Broncos re-sign Origin star Corey Oates just days before contract expires

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Brisbane has re-signed State of Origin star Corey Oates, getting the deal sorted only four days before he was officially unemployed.

The 25-year-old winger has agreed to an extension for the 2020 NRL season, and has options in the paperwork for the two seasons following that.

Oates has scored 91 tries in 142 games for the Broncos since debuting in 2013, and is one of the competition’s best wingers.

He’s also cemented a spot on Queensland’s wing.

He left it late to commit to a new deal but said he is relieved to get it done before his contract expired on Friday.

“It’s good to have things sorted. The Broncos have been great for the last eight years or so and it’s always hard to leave somewhere ... the last thing I want to do is pack up and have to start again,” Oates said.

“I started last season really strong and it would be good to have that form the whole year ... that’s on myself, I can fix that.

“You have to manage it all and have a strong pre-season, and my focus will be on getting all the little things right.”

The Broncos are yet to confirm an extension for veteran backrower Alex Glenn.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
surprise, surprise.
Likely will re-sign Fifita too AND secure a halfback.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
IF Fifita does re-sign with the Broncos I hope it's for an exhorbent amount so other stars get pushed out.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
IF Fifita does re-sign with the Broncos I hope it's for an exhorbent amount so other stars get pushed out.
He will sign for less, than other clubs offered him.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Na i call bullshit. I was informed in an internet forum (the kennel) that he is a done deal at canterbury

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really think this is what will happen also.
Nah looking like Burgess will get a medical retirement pushed through like an express train by the NRL now for some strange reason and Fifita will re-unite with his original coach Bennett at Souths. Broncos are having trouble affording Brodie Croft. Can't see how they could afford to match the 1 MIL offers Fifita will attract. They still got a fair pack even without him. Only way they could afford to keep him is if Boyd and / or Bird decide to f..k off. Can't see why either of them would though when they're on huge salaries and no-one else is going to be interested in them.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are expecting to re-sign him.

Though it will be after Nov 1.
Nice to see you back Kaz, hope you are doing well.

The rorters of the north are spending big $$$ for the years ahead :P

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nice to see you back Kaz, hope you are doing well.

The rorters of the north are spending big $$$ for the years ahead :P
They'd have some high paid players on the roster. Would give the Roosters a run for the Sombrero Cup

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Good. I don't want him at our club. Over-rated and probably costs them an arm and a leg. Look I won't doubt that he's got talent, but he's made some dumb mistakes under the high ball.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
He will sign for less, than other clubs offered him.
That usually only happens at clubs who are a genuine chance of winning a premiership though.
Maybe Corey was offered just enough "optional extras" outside of his disclosed salary to make him stay?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe Corey was offered just enough "optional extras" outside of his disclosed salary to make him stay?
Corey's FIL is former Bronco Gene Miles, so he wasn't going anywhere.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meh didn’t want him here anyway. We have our eyes on others I’m sure ;)