$1.7m to splash: Wests Tigers build war chest after releasing Ryan Matterson and retiring Ben Matuli

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
$1.7m to splash: Wests Tigers build war chest after releasing Ryan Matterson and retiring Ben Matulino
WESTS TIGERS

Ben Matulino will be medically retired and Ryan Matterson released from the Wests Tigers.Source: FOX SPORTS
The Wests Tigers will have a $1.7 million war chest for next season with the NRL approving the medical retirement of Kiwi international Ben Matulino and the club agreeing to release Ryan Matterson effective immediately.

In a huge coup for the Tigers, the club will have $1.7 million to spend on improving their roster for premiership-winning coach Michael Maguire next year.

Trbojevic brothers to re-sign

0:35
The timing is perfect with November 1 ticking over on Friday and players off contract for 2021 all free agents.

The Matterson issue has been resolved with the Tigers agreeing to cut ties after being unable to negotiate any player trades with rival NRL clubs.

TURBO DEAL: Star siblings about to sign $10 million Manly extension

NO RUSH: Broncos not in a hurry to re-sign Fifita, but admit they underestimated him

BITE BACK: ASADA boss responds to Gallen’s ‘amateurish’ sledge

RETURNING: Ex-Sharks trainer returns to club role for first time since ASADA scandal

The Parramatta Eels have also tabled an three-year $1.6 million deal for Matterson in the last 24 hours with the club hopeful of landing his signature.

Gillett emotionally retires

16:16
Matulino had 12-months to run on a deal worth almost $800,000-per-season signed under previous coach Ivan Cleary.

The NRL has been reviewing his case to be medically retired for more than a month and has recently approved it.

“On behalf of all at the club, I’d like to firstly congratulate Ben on what has been a superb career in the NRL,” Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said of Matulino.

“He has been a wonderful player for over a decade and has continued to give his all for his sport, teammates and respective clubs.

“Ben is a terrific family man and it has been a real pleasure to have him be part of this club.

“We all understand his decision to retire as a result of his injury, and we wish him, his wife Courtenay and his young family all the very best in the future.”

Farewell Slammin' Sam Burgess

0:48
The move means the Tigers get almost $800,000 back in their salary cap for next year.

Coupled with Matterson’s money and the release of Kiwi Test centre Esan Masters to the North Queensland Cowboys and for the first time since ex-coach Cleary signed at the club the Tigers have money in their salary cap.

The Tigers are targeting Gold Coast duo Jai Arrow and AJ Brimson and are also in talks with Dragons backrower Luciano Leilua.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
When did salary cap space from expiring contracts all of sudden get called a war chest? Everyone seems to have one these days!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look for the oldest has-beens who are off-contract and you'll know who they will be targeting

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone parra isnt chasing despite already having a good team

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wasn't aware Matulino had medical issues. Bit of a shame really. But it seems like plenty of clubs are scrambling to clear up roster space.

Banned
Reaction score
Notice how absolutely nil clubs are chasing our 17 or so off contract?

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Matterson for 500k a year or so is a great signing for any club.
Problem is the lowlife worm will sign somewhere for 500k per season, then want more than that and kick stones around the club and sook until he gets another release. Hope his treachery returns to bite him on the arse the greedy, slimy prick.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As an afterthought. Matterson and Matulino may leave the club. But how much are these two being paid. With Matterson reportedly leaving due to being on too little money. My first thought is that the author of the article is just pulling figures out of his ass. But if the figure mentioned is correct (doubtful) it must mean Matulino is earning in excess of a million per season. The more likely scenario is that the media is full of crap and trying to ensure they are stirring up interest within the supporters of league to sell stories through the off season.

I just bought a kg of salt but I'm afraid I don't have enough to last through the pile of articles about what clubs have to spend if I take them all with a grain of salt.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look for the oldest has-beens who are off-contract and you'll know who they will be targeting
Paul Gallen out of retirement to the Tiggers

Problem is the lowlife worm will sign somewhere for 500k per season, then want more than that and kick stones around the club and sook until he gets another release. Hope his treachery returns to bite him on the arse the greedy, slimy prick.
Agreed, he has shown his true colours. Poor form, just like Klemmer.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an afterthought. Matterson and Matulino may leave the club. But how much are these two being paid. With Matterson reportedly leaving due to being on too little money. My first thought is that the author of the article is just pulling figures out of his ass. But if the figure mentioned is correct (doubtful) it must mean Matulino is earning in excess of a million per season. The more likely scenario is that the media is full of crap and trying to ensure they are stirring up interest within the supporters of league to sell stories through the off season.

I just bought a kg of salt but I'm afraid I don't have enough to last through the pile of articles about what clubs have to spend if I take them all with a grain of salt.

Ben was getting paid $800k Ryan was getting 350 and they also released masters who was on around $550k so kinda adds up.

I hope we upgrade dwz to a long term deal since he can be approached now and MM has him in camp with him as we speck.

I was always sceptical about the length of deal he signed for.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Fuck this **** likes saying war chest

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben was getting paid $800k Ryan was getting 350 and they also released masters who was on around $550k so kinda adds up.

I hope we upgrade dwz to a long term deal since he can be approached now and MM has him in camp with him as we speck.

I was always sceptical about the length of deal he signed for.
I believe he wanted to sign for longer but we wanted to work out our full salary cap position for 2021 first.