News Diamond Dogs! Canterbury set to launch $14 million bid for Turbo twins and David Fifita

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Seriously nonsense...

Why is no one talking about the 17 of our current top 30 that can negotiate with other. Clubs from 1 November 2019!

Are we chasing pipe dreams instead?
Or do non of them want to resign?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Seriously nonsense...

Why is no one talking about the 17 of our current top 30 that can negotiate with other. Clubs from 1 November 2019!

Are we chasing pipe dreams instead?
Or do non of them want to resign?
That's a massive issue imo especially if we don't want to pay overs. We could lose a few players that are in our plans to resign. I don't think a player will flip flop (sign somewhere similar - success wise, for the same money) but if they get offers from top clubs we could be in trouble. I think a club like Newcastle could really use someone like Jackson. They have no leaders and Jackson is a warrior. If they were to offer him 900k-1m he'll be gone.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haas on 600k is a steal. I can see him getting ~200k pay rise (contract renegotiated) just to keep him happy at the Broncos (when they've sorted out their cap a bit, in a couple of years).

Clubs actually get so cucked. Players and their managers run the market. If a player feels like they're underpaid they usually get their own way (the player and club meeting in the middle somewhere) or are moved on, whereas if they're on too much the club has to pay a part of their contract to move them on and the player still gets all of his money or just stays at the club.
$600k is ridiculous, at 19 he is the worlds best prop and he re-signs for so little in comparison to what he could get anywhere else. You only have to compare him to Jai arrow who is commanding in excess of $850k a season.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's a massive issue imo especially if we don't want to pay overs. We could lose a few players that are in our plans to resign. I don't think a player will flip flop (sign somewhere similar - success wise, for the same money) but if they get offers from top clubs we could be in trouble. I think a club like Newcastle could really use someone like Jackson. They have no leaders and Jackson is a warrior. If they were to offer him 900k-1m he'll be gone.
Just because the Knights want to offer Jacko $900k+ doesn't mean we should. I love the guy but if it's one final payday he is after which he thoroughly deserves then so be it I'd be ok to lose him. An ageing Jacko $900k OR a young Fifita who is yet to hit his prime $900k?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Just because the Knights want to offer Jacko $900k+ doesn't mean we should. I love the guy but if it's one final payday he is after which he thoroughly deserves then so be it I'd be ok to lose him. An ageing Jacko $900k OR a young Fifita who is yet to hit his prime $900k?
That's what I'm saying. It'd take offers like that for us to lose Jackson.

I'd be offering Jackson 700k with little to no wiggle room on that (I only see clubs like the Knights and Titans offering that money - ~900k). I guess if he wants to win the competition before retiring he could sign with a top club (e.g. Roosters) for the same price but he'll cop a lot of shit. I don't think he'd do that but you never know.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying. It'd take offers like that for us to lose Jackson. I'd be offering Jackson 700k with little to no wiggle room on that (I only see clubs like the Knights and Titans offering that money). I guess if he wants to win the competition before retiring he could sign with a top club (e.g. Roosters) for the same price but he'll cop a lot of shit. I don't think he'd do that but you never know.
Brother, it's a business and IF Jacko did what Brett Morris did and go to an elite team to win a premiership I wouldn't blame him and couldn't hold it against him. Just like I was ecstatic for Ennis when he won a premiership with the peptide Sharks. They have both served us well and well forever recieve the accolades they deserve.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Brother, it's a business and IF Jacko did what Brett Morris did and go to an elite team to win a premiership I wouldn't blame him and couldn't hold it against him. Just like I was ecstatic for Ennis when he won a premiership with the peptide Sharks. They have both served us well and well forever recieve the accolades they deserve.
Yeah I understand it but you could just imagine what these forums would be like.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying. It'd take offers like that for us to lose Jackson.

