Where would you settle down?

Where would you settle down?

• Total voters

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If you’re going to be reliant on your parents to be on-call babysitters, and for ongoing financial assistance - then you shouldn’t be bringing a baby into the world just yet.

That’s just my opinion.
In today’s day and age it is very hard to live in a capital city like Sydney or Melbourne probably even Auckland on one income and child care is very expensive. If you can get any help at all from parents then that is a huge bonus something he doesn’t have in Melbourne unless somebody moves. That’s not “on-call” it’s called family support and grand parents generally want to spend time with kids so it’s not baby sitting when you are family.

Not sure where you got the “ongoing financial assistance” part but hopefully now you get my point and the bro considers the family aspect which I think a lot of parents on here would agree helps.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can make friends anywhere so I would rule out Melbourne.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
If you’re going to be reliant on your parents to be on-call babysitters, and for ongoing financial assistance - then you shouldn’t be bringing a baby into the world just yet.

That’s just my opinion.
That's how us wogs operate (well in terms of our parents being baby-sitters at least). That helps financially as child care isn't needed.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bucking the trend, cause I want to experience and live in as many countries as possible, so NZ (Auckland) for me.
Having only traveled to Wellington before, there's plenty more of the long white cloud to explore.
Although, right now, Singapore life is terrific.

Second would be Melbourne, I miss cold weather. Year-round summer here is a little beige at times.

Good luck with your decisions @Raysie !
Fox and following AFL? They are 2 additional expenses the man does not need!

Anyway... I think it's important to receive a ladies opinion on this, so I welcome the following posters for their input:
I have lived in Sydney all my life. I love Queensland and go almost every year and as much as I would love to move there permanently, It is all about timing! I have been fortunate to be earning a great income as a LREA here in Sydney. This in turn has allowed me to provide my boys with all their needs including a great education. I think if you are planning to have kids in your near future, then move where you both feel you can live most comfortable (without pressures) and be able to give your kids a loving and stable life. Wish you all the best!

Wahesh

Reaction score
I have lived in Sydney all my life. I love Queensland and go almost every year and as much as I would love to move there permanently, It is all about timing! I have been fortunate to be earning a great income as a LREA here in Sydney. This in turn has allowed me to provide my boys with all their needs including a great education. I think if you are planning to have kids in your near future, then move where you both feel you can live most comfortable (without pressures) and be able to give your kids a loving and stable life. Wish you all the best!
Thank you Maria, talking like a pro there my friend :grinning:

I think a factor that needs to be considered is extended family. I know that as an uncle of 5, it would be hard for me if I wasn't within driving distance of them. We're a pretty tight-knit family and it's important to consider the extended family.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sydney.
weather is absolutely critical to me. Beach must be accessible for at least 8 months of the year.
Housing market is a bastard but it’s largely reflected in the average income, assuming you don’t want to live in the inner city.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thank you Maria, talking like a pro there my friend :grinning:

I think a factor that needs to be considered is extended family. I know that as an uncle of 5, it would be hard for me if I wasn't within driving distance of them. We're a pretty tight-knit family and it's important to consider the extended family.
Totally understand as I am from a large close knit family to, and am in driving distance to them. In their situation it will be hard as her family are in NZ and his is in Sydney and they are currently living in Melbourne. IMO they should of already discussed their future plans before preparing for marriage and kids as if one is not happy, this could cause serious issues in their future.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
IMO they should of already discussed their future plans before preparing for marriage and kids as if one is not happy, this could cause serious issues in their future.
Discussion has been happening since the day we got together in the UK 4 years ago. Kids are still years away and marriage is next year.

We knew what we'd be getting into.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Discussion has been happening since the day we got together in the UK 4 years ago. Kids are still years away and marriage is next year.

0h ok, didn’t realise that “Kids are still years away” This makes a big difference as once you have kids, your whole life changes.... in a good way.. lol this could be a good time for you both to buy a property in Sydney or Melbourne. After a 2 year slump, the property market in most areas in Sydney for the last quarter has seen an increase in property prices. This is more likely due to a shortage of properties on the sale market. Had an open home in the inner west very recently for 2bed 1bath 1gar unit and had 29 lots through... sold to buyers on first open... Market could be on the rise again due to low interest rates so try and get in ASAP if you can.

Wahesh

Reaction score

0h ok, didn’t realise that “Kids are still years away” This makes a big difference as once you have kids, your whole life changes.... in a good way.. lol this could be a good time for you both to buy a property in Sydney or Melbourne. After a 2 year slump, the property market in most areas in Sydney for the last quarter has seen an increase in property prices. This is more likely due to a shortage of properties on the sale market. Had an open home in the inner west very recently for 2bed 1bath 1gar unit and had 29 lots through... sold to buyers on first open... Market could be on the rise again due to low interest rates so try and get in ASAP if you can.
Also good to consider buying an investment property in a major city such as Brisbane just to get into the housing market and start somewhere. Some people who are low on cash or single are doing that. The return you get from that investment could be enough to cover you renting a place in in Sydney, or buying an apartment.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Also as @MariaZ stated the housing market is recovering from the slump we were in. In my area, a house sold on the weekend for nearly $2,300,000. Now this house was a 2 story house, about 20 years old. However the house was on a fairly busy street (not a main road, but a fair busy street that leads to the local shops), and has these big trees that drop nuts and leaves constantly - basically living there would be very messy.

If the house sold for that much, it makes me wonder what that same house would've sold for in a more quiet street Probably $2,500,000.

Now is the time to get into the housing market. The time for thinking has passed, it's time to act. Before you know it the houses will be unaffordable again.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Slump house sells for 2.3mil FFS. Hahaha.
Nice flash house or just run of the mill 2 storey house??

Wahesh

Reaction score
Slump house sells for 2.3mil FFS. Hahaha.
Nice flash house or just run of the mill 2 storey house??
It's pretty nice, but the location itself is far from it. Further away that street (away from the shops) is nicer, however it's towards the bottom of a hill and has buses going through it constantly.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's pretty nice, but the location itself is far from it. Further away that street (away from the shops) is nicer, however it's towards the bottom of a hill and has buses going through it constantly.
I couldn't fathom looking at houses anywhere near that amount.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I couldn't fathom looking at houses anywhere near that amount.
Neither can I. The bloke who bought it looked like he could easily spend a few more hundred thousand. Everytime someone placed a bid, he wouldn't hesitate bit again.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Neither can I. The bloke who bought it looked like he could easily spend a few more hundred thousand. Everytime someone placed a bid, he wouldn't hesitate bit again.
Bastard :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Nah well good on the bloke I guess hahaha.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Also as @MariaZ stated the housing market is recovering from the slump we were in. In my area, a house sold on the weekend for nearly $2,300,000. Now this house was a 2 story house, about 20 years old. However the house was on a fairly busy street (not a main road, but a fair busy street that leads to the local shops), and has these big trees that drop nuts and leaves constantly - basically living there would be very messy.

If the house sold for that much, it makes me wonder what that same house would've sold for in a more quiet street Probably $2,500,000.

Now is the time to get into the housing market. The time for thinking has passed, it's time to act. Before you know it the houses will be unaffordable again.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Was that property near the city? If not it must of been a big block or the zoning R3 or R4? Because I sold one Federation house in CANTERBURY 858sqm (very big block) R3 zoning for $1,610,000 and this house needed renovations!

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was that property near the city? If not it must of been a big block or the zoning R3 or R4? Because I sold one Federation house in CANTERBURY 858sqm (very big block) R3 zoning for $1,610,000 and this house needed renovations!
WTF damn. Guess I aint moving to Sydney anytime soon hahaha.