Opinion 2019 Recruitment Review & Ratings

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be fair, he was a pretty good signing at a bargain basement price. Solid 7-7.5
In all honesty he shits all over the guy he was bought in to replace in every category except natural athleticism. Cogger may not have the pace that Mbye has, but he's instinctively a better half. His work ethic is world's ahead. He has a variety of kicks in his arsenal. He doesn't go missing in action. He doesn't only look good when someone puts him in space. I would assume he's not on a massively inflated wage. If Cogger had the pace and acceleration of Mbye coupled with his other attributes he'd be pushing for rep duties.

We have to remember that he's relatively new to the NRL and has already shown more than Mbye did after having years to refine his skill set.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
In all honesty he shits all over the guy he was bought in to replace in every category except natural athleticism. Cogger may not have the pace that Mbye has, but he's instinctively a better half. His work ethic is world's ahead. He has a variety of kicks in his arsenal. He doesn't go missing in action. He doesn't only look good when someone puts him in space. I would assume he's not on a massively inflated wage. If Cogger had the pace and acceleration of Mbye coupled with his other attributes he'd be pushing for rep duties.

We have to remember that he's relatively new to the NRL and has already shown more than Mbye did after having years to refine his skill set.
Mbye isn't a Halfback. Mbye's a better Fullback, Five-Eighth (running), Hooker and Centre before Halfback. If they were worth the same (there is a reason why they aren't) I'd take Mbye any day of the week. You're talking up and down Cogger and Mbye respectively too much.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye isn't a Halfback. Mbye's a better Fullback, Five-Eighth (running), Hooker and Centre before Halfback. If they were worth the same (there is a reason why they aren't) I'd take Mbye any day of the week. You're talking up and down Cogger and Mbye respectively too much.
Are you fucking serious?

I would take cogger, Lewis, wakeham, hopoate, tolman and even Elliot before mbye

Mbye is the biggest pretender out there. Even tigers were looking to get rid of the chump

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Are you fucking serious?

I would take cogger, Lewis, wakeham, hopoate, tolman and even Elliot before mbye

Mbye is the biggest pretender out there. Even tigers were looking to get rid of the chump
If they were worth the same 100%. Mbye's on 950k and isn't a 1m player that's why the Tigers are trying to "get rid of the chump". I don't think Cogger is in our 17 whereas Mbye would be. Mbye was even picked for Origin this year. It's obvious you have an agenda against him.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If they were worth the same 100%. Mbye's on 950k and isn't a 1m player that's why the Tigers are trying to "get rid of the chump". I don't think Cogger is in our 17 whereas Mbye would be. Mbye was even picked for Origin this year. It's obvious you have an agenda against him.
Yeh I do have an agenda against him. After the years of shit he dished up for us, I have an agenda against him. He can't play any position and the only reason he got called up to qld is because they have no one else

Last edited:

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye is without doubt the biggest pretender to ever lace a boot for this club.

A barely above average centre at best.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

I think Cogger should cop more shit if that's what people think about Mbye. I understand fans will be biased tho. I've seen it with plenty of things.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

I think Mbye could turn into a decent centre at NRL level but that’s certainly his ceiling. He has no business being anywhere near rep footy.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Cogger should cop more shit if that's what people think about Mbye. I understand fans will be biased tho. I've seen it with plenty of things.
Please explain to me how Cogger should cop more shit than Mbye?
He’s 5 years younger, and earns 5x less. Barely 2 seasons of first grade under his belt. And has been impressive and steadily improving.

Mbye on the other hand has delivered very little despite being afforded the chance to try his hand at just about every key position on the paddock. And at the end of it all it’s been determined he’s nothing but a centre. And a pretty average centre at that, who pocketed 1M in earnings this season. Literal definition of pretender.

I’ll await your reasoning.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Please explain to me how Cogger should cop more shit than Mbye?
He’s 5 years younger, and earns 5x less. Barely 2 seasons of first grade under his belt. And has been impressive and steadily improving.

Mbye on the other hand has delivered very little despite being afforded the chance to try his hand at just about every key position on the paddock. And at the end of it all it’s been determined he’s nothing but a centre.

I’ll await your reasoning.
I said I would take Mbye over Cogger if it was for the same price (which it wouldn't be, I wonder why). That was my point and CaptainJackson didn't agree.

You can't guarantee someone improves in their second season. Reimis didn't improve much this year and a lot of people would say the same about Lewis. Martin got shipped overseas btw.

I think Cogger is very average, possibly below average for a Halfback. That's why I rather Lewis because he's one of the best defensive Halfbacks in the league and tries his hand (even if it's risky or unorthodox).

Cogger doesn't make my 17. Mbye would.

Mbye was dangerous for us at Fullback in his last season with us. I also think he could be a really good running Five-Eighth with a controlling Halfback (Hodkinson, you know the one that we let go).

I agree Mbye's best and worst are too far apart and he doesn't show his best enough but he shits on Cogger. Sorry if you don't like hearing that.

Last edited:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I said I would take Mbye over Cogger if it was for the same price (which it wouldn't be, I wonder why). That was my point and CaptainJackson didn't agree.

You can't guarantee someone improves in their second season. Reimis didn't improve much this year and a lot of people would say the same about Lewis.

I think Cogger is very average, possibly below average for a Halfback. That's why I rather Lewis because he's one of the best defensive Halfbacks in the league and tries his hand (even if it's risky or unorthodox).

Cogger doesn't make my 17. Mbye would.

