• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Quote: ‘We couldn’t even sign Ramien or Koroisau’.

Why are you disregarding that Ramien only wanted to go back to the Sharks and maybe just had a couple of meetings if that didn’t work out for him (which it did)?

Why are you disregarding that Api was close to Barrett from their time at Manly so when Barrett was appointed Panthers assistant he swooped, sweetened our deal and Api jumped?

There are MANY factors as to why deals do and don’t happen - yet so many here are willing to crucify our executives/directors saying they are incompetent and screwed it up - and that’s just not true as I see it.
That doesn’t suit his agenda though

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Quote: ‘We couldn’t even sign Ramien or Koroisau’.

Why are you disregarding that Ramien only wanted to go back to the Sharks and maybe just had a couple of meetings if that didn’t work out for him (which it did)?

Why are you disregarding that Api was close to Barrett from their time at Manly so when Barrett was appointed Panthers assistant he swooped, sweetened our deal and Api jumped?

There are MANY factors as to why deals do and don’t happen - yet so many here are willing to crucify our executives/directors saying they are incompetent and screwed it up - and that’s just not true as I see it.
I believe the reasons why we missed out on those two players will be similar if not the same reasons why we miss out on more/all players around that level if we're not going to spend the money. It's hard to argue we're almost the last, if not the last (imo), Sydney club a player will sign for in our current state. I know that's hard to take in. You can lie to yourself all your like I'm just looking at what's in front of me. There are only two main reasons a deal will happen; 1: money, 2: current success.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The storm identified and developed those 3 future immortals though
Guess what else they did when they had to let go of one of the "big 4" after busting the cap? They let go of the big money centre in Inglis!

Paying mega bucks for anyone out of the spine is a recipe for salary cap hell.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Storm are still a force despite having only 1 of them left and a 35 year old one at that. They still don’t look anywhere near anything other than a Top 4 team as they’ve continued to pump out the young talent.

Cronk and Tedesco are worth 1M. That’s market value, not overs. If anything I’d consider it unders for Tedesco.
Mitchell isn’t as valuable as Tedesco or Cronk
That’s all well and good to fluff over.

The reality is smith isn’t just an ageing player.

He’s arguably the greatest player to ever play the game.

He had a run with a very good coach and two future immortals for the decade.

Let’s also not dismiss the fact that they are a team that has been maintained throughout cheating and keeping illegally assembled squads still built around that by releasing the older blokes when the time is right (e.g Hoffman) and recruiting finucane etc.

They are also far better recruiting then we are. Both with an eye for talent for kids but as I said finucane,addo carr.

It’s not realistic to compare to the storm. We don’t have the luxury of playing them with one of the all time Greats. He makes others look better then they are but in many other aspects we just aren’t comparable from the ground up.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the reasons why we missed out on those two players will be similar if not the same reasons why we miss out on more/all players around that level if we're not going to spend the money. It's hard to argue we're almost the last, if not the last (imo), Sydney club a player will sign for in our current state. I know that's hard to take in. You can lie to yourself all your like I'm just looking at what's in front of me.
You're cooked

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You're cooked
I'm cooked because you don't want what I'm saying to happen? Offer something mate. Explain to me why we're not the last Sydney club a player will sign for. EVEN IF you somehow do for the Dragons or another club around that level (I'll disagree anyways) you're clutching at straws AND those clubs will pay overs. Good luck getting talent buddy.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
The storm identified and developed those 3 future immortals though
If that’s what your hanging your hat on you must look forward to a premiership maybe in 3084.

I’m sure we can all celebrate that up above looking down.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I said yes to the poll. While i dont think hes worth $1 million a year base value as a player, more like $800K imo, he may end up being worth the million in other ways as well. Like attracting more bums in seats at matches, maybe more memberships. If he helps our form and we go well, we get more sponsors and also more ppl attend matches and buy merch when we are going well. Having him in the side may also influence another good player to come here at some point. His "extra value" to the club is worth a few hundred thousand imo. So id pay a million for him even though hes a $800K player.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If that’s what your hanging your hat on you must look forward to a premiership maybe in 3084.

I’m sure we can all celebrate that up above looking down.
No, I think the point went over your head.
You said the storm logic was not applicable. I’d prefer to recruit AND also develop our own players too

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I believe the reasons why we missed out on those two players will be similar if not the same reasons why we miss out on more/all players around that level if we're not going to spend the money. It's hard to argue we're almost the last, if not the last (imo), Sydney club a player will sign for in our current state. I know that's hard to take in. You can lie to yourself all your like I'm just looking at what's in front of me. There are only two main reasons a deal will happen; 1: money, 2: current success.
It’s not hard to take in because I think it’s crap.

First of all there was this nonsense that DWZ chose the Dogs as his ‘last and only’ option. and yes, I’ve heard the unsubstantiated arguments that we were the only ones willing to let him play fullback.

But suddenly: he signs for a further two years - and yet our executives are so incompetent and not willing to spend money.

