News Diamond Dogs! Canterbury set to launch $14 million bid for Turbo twins and David Fifita

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong but the only player we have left who was at school with Fifita is Devontai Seumanutafa and he isn't even close to making our first team at the moment. He has life very easy up in Brisbane, the media is on his side, he lives at home and the Broncos will give him a big contract anyway.

We have enough backrowers and we have three quality junior forwards developing nicely anyway. Lets spend the money on our spine.
Fifita came through the juniors as a prop which are same as locks these days but he could play middle forward or back row. Keebra Park boys Sebastian Winters-Chang, Brock Hamill, Paul Karaitiana and Devontai are all still with our Flegg team or were til the final rounds this year anyway. Fifita could still get to see them regularly if they're all in Sydney and playing for the same club even if it were in different grades. He could even live with them. Would be kind of a reunion for him. All young guys have to move out of home some time. We can probably make it the easiest for him to do so.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Seriously let's make a play for wighton!!..a gun half

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fifita came through the juniors as a prop which are same as locks these days but he could play middle forward or back row. Keebra Park boys Sebastian Winters-Chang, Brock Hamill, Paul Karaitiana and Devontai are all still with our Flegg team or were til the final rounds this year anyway. Fifita could still get to see them regularly if they're all in Sydney and playing for the same club even if it were in different grades. He could even live with them. Would be kind of a reunion for him. All young guys have to move out of home some time. We can probably make it the easiest for him to do so.
He isnt moving from the comfort of his home at his age to come live in Belmore to hang out with his reserve grade buddies. Why wouldn't he just stay at the Broncos and hang out with all the Keebra boys there? or go to the Titans to be with ones of his best buds Tanah Boyd?

Some people are living in fantasy land if they think he is going to choose us for any other reason than the $$$. We don't need a backrower, all we need is a cheap reliable prop that runs hard, plenty of those around for half the price Fifita will command. You dont win premierships by only having a star studded forward pack.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I think we're fine in the Second Row and Lock positions.

I'd strengthen Centre (or Winger depending where Latrell plays), Hooker and Prop. Fullback if it meant Latrell (a must signing for me - controversial on these forums). So my ideal signings would be something like Latrell, Manu, Taukeiaho and Grant (Thompson is another option for Prop and the two Junior Kangaroos - Flegler and Faasuamaleaui. Vunivalu is a Winger option if Latrell is playing Centre). Papenhuyzen is a good shout tho. He's done some goal kicking (no idea how good he actually is, definitely not on Latrell's level) in some of Storm's games too which is something we're going to desperately need with Meaney out of the side.
We'd never get Latrell, Manu and Taukeiaho. Maybe one if we are lucky.

I also don't think we will get another centre if we sign a fullback, DWZ will most likely be moved to the centres, regardless if we agree with that or not.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We'd never get Latrell, Manu and Taukeiaho. Maybe one if we are lucky.

I also don't think we will get another centre if we sign a fullback, DWZ will most likely be moved to the centres, regardless if we agree with that or not.
Just ideal signings. I'd like to recruit in those positions tho. I don't want Meaney on the Wing long term tho so if we can strengthen that position we should (or have DWZ play there and sign a Centre).

Getting Latrell is real. Roosters aren't going to offer him over 800k. If we actually offer 1m and the Rabbitohs don't either I don't see why he wouldn't be here in 2021. I guess the only people that don't see that is the ones that don't want to pay that sort of money for one player.

I think we can get any player we like actually if we pay enough (some are better to skip, e.g. paying overs on overs). I've listed a few alternatives as well.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about every manager must be spreading rumours the Dogs are "chasing". Personally I don't believe any of it.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He isnt moving from the comfort of his home at his age to come live in Belmore to hang out with his reserve grade buddies. Why wouldn't he just stay at the Broncos and hang out with all the Keebra boys there? or go to the Titans to be with ones of his best buds Tanah Boyd?

