Canterbury and Cronulla to play trail in PNG.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury and Cronulla to play NRL trial in Papua New Guinea
David Riccio, Exclusive, The Daily Telegraph
October 24, 2019 3:01pm

Papua New Guinea is one step closer to hosting an official NRL competition match with Canterbury and Cronulla set to clash on the Pacific island next year.

In a historic first for rugby league, the Bulldogs and Sharks will begin their 2020 NRL campaigns with a February trial match in Port Moresby.

It will be the first time the NRL has hosted a trial match in PNG and is part of a program supported by the Australian Government which will see trial matches played in the Pacific in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

The Dogs and Sharks will play at Port Moresby’s $88 million international-quality 15,000-seat National Football stadium on February 22 — three weeks before round one of the NRL season.

The plan is for both clubs to arrive in PNG several days before the match in order to conduct coaching clinics while also promoting welfare and education programs throughout the capital and increasing their fan and membership base.

PNG is the only country in the world that can claim rugby league as its national sport and have made no secret of their bid to be part of the NRL competition.

The Papua New Guinea Hunters have been part of Queensland’s Intrust Super Cup since 2014 — viewed by many as a stepping stone towards their NRL inclusion.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the trial match was proof the code was intent on broadening rugby league’s footprint and impact on social behaviours.

“This is an exciting and valuable step for the game,’’ Greenberg said.

“We know so many of our players were born in Pacific nations and are idolised in nations like Papua New Guinea who have a genuine passion for rugby league.

“We thank the Federal Government for their ongoing partnership. It was remarkable to see both the Prime Minister and the Foreign Minister attend the PM’s XIII match in Fiji earlier this month.

“Rugby league brings communities together and with the federal government there is so much we can do to enhance these regions.”

Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill said his club jumped at the opportunity to finalise their 2020 preparations with a “camp style” trip that boasted endless opportunities for the club and code.

“To have been invited to take part in this match and help promote the sport in this important part of the world is fantastic news for our club,’’ he said.

“Our core club values of family and inclusiveness are acknowledged as major elements to help grow the game and the value that rugby league can play in PNG.”

Sharks CEO Richard Munro added: “This is groundbreaking moment and it’s important that our club is taking part.

“Our players are looking forward to going to PNG and working with the local communities to grow the game. It will be a rewarding and valuable week for our club and for the people of PNG.”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's happening boys, we're playing more than 1 trial!

This is going to be mental though, the locals are going to be going off with this hahaha.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

This is going to be mental though, the locals are going to be going off with this hahaha.
Calm down mate you’ll get all excited and Pay will send a fringe CCup and Cabramatta side to PNG!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Yup good too see, needed too as well.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've got the Cronulla trial on Feb 22 in PNG, the Canberra trial on Feb 29 in Port Macquarie, then Parra in Rd 1, 12 days later. I reckon that's an awesome prep if we get it right. Injuries are a risk but our last 2 season starts show we need to be better prepared for match conditions.

I expect we'll play at least one half in PNG with a weaker team (or rotate players a lot), but treat the Canberra game as more of a proper game. I hope Pay can build a lot of competition for spots in those couple of games.

ajay78

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Oh Hell yeah I'm already there!!...

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Love the passion PNG has for footy, played some schoolboys footy up there as a kid it’s a fuckiing crazy place.be a great game to watch

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll be there guys to support the boys. Since I have a Roland wide format printer.... I'm gonna print a massive banner and set it up in the stands.... Can't wait to see the boys on home soil...
Where in PNG are you moedogg

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
88 Million for a 15,000 seat stadium....i guess Australia paid for it ..

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be there guys to support the boys. Since I have a Roland wide format printer.... I'm gonna print a massive banner and set it up in the stands.... Can't wait to see the boys on home soil...
Legend, i love it!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey Maroondog72, I spend my time between Port Moresby and Bougainville Island where I come from. What about you? You work in PNG?
No mate I’m in FNQ but played some school boy footy in moresby and have done some game fishing around Rabaul

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Get all the players from both teams on the Kava drink pre game.. will add to the entertainment..

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another reason for not buying membership next season .

Accesbility to live games is getting smaller and smaller.

Rant over