Perhaps there’s a strategy that you’re simply not aware of? I’m glad our club are not trumpeting our plans to our competitors just as you see with almost all clubs. It’s a tough marketplace and those ‘incompetent’ executives happen to understand that.

You might need a mirror to check who’s lying to themselves bud.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
No, I think the point went over your head.
You said the storm logic was not applicable. I’d prefer to recruit AND also develop our own players too
The storm logic isn’t applicable.

They have been blessed to have 3 immortals (one of the greatest players ever, if not 3) cheated the cap, have one of the best coach’s in the game and recruit very well both kids and first graders.

We have none of this.

If a player wants to join a team like that, they don’t consider us.

They play with smith and Bellamy. We don’t even get a sniff. That is the point.

So again, if your hanging your hat on oh the storm managed to develop 3 future immortals we can too. I believe we are all dead for hundreds of years before 3 immortals come through like that, are retained by illegally cheating the cap and built around with arguably the best coach in the business.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s not hard to take in because I think it’s crap.

First of all there was this nonsense that DWZ chose the Dogs as his ‘last and only’ option. and yes, I’ve heard the unsubstantiated arguments that we were the only ones willing to let him play fullback.

But suddenly: he signs for a further two years - and yet our executives are so incompetent and not willing to spend money.

Perhaps there’s a strategy that you’re simply not aware of? I’m glad our club are not trumpeting our plans to our competitors just as you see with almost all clubs. It’s a tough marketplace and those ‘incompetent’ executives happen to understand that.

You might need a mirror to check who’s lying to themselves bud.
I've said the whole time once they're at the club it isn't an issue. The problem is getting them to come here. ATTRACTING TALENT. We also don't know what DWZ is on.

Until I see or hear a reasonable recruitment strategy why would I change what I think? I can't think of another one that will make us competitive for 2021. I don't even see us being able to fill our salary cap without paying overs. The only thing I'll agree with is it's possible we'll find one-two value signings a year and they're going to be decent players not game changers.

I know exactly what the recruitment strategy is currently. Buy opportunist type players (reserves, bench) where we're the only club that can offer the opportunity and reject players that no other club wants or can fit in. We can't do that moving forward for the 100 reasons I've mentioned on these forums.

All you're saying to me is you don't want what I'm saying to happen but offering nothing that makes sense. You're not even arguing my points just saying they're wrong. Well done.

Last edited:

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm cooked because you don't want what I'm saying to happen? Offer something mate. Explain to me why we're not the last Sydney club a player will sign for. EVEN IF you somehow do for the Dragons or another club around that level (I'll disagree anyways) you're clutching at straws AND those clubs will pay overs. Good luck getting talent buddy.
You're cooked

MountMontoya

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I cant help but think if Latrell was white the media wouldnt be running him down like they are

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Your recipe for success:

1) Money
2) Current Success

Yes, maybe for greedy grub players and their managers.

Sure, everyone has to make a buck but I don’t want our club to be the one those players and their managers think they have over a barrel.

I applaud the club for not ‘paying overs’ (lovely term).

How do you build culture and a champion team by emptying the bank account to throw together a team of champions? Which more likely will be a team of ego-maniacs and it ends up blowing up in your face.

So mate, with respect, we disagree.
Cheers.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Roosters have less reason to pay overs for Mitchell than us. As I mention in my last post, what Mitchell could attract to the club may be worth the extra for us, but if Roosters lost Mitchell, they will still have influential players left like Tedesco. They will still be back to back premiers. We have no players or premierships like that currently as an attraction.

We need Mitchell's influence more than Roosters do, so should offer him more than they do is the main point.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I cant help but think if Latrell was white the media wouldnt be running him down like they are
This is a tall poppy syndrome thing, not a racial thing as much as people want it to be.

Ambrose

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What's the mindset of a guy walking (for the sake of a bit more money) from a team that will, very likely play in a GF next year. To a team that's battling for the 8? I think motivation and a state-of-mind will be a bigger factor when it comes to value for money. Dear god I hope he turns up if it does happen.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Your recipe for success:

1) Money
2) Current Success

Yes, maybe for greedy grub players and their managers.

Sure, everyone has to make a buck but I don’t want our club to be the one those players and their managers think they have over a barrel.

I applaud the club for not ‘paying overs’ (lovely term).

How do you build culture and a champion team by emptying the bank account to throw together a team of champions? Which more likely will be a team of ego-maniacs and it ends up blowing up in your face.

So mate, with respect, we disagree.
Cheers.
Not my recipe for success. My recipe for recruitment. To be successful you have to get to the end of the cycle (the players you've paid overs for contracts coming to an end) and being a top four team (or around that) and being able to recruit properly then like a top team. Unless we want a five-ten year rebuild (the board doesn't have the time) there isn't another option. Also nothing is guaranteed, including success.

"Yes, maybe for greedy grub players and their managers." So they want to go to a club that's going to be successful? Those are the only two incentives. We apparently can't offer them either. If you honestly think every player will lose their competitive drive just because they're on more money you're mistaken my friend.

Last edited: