of the decent options signed elsewhere.
While Napa might have been a miss you have to fair about other signings they have made like CHN and DWZ. It's not like every one they have signed has been a bust so it's not all doom and gloom on that front.

I'd argue buying Latrell for a million would be a panic buy. It's not that easy sealing deals with players some come off and some do plus you have the ridiculous media speculation over player movement where you never know how many links are even there.

If we are sitting here this time next year and the cupboards empty on the buying player front then questions will be asked but we are a long way from that at the minute.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Alright buddy sorry you got exposed talking out your ass mate.

No need a current nrl player is sufficient enough for me.
Yes mate, listen to a footy player, they’ll know the contract laws. I’ll let you get back to writing cry baby posts about that board. You don’t have the brains to expose me. I was hesitant to respond to your comment when I saw who the poster was. You just seem to know everything and like Brady & Brad. As I said, check with the NRL and get back to me. An expression of interest is one thing

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
why not play him at 5/8 and get the 350k cap allowance from forans international injury to top his contract for next year

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
While Napa might have been a miss you have to fair about other signings they have made like CHN and DWZ. It's not like every one they have signed has been a bust so it's not all doom and gloom on that front.

I'd argue buying Latrell for a million would be a panic buy. It's not that easy sealing deals with players some come off and some do plus you have the ridiculous media speculation over player movement where you never know how many links are even there.

If we are sitting here this time next year and the cupboards empty on the buying player front then questions will be asked but we are a long way from that at the minute.
I've always agreed about those two and the Stimson signings as they were good signings. But we need more good signings like those and less like Napa, Sue and Chrichton etc..

We'll see what happens. If the club prioritised the development and retention of Wakeham, Averillo, Taas, Harper, Ogden, RFM and To'omaga and signed some more exciting younger talent from other clubs, then I'd be less anxious. But I'm concerned that the majority of those will be moved on and flourish elsewhere like many times before...

Knowing Pay, he'll play it safe by playing his signings and favourites over those guys any chance he gets regardless of form, especially when he's fighting for a new contract himself and will play those he thinks he can "trust" and who are "reliable".