Some people are living in fantasy land if they think he is going to choose us for any other reason than the $$$. We don't need a backrower, all we need is a cheap reliable prop that runs hard, plenty of those around for half the price Fifita will command. You dont win premierships by only having a star studded forward pack.
I didn't say it wouldn't be because of the dollars mainly. Of course it would be about the money mainly but because he has a few mates already at the club that could help sway him our way ahead of other options also.

We already have a few cheap reliable props that run hard (Toomaga, Sue, Ogden, and up and coming Devontai Seumanutafa). We also have plenty of cheap reliable second rowers and locks but what we don't have is a forward who can break tackle after tackle and score tries like Fifita can (create something from nothing). Last 4 games this year for the Broncos Fifita had almost 40 tackle busts (average 10 a game !!!) Would any of our current forwards average half of that - don't think so. He looked good against us too. If Jason Taumalolo is worth a MIL a season then so is Fifita. He's already a beast at 19yo against men most of whom are a lot more experienced than himself. He could be anything. Potential to be the best forward in the whole NRL. He was the best junior footballer EVER according to Peter Mullholland and Andrew Voss.

(quote) "You don't win Premierships by only having a star studded forward pack". No of course not but a star studded forward pack f..ken helps. Even if we got Fifita I don't think you'd call our forward pack star studded. And even if we got Fifita for a MIL a season there's still plenty of money to recruit 2 or more elite backs.

DWZ, Hopa, Reimis Smith, Foran, Cogger (or Lewis), Napa, JMK, CHN, Jackson, and Stimson are going to be in our starting 13 somewhere in 2021. That leaves room for 2 backs and 1 forward. Since there are no great halves or hookers available don't you think it's important that we make the most out of those 3 remaining spots available ? Better to have gamebreakers in those 3 positions rather than cheapies or hasbeens like Leilua IF you wanna win a comp anytime soon at least (next 5 years)

Last edited:

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I didn't say it wouldn't be because of the dollars mainly. Of course it would be about the money mainly but because he has a few mates already at the club that could help sway him our way ahead of other options also.

We already have a few cheap reliable props that run hard (Toomaga, Sue, Ogden, and up and coming Devontai Seumanutafa). We also have plenty of cheap reliable second rowers and locks but what we don't have is a forward who can break tackle after tackle and score tries like Fifita can (create something from nothing). Last 4 games this year for the Broncos Fifita had almost 40 tackle busts. He looked good against us too. If Jason Taumalolo is worth a MIL a season so is Fifita. He could be anything. Potential to be the best forward in the whole NRL. He was the best junior footballer ever seen according to Peter Mullholland and Andrew Voss.

(quote) "You don't win Premierships by only having a star studded forward pack". No of course not but a star studded forward pack f..ken helps. Even if we got Fifita I don't think you'd call our forward pack star studded. And even if we got Fifita for a MIL a season there's still plenty of money to recruit 2 or more elite backs.

DWZ, Hopa, Reimis Smith, Foran, Cogger (or Lewis), Napa, JMK, CHN, Jackson, and Stimson are going to be in our starting 13 somewhere in 2021. That leaves room for 2 backs and 1 forward. Since there are no great halves or hookers available don't you think it's important that we Youmake the most out of those 3 remaining spots available ? Better to have gamebreakers in those 3 positions rather than cheapies or hasbeens like Leilua IF you wanna win a comp within the next 5 years at least.
If theres no one on the market in the positions we need then you invest the money in very short term contracts and wait for the following year until some you actually need is on the market.

Who is gonna feed Fifita quality ball when we have a makeshift dummy half, a broken half and a fullback with limited ball playing skills. Fifita isn't even the best forward at his club and yet you want to offer him a $1m/season?? He is a quality player but he isn't what we need. Plan and simple.

I'd rather we build a quality team than have a few star players surrounded by average to below average players.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I agree.

