Opinion 2019 Recruitment Review & Ratings

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Cogger should cop more shit if that's what people think about Mbye. I understand fans will be biased tho. I've seen it with plenty of things.
Cogger should be our starting 7. Mbye is an extremely overpaid below average centre who can kick goals in front of the posts.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think this has been done so lets run the microscope over the recruits over the past 12 months.

GAINS

Corey Harawira-Naera:
8/10
Ran great lines and plays with plenty of energy. Defence is on the improve and looks to be a staple on our edge for years to come. Acquired at the right price at the right time as he sought greater opportunities. Capped the year with a New Zealand test call up.

Dylan Napa: 6/10
About par for the course. I thought most of his work in the back half of the year almost justified the price tag as he punched out some good minutes and several 200m+ games. Can forgive his somewhat slow start given his limited game time in 2018. As a 26 year old prop, his best years are yet to come and hopefully we see continued improvement.

Dallin Watene-Zelesniak: 9/10
Another shrewd piece of business. Kiwi test skipper acquired at a fairly modest price. The energy and leadership that he brings to the table rubs off on his team mates and we were a better overall unit with him in it. Always hungry, always runs with venom, and his talk at the back was valuable to our defence. Superb signing.

Nick Meaney: 7.5/10
Held his own during stints at fullback, and when shifted to the wing he grew into the role well. Confidence on the way up and at just 21 there's plenty to like about him. Blinding speed and can beat a tackle, finishing 2nd for the club in tackle busts. Impressive goalkicker and potted them at the 80% mark. Viable wing option for the short term, but I think will develop into a quality fullback/five eighth going forward.

Jack Cogger: 8.5/10
One of the best young halfbacks in the game. Looks to have time, which is everything as a halfback. Very composed and just looks to have a solid all round game. At just 22, he's got plenty in the locker to build upon. Backing him as our long term halfback in the Shifty Sherwin mould.

Christian Crichton: 4.5/10
Had the Kennel in a spin during the pre-season as Mr I uploaded countless shirtless pics, and close ups of his biceps and quads. Exposed early with some defensive lapses combined with giving away a bit of height to taller opponents. His strengths are with ball in hand, particularly starting sets. Didn't offer enough to hold down a starting wing spot and his season was somewhat marred by injury.

Sauaso Sue: 5.5/10
Hot and cold. Mixed some barnstorming carries with some errors and defensive lapses. If he can tighten up his all round game he could be a useful bench forward for us.

OVERALL: 8/10

Interested to hear the Kennels thoughts.
Corey Harawira-Naera: 8/10. Not sure why he was dropped earlier in the year (assume he was late for training or something cause his form was OK) but he responded well and is getting better. Was fit for the Kiwi's last night. The best player, skill-wise, we signed this year.
Dylan Napa: 5/10. Kept trying all year but is a yard off the pace for modern NRL. Better as a bench player and not value for money yet IMO.
Dallin Watene-Zelesniak: 9/10. Not the greatest player but is our most valuable signing for a while. Great talker and clearly lifts all the players around him. Brings a lot more than just his individual play.
Nick Meaney: 6/10. Showed some improvement in the last 6 weeks of the season but still has a fair way to go. His career could still go either way. Great under the high ball and fullback is his best chance of making it.
Jack Cogger: 5/10. Showed about the same as what he did at the Knights. Solid halfback skills with the ability to improve, but he's very small so he needs to have a better than 'solid' skill base. I'm not a fan of his kicking - no consistency.
Christian Crichton: 1/10. Why did we buy him?
Sauaso Sue: 3/10. I was really disappointed in his start after all the talk, but he started to improve before his injury. Could be handy in 2020 but surely he won't be re-signed after that.

Overall I reckon we recruited pretty well for the cap-freeze kind of period we're in. We don't need to keep Cogger, Crichton or Sue after next year but they're cheap and add some depth while we're waiting for 2021.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You don't know football.

You're now moving the goal posts. We're not an attraction for talent wanted by other clubs so we have to pay overs. The higher the player is valued the extra we have to pay (it isn't a blank 200-300k for everyone). I'm not sure why you're bringing this up when it isn't relevant.

Did I personally insult you? I tried really hard not to but it's hard when dealing with morons.
I'm not going to be baited into a slanging match or try to match wits with an unarmed opponent. So enjoy spouting off and getting your jollies about thinking you're correct despite having the majority of people disagreeing with you. The true bastion of a moron is seen in the need to push their point with personal insult. Have fun doing that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm not going to be baited into a slanging match or try to match wits with an unarmed opponent. So enjoy spouting off and getting your jollies about thinking you're correct despite having the majority of people disagreeing with you. The true bastion of a moron is seen in the need to push their point with personal insult. Have fun doing that.
You're delusional. Biased.
If you count calling someone a moron an insult I never insulted you until after you said I did. Weirdo.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mbye would never sign for us now. We'd need to offer him an extra $800k because we're the least attractive club in the comp

Lmfao
I've never said that tho. How is that even funny? You just reinforce my point about you monkey's being morons.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
In all honesty he shits all over the guy he was bought in to replace in every category except natural athleticism. Cogger may not have the pace that Mbye has, but he's instinctively a better half. His work ethic is world's ahead. He has a variety of kicks in his arsenal. He doesn't go missing in action. He doesn't only look good when someone puts him in space. I would assume he's not on a massively inflated wage. If Cogger had the pace and acceleration of Mbye coupled with his other attributes he'd be pushing for rep duties.

We have to remember that he's relatively new to the NRL and has already shown more than Mbye did after having years to refine his skill set.
Dunno about rep duties but I agree with everything else. Gun little player who could be our general for years to come if coached properly