Fox Sports Diamond Dogs! Canterbury set to launch $14 million bid for Turbo twins and David Fifita

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
T Turbo
Smith
DWZ
Hoppa
Meaney
Foran
Lewis
Napa
JMK
To'maga
Jackson
Fifita
JTurbo

CHN, RFM, Stimson, Ogden

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is there anyone we've been linked with (I mean anyone, preferably players with a rumoured price tag) that you would/would of liked to of signed?
Also unless something changes in one week we're not getting a Half (someone on contract pops up) so 1m can't be spent there.
I agree Halfback and Fullback are 1m positions tho.
From my side those England forwards look a goer, especially Thomson. Tried to get on the forums over here and they all talk pretty highly of him.

From how I look at things a centre, half, and hooker are what we need. Personally I'd go all out on a half and that's something I'd back throwing a mill or so to. Fifta is obviosuly unbelievable, but spending big on him will mean not being able to spend in areas that we really need.

I'd say the same about the brothers from Manly. Are they even playing in positions we need to strengthen? Just seems a like a lot of hot air personally.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As much as I'd love an up yours to Des, does anyone else reckon Tom on 1.4mil is a huge gamble? Gun player when fit but that's the big concern.

We could get Manu and Thompson for that amount. Throw in Fifita and possibly Wighton (for the money that was to be spent on Jake)?
He is definitely not worth 40% more then tedesco!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He is definitely not worth 40% more then tedesco!!
Tedesco is worth a little bit more then 1m, probably 1.2m. Tom is worth 1m (if injuries continue next year and so after then that's going to come down but he's also only 23 so he could also explode the other way). You're right Tom isn't worth 1.4m. It's just what we'd have to pay to attract him to our club. You need to understand that we're not going to be able to pay "what players are worth" in our current situation. The more the player is "worth" the more extra $ we're going to have to pay, so basically the better the player/ability. Now once you understand that, remember that also applies to players around 500k (any player that isn't classified as an opportunist player, they also can't be wanted by other clubs for the same chance/opportunity) where we'll have to pay an extra 50-150k (I'm making up numbers, but you should get the point, we're not going to be able to compete with other clubs offering the same) to attract them. The only reason we wouldn't have to pay that extra is if we're the only club that wants them or can fit them in (probably not a good player that is going to make a difference, it's possible we'll find 1-2 of these players a year tho). The more successful we're, e.g. top 8, top 4, etc the easier it is to recruit players (e.g. Roosters, Storm) and the more chance we have of paying value for a player. Our recruitment for 2021 starts now (November) so all we have to go off is this year and the past years (where we could finish next year isn't really relevant and from the outside majority of people will have us outside the 8 anyways). I and I doubt others want the recruitment to be the same as it was going into this year especially when we have the money to spend (a lot of people will use DWZ as the saviour but we need more players like and better players then DWZ and the way we signed him was a miracle - mid season signing, only club that could offer him Fullback, Eels were interested for Centre, Tigers tried to move Mbye on to fit DWZ in, would of been playing Reserves if he didn't leave Panthers). If that's the length we're going to go through to sign a player, the stars aligning, I'm worried if that's the recruitment method we're going to stick with.

Last edited:

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do people realise that Fifita's mum has the final say where he goes.

I think she might be his manager.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Do people realise that Fifita's mum has the final say where he goes.

I think she might be his manager.
Does she want her son to make an extra 200-300k a year? I'm sure she gets some benefit in that. If Broncos can offer him 800-900k he'll stay.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Does she want her son to make an extra 200-300k a year? I'm sure she gets some benefit in that. If Broncos can offer him 800-900k he'll stay.
Fifita doesn't believe he is a million dollar player.

He has said he is a 'rookie' & hasn't earnt the large pay ATM.

But who knows, it could be all talk.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fifita doesn't believe he is a million dollar player.

He has said he is a 'rookie' & hasn't earnt the large pay ATM.

But who knows, it could be all talk.
It doesn't matter what he believes. Those are the offers he's about to receive. He also didn't rule out leaving home and Brisbane.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we shed Tolman, Holland, Elliott, Montoya, and Sue by 2021 that would free up more than another MIL. Our priorities for 2021 signings should be Tom Turbo for fullback (the Turbos said recently they will consider playing for different clubs) Latrell Mitchell at centre and David Fifita middle forward. Should be enough left over to chase Grant for hooker also. Even if Turbo gets injured we still have 2 new gamebreakers + another in Foran (at reduced salary).

I read the Broncos are already having trouble freeing up cap to sign Brodie Croft who they desperately need and they're already top heavy with forwards so doubt they can even offer Fifita 500K unless Boyd retires but why would he when he can get 800K per year over the next 2 years from the Broncs. I read Fifita likes Wollongong but not Sydney traffic. Throw me 100K a year off the books and I'll be his full time chauffeur between Kiama and Belmore. His mum can come stay whenever she wants also. Or he can room up with Devontai Seumanutafa currently playing in our Flegg / ISP teams who used to go to school with Fifita at Keebra Park. We also signed another 3 players from that school team so I presume he still has a few mates at the Dogs already.

Doubt the Roosters can afford to sign Fifita. They have to upgrade Manu, Verrill, JWH and a few more. Doubt Fifita's mum will let him leave for NZ. Souths are out unless they can get a 100% refund on Burgess who from what I read is still hoping to get back on the field at this stage.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we shed Tolman, Holland, Elliott, Montoya, and Sue by 2021 that would free up more than another MIL. Our priorities for 2021 signings should be Tom Turbo for fullback (the Turbos said recently they will consider playing for different clubs) Latrell Mitchell at centre and David Fifita middle forward. Should be enough left over to chase Grant for hooker also. Even if Turbo gets injured we still have 2 new gamebreakers + another in Foran (at reduced salary).

I read the Broncos are already having trouble freeing up cap to sign Brodie Croft who they desperately need and they're already top heavy with forwards so doubt they can even offer Fifita 500K unless Boyd retires but why would he when he can get 800K per year over the next 2 years from the Broncs. I read Fifita likes Wollongong but not Sydney traffic. Throw me 100K a year off the books and I'll be his full time chauffeur between Kiama and Belmore. His mum can come stay whenever she wants also. Or he can room up with Devontai Seumanutafa currently playing in our Flegg / ISP teams who used to go to school with Fifita at Keebra Park. We also signed another 3 players from that school team so I presume he still has a few mates at the Dogs already.

Doubt the Roosters can afford to sign Fifita. They have to upgrade Manu, Verrill, JWH and a few more. Doubt Fifita's mum will let him leave for NZ. Souths are out unless they can get a 100% refund on Burgess who from what I read is still hoping to get back on the field at this stage.
Fifita Second Row or Lock. Prop's a waste.

Also that ~2.5m we have is already including letting go of Holland, Montoya and Sue (unless they take minimum wage to stay at the club). Not resigning Tolman and Elliott would save us ~800k (imo). That still doesn't give us enough funds to sign three 1m+ players and Harry Grant. We might be able to push a third 1m player but we ain't going to be able to sign Grant with that.

I also wouldn't do this.

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Jurbo saying last night that he and Tom still waiting for Manly to make a decent offer, not sure why they haven't put something forward yet.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Jurbo saying last night that he and Tom still waiting for Manly to make a decent offer, not sure why they haven't put something forward yet.
I don't see Manly being able to offer much more (if being able to at all) then 1m each when they already have the most expensive top three players in the league. DCE's contract also increases as the salary cap does. I think they'd be crazy to not accept a 2.5m package IF it was actually offered.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what he believes. Those are the offers he's about to receive. He also didn't rule out leaving home and Brisbane.
No but he did say he doesn’t want to go to Sydney and would rather go Wollongong dragons territory lol.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Probs waiting for other clubs to offer first to see were they stand

Banned
Reaction score
Fifita's ex schoolmates that are with us, need to sell the club to his Mum and him.
Pitch the good times they had at school footy and uniting again at club level.
Sydney with mates may be possible.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fifita's ex schoolmates that are with us, need to sell the club to his Mum and him.
Pitch the good times they had at school footy and uniting again at club level.
Sydney with mates may be possible.
We don't have to do any of that. Just pay him 1m.