Who should we sign from what's left for 2021

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Radradra totally unaffordable after the rugby World Cup. (probably chasing 2M a season now) Manu re-signed by Chooks. Corey Oates re-signed. Looks like the Turbo bros are about to re-sign, maybe Fifita also now that Gillett will be medically retired. Parra are reportedly going to offer Mitchell 1.1M per year for 10 years which I doubt the Dogs would be prepared to match now. Souths targeting Frizell and possibly Fifita. If we miss out on the Turbos, Mitchell and Fifita who would be your "priority" signings.

For our starting 13 for 2021 we really need 2 backs including a centre to replace Holland (and upgrade fullback if we move DWZ to the wing) plus a forward to replace an ageing Tolman

We should pursue at least 2 of those below

Ryan Papenhuyzen*
Jack Wighton*
Suliasi Vunivalu
Jesse Ramien

Plus 1 or 2 of

Martin Taupau*
John Bateman
Siosiva Taukeiaho
Tino Fa'asuamaleaui
Harry Grant*
JWH

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Assuming we signed Latrell for Fullback

Out of that list

Vunivalu
Wighton

Grant
Taukeiaho

I think DWZ will be wasted at Centre so possibly Ramien instead of Vunivalu.

Assuming we didn't sign Latrell

Papenhuyzen
Vunivalu (same as above, possibly Ramien)

Grant
Taukeiaho

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming we signed Latrell for Fullback

Out of that list

Vunivalu
Wighton

Grant
Taukeiaho

I think DWZ will be wasted at Centre so possibly Ramien instead of Vunivalu.

Assuming we didn't sign Latrell

Papenhuyzen
Vunivalu (same as above, possibly Ramien)

Grant
Taukeiaho
If we sign Mitchell I'd go

Latrell Mitchell
Jack Wighton
Harry Grant
Martin Taupau / JWH (think we need a big body)

or without Mitchell

Papenhuyzen
Wighton
Grant
JWH / Taupau

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan Papenhuyzen* already extended 2022

Jack Wighton* want over 1 million his player option was already 900k

Suliasi Vunivalu going to union

Jesse Ramien already sign 3 year sharks

Plus 1 or 2 of

Martin Taupau* will be 31 by then

John Bateman extended I think 2022
Siosiva Taukeiaho meh

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui could be great like PH or could like Carlos flinga (he change his like dozen times)

Harry Grant* look goods

JWH much action of the side line by then.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Plus 1 or 2 of

Siosiva Taukeiaho meh

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui could be great like PH or could like Carlos flinga (he change his like dozen times)

Harry Grant* look goods

Yes Wighton not worth more than 900K plus I think he's a late bloomer. Isn't he like 27yo ? Is Ramien definitely signed. I though he was waiting for the Sharks to try and free up space. Yes Taupau a little over it by then and JWH. I'd take both of them for a couple of years if we could get them NOW. Bateman is willing to break his contract apparently for a better deal

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
1. DWZ (lack of ball playing still irks me though)
2. Smith
3. Hopoate
4. Mitchell
5. Addo-Carr
6. Lewis/Wakeham
7. Cogger
Would be nice

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dont we have a thread for all these player suggestions, hopefully Mr I is back soon to clean it up.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We shouldn't rush anything. We have good juniors coming through and shouldn't buy a star player simply for the sake of doing so.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score

Plus 1 or 2 of

Siosiva Taukeiaho meh

Harry Grant* look goods

Siosiua Taukeiaho meh ? you saying that cause you don't think we need him or you don't rate him cause they guy is an absolute unit and would walk into our starting line up injured

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. DWZ (lack of ball playing still irks me though)
2. Smith
3. Hopoate
4. Mitchell
5. Addo-Carr
6. Lewis/Wakeham
7. Cogger
Would be nice
Yes a good team but like you say DWZ lacks ball playing skills and for 1M a season surely to get our money's worth Mitchell would have to play fullback
DWZ could probably be a decent centre but that position would negate his best feature - kick returns at a hundred miles an hour. If he plays wing we could still get that benefit on his side of the field at least. Seems DWZ doesn't like playing wing though. I wonder if he'd be any happier at centre. Would be ideal for our team though with Mitchell at fullback, DWZ on the wing and we bring in another great centre but none really available (only Ramien maybe, Cotric or Leilua). Addo-Carr definitely worth having on the wing rather than having any of those centres. Imagine Mitchell returning kicks from fullback with Addo-Carr in support on one side and Smith on the other.

