Opinion Should Foran retire?

Should Foran retire before 2020?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
1) use some of Forans money to top up current offers to DWZ and co to get those new contracts over the line. Top up Latrell offer if needs be
2) full uninterrupted pre season and season with the current other three halves. Giving the club a good look at these guys to see if they really are the future or if we need to make a play for another more established halve
Fair points I have to say.

Risk either way you look at it if I'm honest. On his day Foran is spectacular and someone who really could lead us to a Premiership with the right players around him. He really is a good player.

If he were on 400,000 less then I doubt any of us would be seeing an issue, but he's no ... Taking a mill off our books would really help in other areas of keeping our current roster and maybe signing better players. How many times was he out last year? Can we honestly expect him to be any better next year? His body isn't getting any younger. There's no miracle cure for him.

It's a big risk either way though as our young players really aren't all the magnificent and if they don't fire then who'll come over to us in 2021?

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fair points I have to say.

Risk either way you look at it if I'm honest. On his day Foran is spectacular and someone who really could lead us to a Premiership with the right players around him. He really is a good player.

If he were on 400,000 less then I doubt any of us would be seeing an issue, but he's no ... Taking a mill off our books would really help in other areas of keeping our current roster and maybe signing better players. How many times was he out last year? Can we honestly expect him to be any better next year? His body isn't getting any younger. There's no miracle cure for him.

It's a big risk either way though as our young players really aren't all the magnificent and if they don't fire then who'll come over to us in 2021?
Id be pushing for him to retire and get him on the books as an assistant coach. He is respected by his peers and has a great footy brain.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully the back end of the season when we make a push for finals footy... Hopefully
I hope we are not waiting until the last 10 rounds to make a finals push again.
Might as well write off the season if we aren't positive win:loss by round 15.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep - key word: hope. What’s your better solution though?

We are zero chance of replacing him with any quality/experience to our squad for next season.

Surely it’s worth at least trying to get something out of him on the field. Worst case - his injury run continues and our young halves have a mentor/leader figure to aid their development.

We have absolutely nothing to gain at this point in time from retiring him.
Nothing to gain? So freeing up $1.2m this season if NRL approve medical retirement - AND lets remember that MRI scan results wont be known till Friday - is of no benefit? SO you dont think if we CAN medically retire him that we could then have a tilt at Cronulla to release Moylan or Johnson to us for next season to help their cap problem? Or front end some other players to free up more cap space for next year?

If he needs a total shoulder reconstruction its a new injury and he should be medically retired...taking into account his health and history of injuries.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok so simple question, Should Foran retire whether it's medically or just himself calling it a day ASAP?

We all know the he doesn't have to etc etc but let's see the stats on this.
It all depends on the extent of the injury
What we think is irrelevant the guy has a rich contract
I will throw a spanner in the works...
He will be out of action for 12 weeks or over...we will get $350k cap space.
We pay him $200k and release him.
Manly sign him for $500k
All Happy ever after !!!

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's his decision to make... not sure what the implications are.. I think he would still get paid out if he does... would be good to have him on coaching staff if he does...

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Ok so simple question, Should Foran retire whether it's medically or just himself calling it a day ASAP?

We all know the he doesn't have to etc etc but let's see the stats on this.
Not many players are going to voluntarily hand in their resignation when they have $2-$3m in contracted earnings in front of them.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
when a players only a day to day proposition, then they area liability to the team, doesnt matter if they are the best player in the world unless hes playing every week hes not worth having there and hoping hes fit to play

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Depends on the MRI scan and how long he will affect the 2020 roster.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he will do everything he can to get back on the park for us which is admirable and getting a full season out of him seems near impossible, his body just isn't up to it. I see another year of revolving halves combinations as Foran is in and out of the team. Bottom line, even if he gets through 3/4 of the season, NO way we extend his contract beyond next year. We must plan for 2021 and beyond without him in our plans. It's too unsettling to have our halves changed all the time. We either go with the young guys we have now or see who is on the market....Jackson Hastings anyone??

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
As others have said it’s sad as his heart is undeniable.

His body is also undeniably unable to handle nrl.

Sadly he has been a flop
Of a signing for us. Only because he can’t stay on the field.

As busted as he has been he still has the ability to be a winning player. Though at least half the year out for the past 3 years (if this injury is confirmed) is just not enough. Throw in the run at the eels.

He has to do right by us surely if this is a bad injury. Time to step back. Like gillett and Sburgess did.

It’s not just us either, it’s his own body and his family. He’s got tons of $ and will get paid somehow throughout this ordeal. He wants to be able to play with his kids I’m
Sure.

I don’t blame him
For playing for his country. His heart and competitiveness is there. His body just isn’t and hasn’t been for years.

Time to hang them up Foz. You won’t be thought less of, if anything you would be thought more of. I’ll always remember him as a ferocious competitor who would never hesitate to put his body on the line.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The club has the choice to be the Bulldogs or be Parra. Foran is a popular and admired player throughout the rugby league community, both for his skill and his demeanor. He is on record as wanting to play on. He got cut loose by Parra. The Bulldogs have so far supported him better than any club he has been at. Cutting him loose at this point sends the wrong message. It tells players and staff that they will get a raw deal with us. As a club that seeks to attract talent, especially young talent, that would be a major error. How to win hearts and minds? Don't be Parra!

Don't know the full story with Gillett and Surgess, but if they got shoved out it will get around and it will have an impact on the future ability of Broncs and Souffs to recruit. Continuing to support Foran will win the club a lot more kudos within the rugby league fraternity, and this will pay off in the long run.

