Official Brisbane Broncos strike a blow with retention of Kotoni Staggs

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Broncos strike centre Kotoni Staggs has turned down a number of lucrative offers from rival NRL clubs to remain at Red Hill until the end of the 2022 season.

Staggs on Tuesday celebrated his 21st birthday in New Zealand with his Tongan international teammates ahead of their blockbuster Test match with Australia on Saturday night.

The Courier-Mail understands the exciting young prospect has this week chosen to extend his contract with the Broncos by another two years after already committing for the 2020 season.

The try-scoring powerhouse won the Broncos’ Best Back Award following a stellar 2019 season that saw him cross for 11 tries in 24 games, run nearly 100 metres a game, and make 73 tackle breaks.

His contract extension could see him become a 100-game Bronco following his debut in 2018 against the Roosters.

Staggs started last season with the aim of locking down a spot in the Broncos’ best 17 players, but his work ethic and aggression quickly marked him as a player on a rapid rise.

“I set my goal at the start of the year that I wanted to be in the top 17,” Staggs said at the Broncos Presentation Ball earlier this month.

“So to be able to get the starting spot and for (coach Anthony Seibold) to be able to rely on me, I’m grateful for that.

“I come to training and I compete every day and I just love the boys and I couldn’t do it without them.”

Staggs’ re-signing comes as the Broncos begin to ramp up their retention plan with star winger Corey Oates on Monday signing a 12-month extension, with an option in his favour to play until 2022.

The club is also close to locking down club veteran Alex Glenn who will become a “free agent” on Friday because of the November 1 deadline.

Brisbane also face an impending battle to retain boom rookie David Fifita who will also be free to negotiate with rival clubs on Friday.

The Warriors, Roosters and Rabbitohs have each expressed interest in the 19-year-old, with offers being prepared as high as a million dollars a season.

The Broncos are confident they will be able to hold onto the barnstorming backrower as he weighs up his future at Red Hill.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/761b0cdf50aff88c156016ffcbfd0725

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sombrero is starting to stretch...

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
$1,000,000 for a rookie centre? Only the Roosters salary cap would've had that kind of room!

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL.
This competition is a joke.
Why dont they just say they re-signed the whole team on upgraded contracts and then had some money left to buy a half.
What a joke.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LOL.
This competition is a joke.
Why dont they just say they re-signed the whole team on upgraded contracts and then had some money left to buy a half.
What a joke.
I honestly think they have taken over the Sombrero mantle. If they can afford Fifita on top of all this that is.
3-4 blokes on/near a mil
5-6 blokes 500-750k
rest of 17 300-500k
huge guess but wouldn't be far off.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly think they have taken over the Sombrero mantle. If they can afford Fifita on top of all this that is.
3-4 blokes on/near a mil
5-6 blokes 500-750k
rest of 17 300-500k
huge guess but wouldn't be far off.
They’ll also be able to upgrade Haas soon as $500k/season is an absolute steal and he won’t stay on that for too much longer

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Broncos partly owned by news Corp (channel 9, Murdoch) do the maths they are up there dodgy like roosters. But still failing despite best draw and game turn arounds

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They need a Halfback desperately. Gotta wonder who they'll have room for ??

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Where does it say Staggs is getting $1M?
Towards the bottom (not getting, but knocked back offers):

The Warriors, Roosters and Rabbitohs have each expressed interest in the 19-year-old, with offers being prepared as high as a million dollars a season.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Towards the bottom (not getting, but knocked back offers):

I thought that was Fifita they were talking about?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It just highlights the need to bring your own talent into the NRL. The Broncos aren't a club I suspect of sticking by salary cap rules. But they tend to promote the bulk of their own talent as opposed to the Roosters, who seem to buy their juniors as they shine in Flegg or above.

It seems like an easier task to retain talent than to entice players to shift to a new club.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It just highlights the need to bring your own talent into the NRL. The Broncos aren't a club I suspect of sticking by salary cap rules. But they tend to promote the bulk of their own talent as opposed to the Roosters, who seem to buy their juniors as they shine in Flegg or above.

It seems like an easier task to retain talent than to entice players to shift to a new club.
The Broncs have a pretty decent catchment area for talent. They have a lot of things going for them, might change when the 2nd team comes in.

Banned
Reaction score
In other news, the Rorters, Ponys, News Limited Storm and NRL's Favourite have announced they've all agreed to signing a 1/4 of the league each.
NRL's Toad Greedburger is confident that the u16's left will ensure a competitive competition for the other clubs and that he has absolute confidence the salary caps are being adhered to!