I'd be sad to see Meaney leave but he would want to move on. We could also shed Okunbor but keep Harper and Averillo as backups

We still need Foran also. He's our best attacking player.

Mitchell
Smith
Hopoate
DWZ
Addo-Carr
Foran
Cogger / Lewis

OR

Mitchell
DWZ
Hopoate
Ramien / Cotric
Smith
Foran
Cogger / Lewis

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yes a good team but like you say DWZ lacks ball playing skills and for 1M a season surely to get our money's worth Mitchell would have to play fullback
DWZ could probably be a decent centre but that position would negate his best feature - kick returns at a hundred miles an hour. If he plays wing we could still get that benefit on his side of the field at least. Seems DWZ doesn't like playing wing though. I wonder if he'd be any happier at centre. Would be ideal for our team though with Mitchell at fullback, DWZ on the wing and we bring in another great centre but none really available (only Ramien maybe, Cotric or Leilua). Addo-Carr definitely worth having on the wing rather than having any of those centres. Imagine Mitchell returning kicks from fullback with Addo-Carr in support on one side and Smith on the other.

I'd be sad to see Meaney leave but he would want to move on. We could also shed Okunbor but keep Harper and Averillo as backups

We still need Foran also. He's our best attacking player.

Mitchell
Smith
Hopoate
DWZ
Addo-Carr
Foran
Cogger / Lewis

OR

Mitchell
DWZ
Hopoate
Ramien / Cotric
Smith
Foran
Cogger / Lewis
I don't see us getting Addo-Carr or Cotric just a dream lol. However over time I would love to see Meaney develop into our fullback just ATM DWZ is better for the team. In saying that though Meaney outside Latrell wouldn't be bad either tbh. I can't get on the Mitchell at fullback though

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't see us getting Addo-Carr or Cotric just a dream lol. However over time I would love to see Meaney develop into our fullback just ATM DWZ is better for the team. In saying that though Meaney outside Latrell wouldn't be bad either tbh. I can't get on the Mitchell at fullback though
Meaney's not going to get a chance at Fullback with DWZ. If DWZ isn't Fullback then we're signing someone to play there and he's third in the pecking order. If Meaney's third in the pecking order and not starting on the Wing (probably the scenario in 2021) I don't see him being here. We've also resigned Okunbor so he has to come into the equation soon too...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Meaney's not going to get a chance at Fullback with DWZ. If DWZ isn't Fullback then we're signing someone to play there and he's third in the pecking order. If Meaney's third in the pecking order and not starting on the Wing (probably the scenario in 2021) I don't see him being here. We've also resigned Okunbor so he has to come into the equation soon too...
That may be the case now. But we still keep DWZ biggest strength even if he's wing. Meaneys development as a 1 hinges on Pay... I think he has a higher ceiling than DWZ at the back, but he won't ever improve there if Pay keeps him on the wing, so Cup may be the best option ATM until he gains mass and works on hiss passing game. I'd say there would be plenty of clubs interested in picking him up if he was ever available

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The board has to make good decisions and not rush for the sake of getting a signing.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol. You put non Bulldogs threads in Bulldogs discussion and Bulldogs related threads in Rugby League general. FFS mate it isn’t rocket science.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Possible targets incl but aren’t limited to;

Fifita
Takiaho
Aj brimson
Tommy Flegler
Cam Murray
Harry grant
Munster
Hayze perham
Ben Murdoch massila

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over it....they can stick their 8 million war chest up their arse..no one of the marquee quality will come here, same goes for a major sponsor, think we are in trouble ....sack the lot of them at board level