• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
No.

What’s the point of retiring him now with 1 year on his contract? Even if we did get cap dispensation through a medical retirement, it’s too late now to find any sort of quality replacement.

It’s a signing that should never have happened in the first place but at this point we’re stuck with him.

Let’s get him right for round 1 and pray to god he can stay on the field for at least 75% of the season. If we can get some decent footy out of him then we’re a big chance of playing finals footy.
We’re a better chance of playing finals if we just pick Wakeham and Lewis and play Foran in reggies til he breaks down again.... this business of him coming into the team for 5-6 games then breaking down is a massive disruption to us building combinations and to team continuity.

Enough is enough. Foran should not play another minute of first grade for this club - retirement or not.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yep - key word: hope. What’s your better solution though?

We are zero chance of replacing him with any quality/experience to our squad for next season.

Surely it’s worth at least trying to get something out of him on the field. Worst case - his injury run continues and our young halves have a mentor/leader figure to aid their development.

We have absolutely nothing to gain at this point in time from retiring him.
Thsts not really true anyway.... mid season releases are commonplace these days. If we free up money now, we may be able to snag a bargain buy or two through the year.

We have more to lose than to gain by playing him in first grade next year.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Thsts not really true anyway.... mid season releases are commonplace these days. If we free up money now, we may be able to snag a bargain buy or two through the year.

We have more to lose than to gain by playing him in first grade next year.
Mid season releases of club dregs is commonplace. I don’t see much sense in keeping 1M under the cap in the hope that a gun player or 2 emerges from July 1.

Outside of DWZ, the last few mid season acquisitions that I can recall were Chris Smith, Asipeli Fine and Lamar Liolevave

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Mid season releases of club dregs is commonplace. I don’t see much sense in keeping 1M under the cap in the hope that a gun player or 2 emerges from July 1.

Outside of DWZ, the last few mid season acquisitions that I can recall were Chris Smith, Asipeli Fine and Lamar Liolevave
DWZ was s pretty bloody good pick up though, don’t you think? Certainly not a “dreg”.

And you’re only talking about our pick ups.... I’m sure you’d find other clubs have made some good ones.

It’s probably a moot point, as the stubborn fool won’t retire anyway.... but he should not see first grade again. We finished the season very well without him and he is a massive disruption to us building combinations.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
DWZ was s pretty bloody good pick up though, don’t you think? Certainly not a “dreg”.

And you’re only talking about our pick ups.... I’m sure you’d find other clubs have made some good ones.

It’s probably a moot point, as the stubborn fool won’t retire anyway.... but he should not see first grade again. We finished the season very well without him and he is a massive disruption to us building combinations.
90% are dregs. Go look through them year by year. Certainly not worth withholding 15% of your overall cap space in hope of finding high quality recruits mid season.

Finished the season well without him? He played the last 6 games and we won 5 of them.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
90% are dregs. Go look through them year by year. Certainly not worth withholding 15% of your overall cap space in hope of finding high quality recruits mid season.

Finished the season well without him? He played the last 6 games and we won 5 of them.
So he did.... my mistake.... but he got injured in the 6th of those games.. 6 games is probably about his average number of games between injuries these days.... you can not tell me it is good for our prospects to have a bloke in the side who plays six games, gets hurt then misses an extended period. It’s happened with way too much regularity.... he’s not part of our future and we are probably still a season away from genuinely competing for a title anyway. We’re better off cutting our losses and just playing wakeham, who looks to be a very good prospect for the future.

It’s also worth noting that st other periods throughout the season when Foran posted, we were nowhere near as successful, so our success at the end of the year certainly can’t be attributed solely to him. No doubt his experience helps us when he’s got, but he’s injured way too frequently for us to be depending on him.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So he did.... my mistake.... but he got injured in the 6th of those games.. 6 games is probably about his average number of games between injuries these days.... you can not tell me it is good for our prospects to have a bloke in the side who plays six games, gets hurt then misses an extended period. It’s happened with way too much regularity.... he’s not part of our future and we are probably still a season away from genuinely competing for a title anyway. We’re better off cutting our losses and just playing wakeham, who looks to be a very good prospect for the future.

It’s also worth noting that st other periods throughout the season when Foran posted, we were nowhere near as successful, so our success at the end of the year certainly can’t be attributed solely to him. No doubt his experience helps us when he’s got, but he’s injured way too frequently for us to be depending on him.
We’re a better team when he’s in it. You can’t argue that. Our strike rate was around 60% overall last season when he played. If we’d won even 50% across the season that would’ve been enough to play finals.

As far as I’m concerned we’ve got nothing to gain at this point in time from retiring him. Let’s get him right for Round 1 and hope for the best thereafter.

Other thing is I keep hearing from this fan base how critical they believe it is to start the season well next year. Yet we’ve got much of the fan base in favour of pissing off Foran early and running with an unproven 20 year old halfback in round 1. If that was to happen - I can’t see us getting off to the flyer everyone wants. Then the same old crew will be out for poor old Deano’s head as a result. Can’t win with the majority of this fan base.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
at 1.2 million a season i would rather get someone who isnt a walking cripple that sits on the sideline all year every year

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We’re a better team when he’s in it. You can’t argue that. Our strike rate was around 60% overall last season when he played. If we’d won even 50% across the season that would’ve been enough to play finals.

As far as I’m concerned we’ve got nothing to gain at this point in time from retiring him. Let’s get him right for Round 1 and hope for the best thereafter.

