Is Latrell worth $1 Million?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latrell Mitchell wants to play fullback at the Dogs … but they already have one

Kangaroos centre Latrell Mitchell has told a Bulldogs board member of his desire to play fullback in the latest twist in what has become a complex and ugly standoff with back-to-back premiers the Sydney Roosters.

Fox Sports has learned Mitchell spoke to a Canterbury board member on Tuesday after Roosters coach Trent Robinson personally delivered the news the club was withdrawing its $1.8 million offer for 2021 and 2022.

Mitchell told the board member of his desire to play fullback – but the catch is Canterbury are in a conundrum now after recently announcing the re-signing of Kiwi Test player Dallin Watene-Zelezniak.

So the Bulldogs can probably only sign Mitchell as a centre. And no other centre in the game is on more than $1 million a season.

Which is what the Bulldogs are now set to attempt to thrash out at a recruitment and retention meeting in Belmore on Wednesday afternoon.

How much is Mitchell worth to the club?

The other issue for Canterbury-Bankstown is the Bulldogs only have about $400,000 of salary cap room for next season, meaning the club isn’t in a position to sign Mitchell for 2020 unless it attempts to shift other players. Or if Kieran Foran was to gain some salary cap relief for being injured playing Test football for New Zealand.

Mitchell made his NRL debut on the wing before moving to fullback where he had mixed results for the Roosters in the year the club finished 15th in 2016.

The Roosters then switched him to the centres where Mitchell went on to play for NSW and Australia and establish a reputation as a game-breaking three-quarter.

The Wests Tigers are one club who has money and will be prepared to play the Kangaroos centre at fullback.

They’ve emerged as a surprise, left-field contender.

South Sydney general manager of football Shane Richardson told Fox Sports the Rabbitohs had no interest in signing the Kangaroos centre.

The Bunnies also said the same thing about James Roberts earlier in the year and then signed ‘Jimmy the Jet’ a month later.

The Newcastle Knights were another possible option given the Hunter region’s proximity to Mitchell’s home town of Taree.

But the club is not believed to be in a salary cap position to make a play for Mitchell, who is currently in Taree.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/0c03145fc1bb741c241a602b5e2f00ed
IF what Pooper-Scooper-Hooper is writing is even remotely true, sign him as our replacement 5/8 for Foz, use our remaining cap money plus the $350k cap relief. I'm sure the medical staff will find Foz unavailable for at least 12 rounds next year.

Even if the $400k figure is true, that's more than what he's going to get from the Rorters next year. If he wants more, surely a TPA can be arranged for next year.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Looks like the light bulb has finally gone off for Latrell and his management that he will only get big money playing in the spine and now he magically wants to play fullback!
Pretty sure he has mentioned this a few times though?
Maybe more info is being leaked about his requests?

I don't think he would be too worried, he will be picked up by someone for around the Mil mark. Depends whats best fit for him I guess.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
IF what Pooper-Scooper-Hooper is writing is even remotely true, sign him as our replacement 5/8 for Foz, use our remaining cap money plus the $350k cap relief. I'm sure the medical staff will find Foz unavailable for at least 12 rounds next year.

Even if the $400k figure is true, that's more than what he's going to get from the Rorters next year. If he wants more, surely a TPA can be arranged for next year.
Yep, that's what I was getting on about earlier.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Looks like the light bulb has finally gone off for Latrell and his management that he will only get big money playing in the spine and now he magically wants to play fullback!
I don't doubt that they're using that to try and get a bigger contract. But I also believe that Latrell was only playing in the centres because they had Teddy at fullback.

If Teddy wasn't there, Latrell would have been moved to fullback again full time two years ago. Is it not possible that his preference is to play there and not the centres?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only reason you sign Latrell Mitchell for the money talked about would be to play fullback... no centre is worth the money they are talking about for him

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure he has mentioned this a few times though?
Maybe more info is being leaked about his requests?

I don't think he would be too worried, he will be picked up by someone for around the Mil mark. Depends whats best fit for him I guess.
There’s so many conflicting reports so who knows where the truth lies.

I think he would struggle to get to a million just playing centre but you never know.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think we need a bradyk/bradtalo/bulldogs09 rebel ticket to stand at the next Board election
Why do we all have B names. Join us @btrainben

Seriously tho. I'm a lone wolf we just agree on some things regarding recruitment.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt that they're using that to try and get a bigger contract. But I also believe that Latrell was only playing in the centres because they had Teddy at fullback.

If Teddy wasn't there, Latrell would have been moved to fullback again full time two years ago. Is it not possible that his preference is to play there and not the centres?
Yeah that’s very possible it’s just all the fun and games of negotiation I guess.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
With or without immortals they are also successful because they don’t throw stupid money at marquee players from other clubs. Instead they identify and develop youngsters. Our club has started doing that again too.
I’m not saying don’t recruit, I’m saying recruit smartly. Being reckless got us in this position
That opening sentence ends the theory.

They don’t throw stupid money at marquee players because they have had 3 of the greats for a decade eating their cap.

When you have 3 immortals your conversation is different.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
That opening sentence ends the theory.

They don’t throw stupid money at marquee players because they have had 3 of the greats for a decade eating their cap.

When you have 3 immortals your conversation is different.
What about prior to those players and what about once Cameron Smith retires? Will they fall into a heap? No

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
What about prior to those players and what about once Cameron Smith retires? Will they fall into a heap? No
Before them? They won a title in what 14 years? I mean that’s less then since we have won one but not exactly the force they have been the past decade!

After Smith is yet to be seen. Your crystal ball must help the debate there.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope we get Latrell.

I think the Roosters probably lose 5 or six games in 2019 if he wasn’t there including the GF.

He is a superstar

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Before them? They won a title in what 14 years? I mean that’s less then since we have won one but not exactly the force they have been the past decade!

After Smith is yet to be seen. Your crystal ball must help the debate there.
It’s just common sense, I don’t need a crystal ball. The storm have always been successful and very competitive

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
It’s just common sense, I don’t need a crystal ball. The storm have always been successful and very competitive
That comment is pure crystal ball: you are speculating about something in the future that is yet to be determined. Your opinion is not common sense it is something you believe. It is yet to be seen.