Official 17 of our 30 free to sign with other clubs from 1 Nov 2019!

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
COGGER, Jack KEEPER at least for another 2 years - definitely improved before Foran returned to take his place. Showed he could be a threat close to the line and an organiser.
ELLIOTT, Adam 50/50. A bit of a joker and thus popular at the club. Good for team morale which can make a big difference between a boring and enjoyable workplace. Tries hard but not the most skillful player. Can run a good line but not often enough.
FAITALA-MARINER, Raymond KEEPER. Runs hard. Good off the bench.
FORAN, Kieran KEEPER Still one of the top halves if he can keep on the field. If his body wasn't such a risk other clubs would be lining up to sign him (especially the Broncos). Because of that risk and thus lack of real interest from others we should be able to keep him on a downgraded contract of about 2/3 what we're currently paying
HOLLAND, Kerrod GONE If we get a new centre for 2021 and with Harper a better option plus good young centre coming through the grades service not required unless he's willing to stay for minimum wage as a back up
HOPOATE, Will KEEPER probably his best year at the Dogs
JACKSON, Josh (c) KEEPER Was well below his standard until later in the year we should remember. Still tries hard. Worth an extra hundred K because he's our captain. Wish he'd do a bit more whingeing to the refs though.
KALACHE, Kayne GONE Yes I read he's gone
LEWIS, Lachlan KEEPER One of the best defensive techniques in the NRL. Can save tries and set them up. Worth another 1-2 years to see if he can improve his attack
MONTOYA, Marcelo GONE. Ran with a lot more purpose late in the year but not skillful enough and appears slow even though stats showed he's fast. Still can't believe that !
SMITH, Chris GONE. Very average.
SMITH, Reimis KEEPER. Fast finisher but I wish he'd get involved a little bit more. Takes a back seat and could show more initiative
SUE, Sauaso GONE. He started playing better towards the end of year (hit on Klemmer the highlight) but I still think he's average overall
TO'OMAGA, Renouf KEEPER. Was great in the ISP winning team last year and is now confident in firsts. Runs hard and has an offload. He scored a lot of tries in ISP. Hope he can eventauuly do the same in firsts.
TOLMAN, Aiden (vc) 50/50 Good clubman / worker and reliable in defence but never dominant in attack or defence. Gets in the way still in attack. If we keep him should be as a back up only on average wage. Last game against the Broncos we scored 30 points for the first time this year and part of that was because we finally used Tolman as a decoy rather than passing him the ball every 4th tackle on the opposition tryline. I hope we keep doing the same next year.
WAKEHAM, Brandon KEEPER showed enough during his handful of games this year to warrant a longer look
WATENE-ZELEZNIAK, Dallin DEFINITE KEEPER although needs to improve his passing game or go back to the wing
You nailed it, agree with all of that.

So what is the club waiting for with the players they have identified as keepers?

Whats the plan?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Didn't DWZ help persuade our club to sign someone recently? I doubt he'll go if that was a good friend of his.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s not a bad thing, it’s a good thing.
Im sure negotiations are well advanced for the priority players, and those surplus to requirements will have to go.
I’m sure most of those players have a “right of reply” clause in their contracts anyway.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is no one talking about this?

Everyone below can sign with an other club from 1 Nov 2019.

Does the club want to let them all go? and chase pipe dreams like the Turbo Bros!

Or, do non of them want to resign?

WZD has to be no. 1 priority.
Flowed by not loosing all out half options

COGGER, Jack
ELLIOTT, Adam
FAITALA-MARINER, Raymond
FORAN, Kieran
HOLLAND, Kerrod
HOPOATE, Will
JACKSON, Josh (c)
KALACHE, Kayne
LEWIS, Lachlan
MONTOYA, Marcelo
SMITH, Chris
SMITH, Reimis
SUE, Sauaso
TO'OMAGA, Renouf
TOLMAN, Aiden (vc)
WAKEHAM, Brandon
WATENE-ZELEZNIAK, Dallin
From that list our priorities should be

Wakeham
DWZ
Jackson
To'omaga

RFM was excellent at the back of the year playing through the middle and "should" only be getting better if he stays injury free

Remis Smith is another keeper but he needs a couple of fingers up the ass for next year. Kid goes good when he throws himself into the game, but this year there was alot of games where he seemed disinterested.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Smith hardly got any ball in 2019, might be hard to keep the interest up and highlights our centre problem on his wing. He’s great when he gets ball and open space, hopefully this is addressed soon and I agree he’s a keeper out of that list.

