Opinion Call for Calm re: Wakeham (Caution: unpopular opinion)

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
His try assists mostly come through his passing game and didn't he have a high stat in the juniors for his kicking game?

Yet we get bullshit about his "footwork" being the only positive aspect to his game from the OP

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People forget Wakeham didnt have a full preseason after getting injured then 12 weeks out after the operation.
Everyone needs to cut the young 20 yr old some slack.
For sure and another thing is people don't have any middle ground when it comes to players entering NRL they are either written off or the next Thurston.

Look at players like Shifty and Polly they never lit up reserves or came into NRL and tore it up but they had great careers.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it's not going to cost much to retain him... we could have something special on our hands, or maybe he will only play 20 odd games.. Most of us are just saying we should retain him, it's not like we're sitting here saying we should sign him up for 50 years on a trillion dollars a season

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
His try assists mostly come through his passing game and didn't he have a high stat in the juniors for his kicking game?

Yet we get bullshit about his "footwork" being the only positive aspect to his game from the OP
I don't know about exact stats from juniors but his passing game n kicking game - decision making - were / are real strengths - hasn't been noted for footwork.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham with the kicking duties for Fiji right now and playing it smart

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright boys,

Time to address something that has been bubbling along here for a while and needs to be settled.

I speak of the Wakeham-hype.

I’ve seen it time and time again on here where a player of Polynesian/Islander descent displays a bit of fancy footwork in the lower grades or against mediocre international opposition, and a signature Kennel circle jerk emerges. For example - Aaron Groom, Faamanu Brown (who according to some vocal Kennellers was the best hooker/half at the club 6 months ago) etc.

Unfortunately I can already foresee ridiculous rage on here when Pay (rightly) selects Cogger, Lewis and maybe even Averillo ahead of him. Those aforementioned 3 are all far better rounded halves than Wakeham who from what I’ve seen lacks a solid kicking game, and is a real target in defence.

Last year he had a good game for Fiji against PNG (QCup standard), and danced around Darius Boyd for a try at Suncorp (My grandmother could do this).
Cool.

Cogger is a far superior halfback and will correctly be named as our halfback Post-Foran/in his absence.

If I’m to make a prediction - Wakeham will play less than 50 NRL games in his career. Bookmark this thread.
You have no idea Wakeman is more talented then Cogger and Lewis combined the only thing Lewis has and has got on most halfs is his defence and your righting him off after 3 games of NRL he should be starting along with Foran come round 1 if your watching the Fiji game now you see why he is highly rated

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
This fixture is a very ordinary form guide. Aaron Groom carved up the Samoans a few years ago.

I can also report with authority that half the Samoans were out on the drink in Auckland last night

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This fixture is a very ordinary form guide. Aaron Groom carved up the Samoans a few years ago.

I can also report with authority that half the Samoans were out on the drink in Auckland last night
I'm still yet to see this fancy footwork from wakeham

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wakeham is killing it against Samoa right now and his Goalkicking is slick asf.