The only chasing been done is by brady
Not to mention Mitchell has said scoring tries against the Dogs gives him a kick because he was overlooked in the past. Thanks Des/Cleal assuming that’s true - we had She-Rex and Liccha to show for that ‘wisdom’. Easy to blame what’s in the rear view mirror, but regardless, no way he has interest in being at Belmore unless it’s a stupidly delicious contract (‘Skies the limit’ shows what’s important to him - ala She-Rex 2.0). Have we not learnt anything in recent years? FFS, this is a stay, not a sprint. Build the right team, the right culture and use the ‘warchest’ wisely and we’ll lift the trophy soon enough. Repeat the mistakes of recent years at our peril and we’ll be waiting a lot longer and ‘rebuilding’ all over again. I don’t see it as rocket science...

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ideal signings. I'd like to recruit in those positions tho. I don't want Meaney on the Wing long term tho so if we can strengthen that position we should (or have DWZ play there and sign a Centre).

Getting Latrell is real. Roosters aren't going to offer him over 800k. If we actually offer 1m and the Rabbitohs don't either I don't see why he wouldn't be here in 2021. I guess the only people that don't see that is the ones that don't want to pay that sort of money for one player.

I think we can get any player we like actually if we pay enough (some are better to skip, e.g. paying overs on overs). I've listed a few alternatives as well.
We can afford Tom Turbo for fullback 1.4M and Latrell Mitchell for centre 1M. Manly will be 400K a season short for Turbo and The Roosters will be at least 200k short for Mitchell maybe more. Rabbits can't afford anywhere near that either after buying Roberts. He would have eaten up at least 600k of Inglis' salary. Gagai is on decent coin also.

They also upgraded Cook considerably recently. Their main focus now is replacing Burgess IF he medically retires so their hands are tied for a while there which means they could miss out on a target. If Burgess announced retirement tomorrow and the NRL made a decision immediately to waive the payout from the cap then they'd be after Fifita for sure with Burgess' 1M+ a season salary

Last edited:

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We could have the best players but under dean gay we will achieve nothing besides win a couple games in a row and make people think that’s somehow an accomplishment

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not to mention Mitchell has said scoring tries against the Dogs gives him a kick because he was overlooked in the past. Thanks Des/Cleal assuming that’s true - we had She-Rex and Liccha to show for that ‘wisdom’. Easy to blame what’s in the rear view mirror, but regardless, no way he has interest in being at Belmore unless it’s a stupidly delicious contract (‘Skies the limit’ shows what’s important to him - ala She-Rex 2.0). Have we not learnt anything in recent years? FFS, this is a stay, not a sprint. Build the right team, the right culture and use the ‘warchest’ wisely and we’ll lift the trophy soon enough. Repeat the mistakes of recent years at our peril and we’ll be waiting a lot longer and ‘rebuilding’ all over again. I don’t see it as rocket science...
Please stop comparing back ended contracts and misjudging the salary cap growth to recruitment now. Yes we shouldn't do that again. No one has said we should. That's the risk you take when you give players big contracts. In theory we could give Jake Trbojevic 1.3m and he could be a massive flop.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
G

We already have a few cheap reliable props that run hard (Toomaga, Sue, Ogden, and up and coming Devontai Seumanutafa). We also have plenty of cheap reliable second rowers and locks but what we don't have is a forward who can break tackle after tackle and score tries like Fifita can (create something from nothing). Last 4 games this year for the Broncos Fifita had almost 40 tackle busts (average 10 a game !!!) Would any of our current forwards average half of that - don't think so. He looked good against us too. If Jason Taumalolo is worth a MIL a season then so is Fifita. He's already a beast at 19yo against men most of whom are a lot more experienced than himself. He could be anything. Potential to be the best forward in the whole NRL. He was the best junior footballer EVER according to Peter Mullholland and Andrew Voss.

DWZ, Hopa, Reimis Smith, Foran, Cogger (or Lewis), Napa, JMK, CHN, Jackson, and Stimson are going to be in our starting 13 somewhere in 2021. That leaves room for 2 backs and 1 forward. Since there are no great halves or hookers available don't you think it's important that we make the most out of those 3 remaining spots available ? Better to have gamebreakers in those 3 positions rather than cheapies or hasbeens like Leilua IF you wanna win a comp anytime soon at least (next 5 years)
a agree....did ya offers us something different...he is am attacking destructive force...get him over to the dogs

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If theres no one on the market in the positions we need then you invest the money in very short term contracts and wait for the following year until some you actually need is on the market.

