The Locker Room - Jayden Okunbor

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting that he says he was never used to winning in a Bulldogs jumper as he was coming through the grades. I think this has been a problem for a lot of the guys that have come through the system under Des where losing became the norm. At least this won’t be a problem moving forward with all the junior grades being more then competitive now.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It’s interesting that he says he was never used to winning in a Bulldogs jumper as he was coming through the grades. I think this has been a problem for a lot of the guys that have come through the system under Des where losing became the norm. At least this won’t be a problem moving forward with all the junior grades being more then competitive now.
That would be a big factor in confidence and motivation to try new plays and grow as a player. Shows how neglected and under supported our lower grades had been treated by our previous regime.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That would be a big factor in confidence and motivation to try new plays and grow as a player. Shows how neglected and under supported our lower grades had been treated by our previous regime.
If you look back at our last 2 premiership winning sides a lot of the players came directly off winning Presidents Cup in 92 and we dominated pretty much every lower grade from 99-2002. Luckily things are back on track now.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
"Attitude reflects leadership..... captain.........."

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good one dreads ..!!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If you look back at our last 2 premiership winning sides a lot of the players came directly off winning Presidents Cup in 92 and we dominated pretty much every lower grade from 99-2002. Luckily things are back on track now.
It's so crucial to success and workability with the sc. Hard to figure how first Greenberg and then Des/Dib just let it all fall away.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's so crucial to success and workability with the sc. Hard to figure how first Greenberg and then Des/Dib just let it all fall away.
The way Des/Dib did things can work but you leave yourself with a tiny margin of error if you buy the wrong players and if injuries strike you’re a shot duck. They wanted instant results and backed the wrong horse with a lot of players.

I love watching a player come through the grades and make a name for himself in first grade. The fans feel more connected to that player and it feels like they are connected more to the club.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I took note of that too! It definitely makes it harder stepping up to the top grade when this expectation exists. And it showed in his performances. He was fantastic most games, but just made really basic errors, which I put down to confidence and concentration, not skill level.
Okonbur could fizzle out as an NRL player, or he could actually become something special. Let's hope it's the latter.