Mbye was dangerous for us at Fullback in his last season with us. I also think he could be a really good running Five-Eighth with a controlling Halfback (Hodkinson, you know the one that we let go).
Fucking facepalm

Here we go with the defensive half shit again @Mbappé2020

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fucking facepalm

Here we go with the defensive half shit again @Mbappé2020
If you rate Cogger so highly why is he not starting and Lewis is being picked over him? Those are the two main reasons for me (defence and tries his hand) . Like I said Cogger is very average, possibly below average. Lewis has more potential for me.

This isn't a Lewis vs Cogger thread anyways. Cogger vs Mbye which is honestly in my eyes ridiculous to even try and justify wanting Cogger > Mbye if it was for the same price. Mbye is a better player end of story really.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mbye plays hide and seek at an elite level. He's very good at talking himself up as well. We have three better fullbacks at the club in DWZ, Meaney and Hopoate. As I said earlier, if someone creates space for him he's quick enough to take advantage of it. But as a half with many years of experience his kicking game is rubbish and he lacks vision. In my opinion he is the luckiest player to have ever made an origin team.

I may or may not have an agenda against him. But I don't think it's unwarranted. I watched many games where players like Tolman and Graham would chase players that were closer to mbye when they made line breaks. Situations where he might have caught them if he'd tried because two of our slowest players made ground on them while Mbye would mentally clock off and watch them score. I also recall seeing him go into hiding whenever the team faced tough opponents.

There were games when the rest of the team dominated and he'd score some opportunistic tries. I did enjoy seeing those tries, but they were few and far between because he didn't seem to care after we gave him a long term contract for big money. I'll take a less athletic Cogger 7 days a week over any player that doesn't seem to have a work ethic during games.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mbye plays hide and seek at an elite level. He's very good at talking himself up as well. We have three better fullbacks at the club in DWZ, Meaney and Hopoate. As I said earlier, if someone creates space for him he's quick enough to take advantage of it. But as a half with many years of experience his kicking game is rubbish and he lacks vision. In my opinion he is the luckiest player to have ever made an origin team.

I may or may not have an agenda against him. But I don't think it's unwarranted. I watched many games where players like Tolman and Graham would chase players that were closer to mbye when they made line breaks. Situations where he might have caught them if he'd tried because two of our slowest players made ground on them while Mbye would mentally clock off and watch them score. I also recall seeing him go into hiding whenever the team faced tough opponents.

There were games when the rest of the team dominated and he'd score some opportunistic tries. I did enjoy seeing those tries, but they were few and far between because he didn't seem to care after we gave him a long term contract for big money. I'll take a less athletic Cogger 7 days a week over any player that doesn't seem to have a work ethic during games.
I don't agree with a lot of what you're saying and obviously people that know football don't either. One player is on a minimum wage opportunist contract (that doesn't make our 17, zero minutes off the bench doesn't count) and one is on almost 1m and played Origin this year (Yes I agree he isn't worth that but he'd get 400k easy at another club). Those are the facts really.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't agree with a lot of what you're saying and obviously people that know football don't either. One player is on a minimum wage opportunist contract (that doesn't make our 17, zero minutes off the bench doesn't count) and one is on almost 1m and played Origin this year (Yes I agree he isn't worth that but he'd get 400k easy at another club). Those are the facts really.
The facts are that this club woke up to itself and got rid of him as soon as our new regime had the opportunity to do so.

Then within 6 months of pretending at the Tigers, they’d identified Corey Thompson as a far superior option at fullback.

Deadset he’d go through 80 minutes most games running the ball 5 times for 32 metres. As Alan mentioned above - talks a huge game in the media, and delivers precious little on the field. Cat.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The facts are that this club woke up to itself and got rid of him as soon as our new regime had the opportunity to do so.

Then within 6 months of pretending at the Tigers, they’d identified Corey Thompson as a far superior option at fullback.

Deadset he’d go through 80 minutes most games running the ball 5 times for 32 metres. As Alan mentioned above - talks a huge game in the media, and delivers precious little on the field. Cat.
Not true at all. We moved on as many of our players on big $ as we could. Mbye was one of the players that other clubs wanted believe it or not.

Even with all that (if true) he's valued higher then Cogger. How bad is Cogger?

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you fucking serious?

Agree
I’d take Elliot’s gay brother Billy before Mbye.
We fucked him off and he can stay fucked off.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
By your logic in other threads if you see him as being worth $400k you'd pay him $600k then. And I take some offence at you saying I don't know football. Perspective on any players attributes are widely varied. I personally think that you have no idea with your views about many things. I try to avoid pointing out that I think you are clueless though. I've been watching the game for most of my life and have my own opinions. They're not always going to match those of others. But it doesn't make them less valid. Unlike you I am prepared to discuss things without the need to offer personal insult when others disagree with my opinion.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
By your logic in other threads if you see him as being worth $400k you'd pay him $600k then. And I take some offence at you saying I don't know football. Perspective on any players attributes are widely varied. I personally think that you have no idea with your views about many things. I try to avoid pointing out that I think you are clueless though. I've been watching the game for most of my life and have my own opinions. They're not always going to match those of others. But it doesn't make them less valid. Unlike you I am prepared to discuss things without the need to offer personal insult when others disagree with my opinion.
You don't know football.

You're now moving the goal posts. We're not an attraction for talent wanted by other clubs so we have to pay overs. The higher the player is valued the extra we have to pay (it isn't a blank 200-300k for everyone). I'm not sure why you're bringing this up when it isn't relevant.

Did I personally insult you? I tried really hard not to but it's hard when dealing with morons.