Banned
Reaction score
Those asserting no one will sign Foran, forget that Hodkinson was signed by the knights, then sharks and finally the eagles despite his significant injuries.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
COGGER, Jack KEEPER at least for another 2 years - definitely improved before Foran returned to take his place. Showed he could be a threat close to the line and an organiser.
ELLIOTT, Adam 50/50. A bit of a joker and thus popular at the club. Good for team morale which can make a big difference between a boring and enjoyable workplace. Tries hard but not the most skillful player. Can run a good line but not often enough.
FAITALA-MARINER, Raymond KEEPER. Runs hard. Good off the bench.
FORAN, Kieran KEEPER Still one of the top halves if he can keep on the field. If his body wasn't such a risk other clubs would be lining up to sign him (especially the Broncos). Because of that risk and thus lack of real interest from others we should be able to keep him on a downgraded contract of about 2/3 what we're currently paying
HOLLAND, Kerrod GONE If we get a new centre for 2021 and with Harper a better option plus good young centre coming through the grades service not required unless he's willing to stay for minimum wage as a back up
HOPOATE, Will KEEPER probably his best year at the Dogs
JACKSON, Josh (c) KEEPER Was well below his standard until later in the year we should remember. Still tries hard. Worth an extra hundred K because he's our captain. Wish he'd do a bit more whingeing to the refs though.
KALACHE, Kayne GONE Yes I read he's gone
LEWIS, Lachlan KEEPER One of the best defensive techniques in the NRL. Can save tries and set them up. Worth another 1-2 years to see if he can improve his attack
MONTOYA, Marcelo GONE. Ran with a lot more purpose late in the year but not skillful enough and appears slow even though stats showed he's fast. Still can't believe that !
SMITH, Chris GONE. Very average.
SMITH, Reimis KEEPER. Fast finisher but I wish he'd get involved a little bit more. Takes a back seat and could show more initiative
SUE, Sauaso GONE. He started playing better towards the end of year (hit on Klemmer the highlight) but I still think he's average overall
TO'OMAGA, Renouf KEEPER. Was great in the ISP winning team last year and is now confident in firsts. Runs hard and has an offload. He scored a lot of tries in ISP. Hope he can eventauuly do the same in firsts.
TOLMAN, Aiden (vc) 50/50 Good clubman / worker and reliable in defence but never dominant in attack or defence. Gets in the way still in attack. If we keep him should be as a back up only on average wage. Last game against the Broncos we scored 30 points for the first time this year and part of that was because we finally used Tolman as a decoy rather than passing him the ball every 4th tackle on the opposition tryline. I hope we keep doing the same next year.
WAKEHAM, Brandon KEEPER showed enough during his handful of games this year to warrant a longer look
WATENE-ZELEZNIAK, Dallin DEFINITE KEEPER although needs to improve his passing game or go back to the wing
The wages for the lower earners are way too high, not even going to start on Foran at 750k or Lewis at 350k LOL.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cogger - 200k
Elliott - 400k
RFM - 300k
Foran - 500-600k
Hopoate - 500k
Jackson - 700k
Lewis - 300k
Smith - 200k
Reimis - 300k
Toomaga - 200k
Tolman - 400k
Wakeham - 200k
DWZ - 600k

This is going off who I would have in our 13, 17, reserves, etc.

Toomaga wouldn't be in my 17 hence only 200k.

Elliott would be in my 13, if we sign a Lock or push Jackson from the edge then he'd be on the bench and probably on 300k. I wouldn't get rid of him.

No one is going to risk signing Foran. The only reason why I'm keeping him is because there are no Halves on the market. If he has another injury riddled season then he's probably gone anyways.
It makes me laugh when you pull these numbers out of your ass like you think that you know what you're talking about!!

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, if we're pushing the cap now and Jacko's only on 600k, Tolman (and Hoppa) must be on 750-800k each. It's either that, or it's blokes like Elliott, Montota and Holland must be on 500k. I just don't know where the money goes

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cogger - 200k - Cant see him in demand at other clubs so minimum wage unless he starts breaking tackles or pushing up on breaks
Elliott - 400k - Minimum wage - injury backup only
RFM - 300k - Dubious because i agree he has talent but we have shown him years of loyalty....reminds me of Ben Roberts...needs a breakout 2020 to be retained
Foran - 500-600k - Would agree that he owes us for the overs he has been paid so closer to 500k would be ideal
Hopoate - 500k - Agreed
Jackson - 700k - Agreed
Lewis - 300k - Unless Lachlan goes to the line he cant be a five eight which leaves him as a lock and he doesn't have the tackle breaking or speed for that position.....i love this kid though...even off the bench he would be value..has bulldogs dna
Smith - 200k - reserve grader at best
Reimis - 300k - Has potential so I doubt he stays for 300k but agree that he looks disinterested sometimes
Toomaga - 200k - This kid could be amazing if he gets fitter and he believes in himself
Tolman - 400k - Cant see Aiden staying if wolfpack pays overs for him. He gets a lot of criticism for attack which is warranted but every team needs a Tolman
Wakeham - 200k - Glimpses of talent sogive him time to develop
DWZ - 600k - I like his attitude but he is a running FB and if we were to get Turbo then he would need to settle for wing which I doubt he will