Who is gonna feed Fifita quality ball when we have a makeshift dummy half, a broken half and a fullback with limited ball playing skills. Fifita isn't even the best forward at his club and yet you want to offer him a $1m/season?? He is a quality player but he isn't what we need. Plan and simple.

I'd rather we build a quality team than have a few star players surrounded by average to below average players.
Only decent halves better than Foran are Keary and Munster who won't be available until 2022. At that time probably EVERY CLUB will be throwing well over a MIL a season at them. It's going to be a crazy bidding war then obviously. Are fans going to be happy with us throwing 1.5M or more to one player (even a half) then ? The usual suspects will be crying "what if he gets injured" or what if he takes the pay packet then becomes lazy.

We have 3 (now 4 with the kid from Parra) decent up and coming halves which is probably better than most clubs. Foran is more than capable of delivering quality ball and so is Cogger, Lewis, Wakeham, and Hopa but Fifita is such a beast he could make something out of nothing on most occasions even without quality ball.

Fifita is every bit as good as Haas now or better if you watched the last few Broncos games.

A team with a few star players surrounded by average players (like the Storm) will usually perform much better than a WHOLE team of average players wouldn't you agree ?

Last edited:

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Only decent halves better than Foran are Keary and Munster who won't be available until 2022. At that time probably EVERY CLUB will be throwing well over a MIL a season at them. It's going to be a crazy bidding war then obviously. Are fans going to be happy with us throwing 1.5M or more to one player (even a half) then ? The usual suspects will be crying "what if he gets injured" or what if he takes the pay packet then becomes lazy.

We have 3 (now 4 with the kid from Parra) decent up and coming halves which is probably better than most clubs. Foran is more than capable of delivering quality ball and so is Cogger, Lewis, Wakeham, and Hopa but Fifita is such a beast he could make something out of nothing on most occasions even without quality ball.

Fifita is every bit as good as Haas now or better if you watched the last few Broncos games.

A team with a few star players surrounded by average players (like the Storm) will usually perform much better than a WHOLE team of average players wouldn't you agree ?
Big chance that Foran wont be here for 2021 if he gets another injury. He is coming off contract.

Haas is better than Fifita and you dont have a case to argue. Look at the Dally M leaderboards and tell me Fifita had a better season.....

Bringing up the Storm just strengthens my argument, look at their best players, Smith and Munster, both spine players. They continually let go of big name forwards because they dont want to pay over the odds for them.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Big chance that Foran wont be here for 2021 if he gets another injury. He is coming off contract.

Haas is better than Fifita and you dont have a case to argue. Look at the Dally M leaderboards and tell me Fifita had a better season.....

Bringing up the Storm just strengthens my argument, look at their best players, Smith and Munster, both spine players. They continually let go of big name forwards because they dont want to pay over the odds for them.
Haas was massive from round one (well after his suspensions and what not) and I personally think he was almost the best Prop in the game if not the best. Fifita took a while to get going (was coming off the bench a lot). Haas is also playing a more impactful position.

Storm don't pay overs for anyone really and that's because they're a successful club and don't have to use that formula. They can just get the next best thing coming through for value. We can't.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Haas played numerous games without coming off and his last run was just as good as his first. The guy is a machine and while Fifita is becoming a superstar he isnt as valuable as Haas.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Haas played numerous games without coming off and his last run was just as good as his first. The guy is a machine and while Fifita is becoming a superstar he isnt as valuable as Haas.
Haas on 600k is a steal. I can see him getting ~200k pay rise (contract renegotiated) just to keep him happy at the Broncos (when they've sorted out their cap a bit, in a couple of years).

Clubs actually get so cucked. Players and their managers run the market. If a player feels like they're underpaid they usually get their own way (the player and club meeting in the middle somewhere) or are moved on, whereas if they're on too much the club has to pay a part of their contract to move them on and the player still gets all of his money or just stays at the club.