News SBW fields staggering $9 million offer from Toronto Wolfpack

Alex Hunter

Dog4Life
Reaction score
Sonny Bill Williams is weighing up the richest contract in the history of either rugby code after a jaw-dropping offer to switch back to the 13-a-side game from Super League-bound club Toronto Wolfpack.

Williams' tilt at another Rugby World Cup triumph with New Zealand was stopped in its tracks by Eddie Jones's England in Japan on Saturday and the 34-year-old is now preparing to turn out for the All Blacks in the tournament's third-place play-off against Wales.

Sonny Bill Williams is set to become the highest paid player in the history of rugby and rugby league.
Sonny Bill Williams is set to become the highest paid player in the history of rugby and rugby league.

The former NRL premiership winner appeared set to hang up the boots this year but it has emerged the cross-code star has received contract offers in recent weeks which would top any pay packet he has earned throughout his 16-year career.

The Wolfpack are prepared to pay Williams as much as $9 million over two years, according to a source with knowledge of the contract negotiation.
Advertisement

If he puts pen to paper on the staggering deal, it would make him the highest paid player in the history of either code.

Williams would be signed as a Super League marquee player and according to the rules of that competition only $300,000 of a marquee player's annual wage counts under the salary cap.

The remainder does not count under the cap, allowing cashed-up clubs to pay big-name players exorbitant salaries.

Williams has also received multi-year, multi-million dollar offers from overseas rugby clubs which would still make him one of the highest paid players in the history of either sport.

The enormous sums being offered to Williams will blow any NRL suitors out of the water despite some clubs having registered interest in the All Blacks star in recent months.

Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis met with Williams' agent, Khoder Nasser, earlier this month but the glamour club will not be able to compete with the money being thrown at the two-time NRL premiership winner.

However, Politis is interested in bringing Williams back to the club in a coaching or other capacity once his playing days are finally behind him.

The Wolfpack are funded by Australian mining billionaire David Argyle, who confirmed interest in bringing Williams to Toronto earlier this year.

Reaction score
IT all makes sense now, the roosters haven’t been rorting the salary cap they have just been playing by different rules​

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'd be nuts not to take that offer.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How is that possible with the super league cap?

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I thought he had a spit handshake agreement with us ahhh the media always underestimating the spit handshake

Last edited:

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
SBW, one of the dullest and stupid football players I've known of.

Obviously endless amount of athleticism which is a good thing because if he had to do a 'normal job' he'd be on centrelink pretty quick.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I though he had a spit handshake agreement with us ahhh the media always underestimating the spit handshake
I heard Pays spit was clean and runny which doesn't stick unlike uncle Nick the scum who brings up a bit Phlegm so it really sticks..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
$BW is such a great man with such integrity that he'll turn down this deal to honour his "handshake" or "gentleman's agreement" with us remember?

Even if the real offer from Toronto is half of that, he or anyone else would have to take it at this stage of their career. That's crazy money.

Either way I'm excited that Toronto are in the ESL and the interest in Canada is legitimate so it's huge for the code. Too bad the NRL can't even add another team in Perth...

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
This is where all you $onny lovin idiots chime in and say "it's not about the money he just wants to help us" or something stupid to that effect..

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He will earn in a quarter of the time what Latrell is yearning to earn in a decade. Oofty moofty

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he turns that down to join us, then I’m sure that will instantly make a lot of fans at least respect him a little.

But he’d be stupid not to take that offer.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Man what a massive pay day. Wouldn’t blame him to take that, go for it SBW!! I would too.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really didn't think he'd done some handshake deal with us anyway. Toronto are going to go broke quickly if they're overpaying players like this article alleges.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I really didn't think he'd done some handshake deal with us anyway. Toronto are going to go broke quickly if they're overpaying players like this article alleges.
The Wolfpack will be losing millions a year for a while, and there is no way in the world it will ever turn a profit, so will be at the whim of its owner if and when he gets bored with it. Same with any US team.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Can I just ask... regardless of whether or not it's compliant with salary cap rules, how on Earth can the Wolfpack actually AFFORD to pay that much to him to begin with? It's not like they own Scrooge McDucks money bin FFS?