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if Foz ends up in the Goldie

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wages for the lower earners are way too high, not even going to start on Foran at 750k or Lewis at 350k LOL.
Foran's on 1.2M for 2020. Do you think the club is going to offer him only half that to re-sign. Hopefully the club won't offer more than a 450K per season downgrade which is a decent downgrade. I think both parties would be fairly happy with this amount. 600K and I think Foran would be looking elsewhere. I think we still need him. He's definitely our most dangerous attacking player when on the field. maybe you're right about less for some of the lower players. Lewis and Cogger though if we offer less than 300k teams like the Broncos who are desperate for a half could throw them a bit more

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You nailed it, agree with all of that.

So what is the club waiting for with the players they have identified as keepers?

Whats the plan?
I'm sure the club is already talking to those they are sure they want to retain like Jackson and DWZ. Just like in any negotiation the 2 sides may be a bit apart. Player mangers would obviously know we're cashed up for 2021 so they would be trying to squeeze every dollar out of the club and thus extra commission for themselves. Forans manager may want 800K per season to extend but the club is only willing to pay 750K so in those cases both parties might be willing to test what the player is worth on the open market. If no other clubs offer more then the player will come back and sign for the lesser offer. When it comes down to lower priority re-signings the club would obviously try to get decisions from new players and priority re-signings ASAP so they can then fill the rest of the 30 man squad with the cheaper players they prefer. It's a real juggling act I'm sure.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It makes me laugh when you pull these numbers out of your ass like you think that you know what you're talking about!!
I never said they're 100%. Just going of what I think. That's the same when you post any opinion on this website. I have the same view with a lot of people posting here. If you don't have anything to add it's better you just keep your mouth shut otherwise you just start arguments when typing like a potato.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cogger - 200k - Cant see him in demand at other clubs so minimum wage unless he starts breaking tackles or pushing up on breaks
Elliott - 400k - Minimum wage - injury backup only
RFM - 300k - Dubious because i agree he has talent but we have shown him years of loyalty....reminds me of Ben Roberts...needs a breakout 2020 to be retained
Foran - 500-600k - Would agree that he owes us for the overs he has been paid so closer to 500k would be ideal
Hopoate - 500k - Agreed
Jackson - 700k - Agreed
Lewis - 300k - Unless Lachlan goes to the line he cant be a five eight which leaves him as a lock and he doesn't have the tackle breaking or speed for that position.....i love this kid though...even off the bench he would be value..has bulldogs dna
Smith - 200k - reserve grader at best
Reimis - 300k - Has potential so I doubt he stays for 300k but agree that he looks disinterested sometimes
Toomaga - 200k - This kid could be amazing if he gets fitter and he believes in himself
Tolman - 400k - Cant see Aiden staying if wolfpack pays overs for him. He gets a lot of criticism for attack which is warranted but every team needs a Tolman
Wakeham - 200k - Glimpses of talent sogive him time to develop
DWZ - 600k - I like his attitude but he is a running FB and if we were to get Turbo then he would need to settle for wing which I doubt he will
Thanks. I thought the majority of these were pretty fair.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Foran's on 1.2M for 2020. Do you think the club is going to offer him only half that to re-sign. Hopefully the club won't offer more than a 450K per season downgrade which is a decent downgrade. I think both parties would be fairly happy with this amount. 600K and I think Foran would be looking elsewhere. I think we still need him. He's definitely our most dangerous attacking player when on the field. maybe you're right about less for some of the lower players. Lewis and Cogger though if we offer less than 300k teams like the Broncos who are desperate for a half could throw them a bit more
I cant see too many other clubs offering him much more to be honest. Last 4 years he'd be lucky to get any offers around the 500k mark.
If he has a decent off season and body holds up it might go up a tad. But we all know what the chances of that are.
I for one hope it does dont get me wrong. On of the best back in the day.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If that’s the halves equation then personally I’m taking Cogger and Lewis every day of the week over Wakeham
Lewis ain’t a half wakeham is the man to take over once foran goes.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe Foran will be retained. Just a matter of what dollars.
He probably will be. I think he will go well in 2020, couple of trial games and keeping himself for an ready to rock!! Big year for him, it’s make or break really.