Alternatively we can prove that within Belmore lies a heart of stone and just cut the guy loose. Let's be the Canterbury Eels, yaye...

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd like for him to call it a day l but I doubt he will. This is his final contracted chance to make massive money...

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Not many players are going to voluntarily hand in their resignation when they have $2-$3m in contracted earnings in front of them.
But he will get his money either way either through payout from the club or insurance if the NRL approve a medical retirement. He shouldn't be out of pocket at all plus we throw him life after footy with halves coaching or whatever. We are looking after him long term without the need to be a cripple. Just saving whatever little health of his body that is left and freeing up 1.2 mil of our cap.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
The club has the choice to be the Bulldogs or be Parra. Foran is a popular and admired player throughout the rugby league community, both for his skill and his demeanor. He is on record as wanting to play on. He got cut loose by Parra. The Bulldogs have so far supported him better than any club he has been at. Cutting him loose at this point sends the wrong message. It tells players and staff that they will get a raw deal with us. As a club that seeks to attract talent, especially young talent, that would be a major error. How to win hearts and minds? Don't be Parra!

Don't know the full story with Gillett and Surgess, but if they got shoved out it will get around and it will have an impact on the future ability of Broncs and Souffs to recruit. Continuing to support Foran will win the club a lot more kudos within the rugby league fraternity, and this will pay off in the long run.

Alternatively we can prove that within Belmore lies a heart of stone and just cut the guy loose. Let's be the Canterbury Eels, yaye...
Sorry mate I get what your trying to portray but it’s just not accurate nor means sweet fuck all.

Let’s look it the other way. We cut Des within a few months of a new deal and one year of
Missing the 8.

We shafted two previous captains in ennis and graham. A long list of others too. Mbye woods morris bros etc.

I’m not for one second saying all of them where wrong simply stating that we have done this and the cap and horrible contracts they where on etc played a role though it was still done.

Otherside bagging the eels for Foran side looks the right move really. He’s been a good player on the field but the 4 years since how many games has he missed? Half?

Meanwhile the eels just made the 8 and are signing guys like Ferguson, Paulo and mentioned in the race for matterson right now.

Recruited gutherson and moses too mind you.

All walk into our squad.

I mean really we aren’t some charity club. We are paying these blokes to win footy games and titles. When your best and most expensive player for 3 years in row (every year he’s here) is out so long it’s time to stop and think. For all involved surely.

Business is business. I personally hope Foran puts his health, family and future ahead of his last 12 months on big $ no one will touch him on a third of this moving forward. His body won’t handle it and hopefully he’s honest with himself. He will get paid out either way here. I just hope he does right thing by the club cause we have for him and his family.

I’d also love him in the halves coaching.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
But he will get his money either way either through payout from the club or insurance if the NRL approve a medical retirement. He shouldn't be out of pocket at all plus we throw him life after footy with halves coaching or whatever. We are looking after him long term without the need to be a cripple. Just saving whatever little health of his body that is left and freeing up 1.2 mil of our cap.
My best guess is that for most NRL players, particularly those that have been around as long as Foran has, the value isn't just in the pay cheque.

Their entire lives are now based around the life of a footy star including the routine that training and games bring and the fame and respect that comes with it.

I doubt anyone really wants to give that up.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate without him we lose 5 or 6 games last season, passenger maybe health wise but not on toughness and ability to win us games..
This is how it starts to go when someone doesn't do the right thing and and refuses to stand aside and takes up a spot they can't fill anymore. How people look at Foran will continue to get worse! He has been a massively paid passenger for coming up to a third year. Guarantee you people at the club will be thinking the same thing. No-one would ever say it of course but their thinking it.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough decision ahead for Bulldogs

The Bulldogs have been debating the merits of Des Hasler’s decision to sign his old mate Kieran Foran since the playmaker was handed a rich deal with the club at the start of 2018.

Now the Bulldogs have a tough decision to make - whether to attempt to retire Foran on medical grounds after he suffered another major shoulder injury in the Kiwis’ Test against Great Britain last weekend.

If Foran needs to undergo a reconstruction, he will miss at least half of next season - and the fact he is one of the highest paid players on the club’s roster is also a major factor.

Foran had a reconstruction on the same shoulder in 2016 and in the past four seasons has averaged just 13 games a year.

The Bulldogs have come up with a fine young playmaker in Lachlan Lewis while Jack Cogger also looked the goods as last season developed.

It will be an interesting week at Belmore as the 29-year-old Foran meets with the club’s medical and coaching staff to decide his future.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

The Bulldogs have been debating the merits of Des Hasler’s decision to sign his old mate Kieran Foran since the playmaker was handed a rich deal with the club at the start of 2018.

Now the Bulldogs have a tough decision to make - whether to attempt to retire Foran on medical grounds after he suffered another major shoulder injury in the Kiwis’ Test against Great Britain last weekend.

If Foran needs to undergo a reconstruction, he will miss at least half of next season - and the fact he is one of the highest paid players on the club’s roster is also a major factor.

Foran had a reconstruction on the same shoulder in 2016 and in the past four seasons has averaged just 13 games a year.

The Bulldogs have come up with a fine young playmaker in Lachlan Lewis while Jack Cogger also looked the goods as last season developed.

It will be an interesting week at Belmore as the 29-year-old Foran meets with the club’s medical and coaching staff to decide his future.
Interesting week ahead it seems. Some tough discussions for all.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score

Sanity must surely prevail finally at the Bulldogs?