Opinion Call for Calm re: Wakeham (Caution: unpopular opinion)

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elliott isn't the issue. We have to pick two (maybe even one) out of Lewis, Cogger and Wakeham.
IMO, prioritising Elliott is a big issue. Not too many other clubs would be chasing him and there are heaps of 2nd rowers available.

But good young halves are nowhere near as plentiful.

If we can’t keep all three, Wakeham isn’t the third choice, surely

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im just hoping that Dean Pay changes his ways and let both halves roam across both sides of the field like Wakeham is doing today with Fiji.
Its just absolute bullshit restricting the halves on one side of the field.
Its too predictable!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cogger is better than Wakeham. But Wakeham is better than Lewis.
Cogger and Wakeham should be our halves pairing when foz goes.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cogger is better than Wakeham. But Wakeham is better than Lewis.
Cogger and Wakeham should be our halves pairing when foz goes.
but Lewis is better then Cogger?

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham's involvement level was impressive.

I haven't seen Averillo in action but Cogger/Wakeham is promising

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it’s way too early to say any of the players we currently have are going to be the long term halves going forward. Lewis and Cogger are coming to that make or break time where they have to start dominating regularly at NRL level. If I was going to take a punt at who our halves are in 3-4 years time I don’t think either of them will be there.

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Averillo/Wakeham

Mark my words.
I think that’s what the club had envisioned. Watching Averillo playing in the halves is fucking exciting. His attack is brilliant but his defence is just as good, great technique. To me that’s a well balanced halves pairing. Wakeham the controlling half and Averillo the running half, both can ball play.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think that’s what the club had envisioned. Watching Averillo playing in the halves is fucking exciting. His attack is brilliant but his defence is just as good, great technique. To me that’s a well balanced halves pairing. Wakeham the controlling half and Averillo the running half, both can ball play.
I've only seen him play the few games at centre in reserves and he slotted in easy and looked very impressive. I'd seriously consider throwing him in there at NRL level this season just to get him into the NRL side and get the experience and then look at transitioning him back into the halves.

Either way both him and Wakeham bring exactly what we're lacking in our squad, a genuine ball runner with pace and footwork and a genuine half that can ball play. We can't piss around with the likes of Lewis and Cogger if they're not making progress next season because we have these blokes with genuine raw ability that we need and they need to be given the opportunity.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely now the club will abandon any thought of re-signing Foran

ajay78

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
CHN was on the end of a similar pass from Wakeham against shakes. He could see more next year if Wakeham plays 1st
CHN would love to be on the end of those Wakeham passes. Pay needs to let Wakeham run the show. The guy is class. Anyone who can't see how mature and ready he is to be our No.7 will be lamenting when another coach grabs him.