Other thing is I keep hearing from this fan base how critical they believe it is to start the season well next year. Yet we’ve got much of the fan base in favour of pissing off Foran early and running with an unproven 20 year old halfback in round 1. If that was to happen - I can’t see us getting off to the flyer everyone wants. Then the same old crew will be out for poor old Deano’s head as a result. Can’t win with the majority of this fan base.
I’m willing to show Pay plenty of patience, but I’m completely out of patience with Foran. What is the point of starting the season well if Foran is just going to get injured 5 or 6 games in, forcing us to throw a young player in at the deep end? We’re better off throwing that young guy in from the deep end from the start even if it takes us a few rounds to start clicking.

Foran is just not up to a full season of first grade from a physical point of view..... and that 60 percent win rate doesn’t look half as good if you don’t count those last six rounds ...and there were a number of factors contributing to our success in those late rounds. Yes, he’s an asset when fit, but it’s abundantly clear his body can’t handle the rigours of a full season of first grade..... so he’s not worth it.

I don’t think he adds enough to the team to justify the lack of continuity his frequent injuries cost us. Truly I don’t.

Last edited:

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m willing to show Pay plenty of patience, but I’m completely out of patience with Foran. What is the point of starting the season well if Foran is just going to get injured 5 or 6 games in, forcing us to throw a young player in at the deep end? We’re better off throwing that young guy in from the deep end from the start even if it takes us a few rounds to start clicking.

Foran is just not up to a full season of first grade from a physical point of view..... and that 60 percent win rate doesn’t look half as good if you don’t count those last six rounds ...and there were a number of factors contributing to our success in those late rounds. Yes, he’s an asset when fit, but it’s abundantly clear his body can’t handle the rigours of a full season of first grade..... so he’s not worth it.

I don’t think he adds enough to the team to justify the lack of continuity his drew
Isn’t injuries cost us. Truly I don’t.
I’d agree with you if this scenario presented itself 6-12 months ago. But I just don’t see anything to gain from retiring him now, more than 2 years into a 3 year deal. With no viable replacement available.

End of the day we’re just paying the price for the most ludicrous signing of this clubs history. Thanks again to Ray, Des and Raelene.

Let’s just hope for some luck with Foz and his injuries next year.

Banned
Reaction score
Whilst I acknowledge his talent and resolve, I personally feel he has not demonstrated respect to our club, nor his teammates.
Thus there's the question, why should his selfishness be rewarded with a coaching role post career?
If he isn't a team player, he does not belong in any role as a part of the team and Kieran needs to realise that his selfish arrogance is only damaging prospective post playing career options.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Other thing is I keep hearing from this fan base how critical they believe it is to start the season well next year. Yet we’ve got much of the fan base in favour of pissing off Foran early and running with an unproven 20 year old halfback in round 1. If that was to happen - I can’t see us getting off to the flyer everyone wants. Then the same old crew will be out for poor old Deano’s head. Can’t win with the majority of this fan base.
Hoping for the best wont see us competitive next year. The truth is Forans postion in the team for the last 2 years has been reserved for him for whenever he is fit. Thats a fact. Where talking first grade NRL. We need consistent halfs to be a consistent footy team.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Whilst I acknowledge his talent and resolve, I personally feel he has not demonstrated respect to our club, nor his teammates.
Thus there's the question, why should his selfishness be rewarded with a coaching role post career?
If he isn't a team player, he does not belong in any role as a part of the team and Kieran needs to realise that his selfish arrogance is only damaging prospective post playing career options.
Easily one of the worst and most misguided takes on this situation I’ve ever seen.

Should’ve run with this to club officials and players when you did the facilities tour. Would’ve gone down a treat

Last edited:

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoping for the best wont see us competitive next year. The truth is Forans postion in the team for the last 2 years has been reserved for him for whenever he is fit. Thats a fact. Where talking first grade NRL. We need consistent halfs to be a consistent footy team.
That’s the hand we’ve unfortunately been forced to play since signing him on unbelievable overs.

No other club in their right mind would’ve taken him off our hands for any more than 750-800k. So offloading him to another club was never an option. We’ve gotta play him and get some value out of him when fit.

Interested to hear what your alternative solution would be in order to be as competitive as possible given the reality of the circumstances?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s the hand we’ve unfortunately been forced to play since signing him on unbelievable overs.

No other club in their right mind would’ve taken him off our hands for any more than 750-800k. So offloading him to another club was never an option. We’ve gotta play him and get some value out of him when fit.

Interested to hear what your alternative solution would be in order to be as competitive as possible given the reality of the circumstances?
I just dont see the point of taking your car to the drags when you know the diffs fucked just because you payed 5 million dollars for it. Are you apposed to playing Wakeman?

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only hope I have for Foran is no hope. At least we'll get a good look at Wakeham at some point next year while we pay Foran to sit down.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Retire him medically and give him a job in some department at the club he is injury prone his body is shot
After this year he won’t get offered any more then 200k to play

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1) use some of Forans money to top up current offers to DWZ and co to get those new contracts over the line. Top up Latrell offer if needs be
2) full uninterrupted pre season and season with the current other three halves. Giving the club a good look at these guys to see if they really are the future or if we need to make a play for another more established halve

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Easily one of the worst and most misguided takes on this situation I’ve ever seen.

Should’ve run with this to club officials and players when you did the facilities tour. Would’ve gone down a treat
This is how it starts to go when someone doesn't do the right thing and and refuses to stand aside and takes up a spot they can't fill anymore. How people look at Foran will continue to get worse! He has been a massively paid passenger for coming up to a third year. Guarantee you people at the club will be thinking the same thing. No-one would ever say it of course but their thinking it.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here........We will resign him at half the cost and will be invaluable for our young players........