Bunnies chasing Frizell (increasing our chance of signing Fifita)

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bunnies launch audacious raid on old rival to poach Roos star as Sam Burgess replacement
NRL PREMIERSHIP

Could Tyson Frizell be Redfern bound?Source: AAP
The South Sydney Rabbitohs are targeting Kangaroos, NSW and St George Illawarra enforcer Tyson Frizell as a replacement for English international Sam Burgess.

Fox Sports has learned South Sydney has identified Frizell as the type of seasoned representative forward who could be a perfect fit for the expected-to-be outgoing 2014 Clive Churchill Medal winner.

Stream the 2019 Oceania Cup Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

The Burgess retirement issue is tipped to soon be resolved with a Rabbitohs board meeting this week expected to be informed the champion forward needs to be medically retired.
Sam Burgess clutches his problematic shoulder.Source: Getty Images
Frizell is currently contracted with the Dragons until the end of 2020 with the Red V expected to block any attempt to try and grant the Kangaroos back-rower an early release.

South Sydney have been preparing a case for why Burgess should be allowed to be medically retired after sustaining a new shoulder injury in a round five match against the Warriors earlier this season.

Tyson Frizell is jubilant after scoring for the Kangaroos against the Kiwis.Source: Getty Images
The most pressing question for the NRL to determine is how much — if any — of Burgess’s $1 million plus contract should be included in South Sydney’s salary cap for the next three years.

Burgess is contracted with the Rabbitohs until the end of 2022.

2020 NRL DRAW: ROUND BY ROUND

2020 NRL DRAW: TEAM BY TEAM

NRL 2020 draw announced

1:15
South Sydney are not the only club to be linked with Frizell with the Parramatta Eels also closely monitoring his contract negotiations with the Dragons.

Frizell, 28, has played 157 NRL appearances for the Dragons and Cronulla since making his debut in 2011. He is currently contracted with the Red V until the end of next year.

On the representative football front, Frizell has excelled at State of Origin and Test match level.

SBW offered $9m code-switch!

0:44
But as much as he has won State of Origin series with the Blues and a World Cup with the Kangaroos, NRL finals appearances have been few and far between.

Of the three finals campaigns the Dragons forward has featured in 2012 (Sharks), 2015 (Dragons) and 2018 (Dragons), Frizell has never made it past week one in September.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And now, Burgess' medical retirement reported as if a fait accompli ... now permissible to chase prospects for replacement.

Absolute joke!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fifita will either stay at broncs or go to wayne we should just make sure we get lattrell and Jai arrow theyd be 2 great and realistic signings

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the club is gonna go all out and pay some lucky player a million dollars per season as a panic signing....

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lol there isn't a chance in hell we are an option for Fifita

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I really like Fifita and think he is worth a big price tag but would rather Frizell if we have to sign another forward, he has experience, tough, aggressive and would come cheaper. Let Souths take Fifita

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol there isn't a chance in hell we are an option for Fifita
Knowing our history I think we are due to pull off some big seasons I’m sure there’s something being talked about now, they know us fans deserve it. Should be exciting none the less with the salary cap for 2021 being big for us

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fifita will either stay at broncs or go to wayne we should just make sure we get lattrell and Jai arrow theyd be 2 great and realistic signings
I heard Jai Arrow is asking for 900K a season. Someone compared him to a younger Josh Jackson. Don't think he's worth that kind of money.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like Fifita and think he is worth a big price tag but would rather Frizell if we have to sign another forward, he has experience, tough, aggressive and would come cheaper. Let Souths take Fifita
Frizell's a good player don't get me wrong and always puts in but Fifita is another level already. Frizell runs hard but Fifita runs harder, breaks more tackles and also scores tries from nothing by himself at just 19yo (what every club needs). Captain experience also. Captain of the Junior Kangaroos. BEST EVER young player according to Peter Mullholland and Andrew Voss who have watched virtually all the best young players for more than 20 years in junior reps and lower grades. He has the potential to be the best forward ever in the NRL (better than SBW) Frizell is never gonna quite reach those heights or create so many points for his team.

I seriously think Fifita would be good value at what we were reportedly gonna offer Tommy Turbo @ 1.4M per year. We'd have to be a good chance at that price. He could afford to bring his mother to live with him and be his full time chauffeur. Visit his old schoolmates in the Dogs lower grades.

Fifita 1.4M (shed Tolman, move Toomaga to starting 13, play Fifita at lock)
Mitchell 1M (fullback and goalkicker, move DWZ to wing in place of Meaney)
Ramien 600K (centre to replace Holland)
Grant 500K (replace or share hooker with JMK)

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Same, but it goes without saying.. he’s a machine.