I'd be offering Jackson 700k with little to no wiggle room on that (I only see clubs like the Knights and Titans offering that money - ~900k). I guess if he wants to win the competition before retiring he could sign with a top club (e.g. Roosters) for the same price but he'll cop a lot of shit. I don't think he'd do that but you never know.
I think there's $200 grand a year for players who've been in a clubs top 30 for 8 years or more, so I'd give Jacko most or all of that to end up on $750 - 800 grand a year. Fuck he's been getting unders compared to just about every other player and is our captain and a great clubman. Tolman's given good service but I get pissed when I hear him talked about, in the same breath as Jacko,as being the 'heart and soul of the team'. It's bullshit - Jackos the only one that deserves that praise in the last few years, apart from maybe DWZ for half a season.

I know he needs to earn his pay like every player, but for me he's really growing into the captains role, and finding much better form again. His inevitable move into the middle will only add to his value IMO and we just need to keep him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think there's $200 grand a year for players who've been in a clubs top 30 for 8 years or more, so I'd give Jacko most or all of that to end up on $750 - 800 grand a year. Fuck he's been getting unders compared to just about every other player and is our captain and a great clubman. Tolman's given good service but I get pissed when I hear him talked about, in the same breath as Jacko,as being the 'heart and soul of the team'. It's bullshit - Jackos the only one that deserves that praise in the last few years, apart from maybe DWZ for half a season.

I know he needs to earn his pay like every player, but for me he's really growing into the captains role, and finding much better form again. His inevitable move into the middle will only add to his value IMO and we just need to keep him.
800k for Jackson? 650k absolute max, even then that's stretching it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Please stop comparing back ended contracts and misjudging the salary cap growth to recruitment now. Yes we shouldn't do that again. No one has said we should. That's the risk you take when you give players big contracts. In theory we could give Jake Trbojevic 1.3m and he could be a massive flop.
Not comparing mate - the past is just that.
My point was - big contracts for alleged superstars both $ and length can backfire (and have) - and you agree.

So wouldn’t it be better to sign a larger portion of more promising players coming through the system (not necessarily all Dogs juniors) and once they show they’re worth it, upgrade and extend them then? Yes it might take us a little longer to win a comp but we’ll have rebuilt the club that was nearly destroyed in recent years. Longevity is the game and I sense that’s what Pay and the executives are trying to do.

Apart from the $ tag and risk attached with some alleged superstars - I want players at the Dogs who want to be there, not just for $. Sure, some won’t come and that’s fine, but plenty will want to be there and can earn top coin as they come through with our cap back in good order.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not comparing mate - the past is just that.
My point was - big contracts for alleged superstars both $ and length can backfire (and have) - and you agree.

So wouldn’t it be better to sign a larger portion of more promising players coming through the system (not necessarily all Dogs juniors) and once they show they’re worth it, upgrade and extend them then? Yes it might take us a little longer to win a comp but we’ll have rebuilt the club that was nearly destroyed in recent years. Longevity is the game and I sense that’s what Pay and the executives are trying to do.

Apart from the $ tag and risk attached with some alleged superstars - I want players at the Dogs who want to be there, not just for $. Sure, some won’t come and that’s fine, but plenty will want to be there and can earn top coin as they come through with our cap back in good order.
Anyone we sign can backfire. Regardless of price tag. At least we're signing proven NRL players (possibly best in their position).

A lot of these promising players would be on long contracts would they not? There is also no reason why we couldn't do this on the side. What is the incentive for these players to come to us?

Everyone wants more money. That doesn't mean that they don't play for anything else tho. There is personal pride, where they want to finish (legacy) their careers, their family, etc. Most players love competition and want to win regardless where and what.

We have a really good base and leadership group as is. I honestly believe we can be competitive in 2021 if we bring in top talent and game breakers (strike players) to our team. To be dominant tho we're going to need to be successful (at least consistent top 8 with a few standout seasons) and get to the end of the 2021 cycle (moving on ageing players, being able to renegotiate the players we payed overs for) so we can start recruiting like top teams.

I'm really excited to see which way the club goes about this. The last few seasons (and I don't have the highest hopes for next season either, obviously anything is possible) have been really hard on us.