News Diamond Dogs! Canterbury set to launch $14 million bid for Turbo twins and David Fifita

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we actually offer what is reported it's a real possibility they leave Manly. If they were that loyal why haven't they resigned before November. They've pushed off resigned since the middle of the year. IF.
Because its smart!!
The more offers they get the more money their manager can get for them..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Because its smart!!
The more offers they get the more money their manager can get for them..
So money is an incentive. How much more money can the Sea Eagles really put into them? Worst case scenario we just bump Manly having to pay an extra 100-200k as long as we're somewhat serious. I personally think if they were "loyal" (doesn't really exist in today's game) then both would of accepted 1m offers. They still have a few days to I guess. Announcing the day before November would be a massive tease.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't believe the figures relating to the Trbojevic brothers one bit and put that all down to media sensationalism.

I understand we'd have to offer significantly more to entice them but Tom is barely worth $1 million because of his constant injuries and 4 games a year where he makes 6 errors. Jake is great but is worth 900k max. The figures they've made up are complete bullshit.

Either way I think they'll stay at Manly or join the Roosters or Souths. I can't see them joining us. I'd rather Fifita and Papenhuyzen but we won't be getting those two either.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Jackson deserves a 700k contract imo. Jake overall is a better player then Jackson and also a potential Captain in the future (the only reason why he isn't atm is because of DCE). Jake is a mainstay in all rep teams. Jackson doesn't make rep teams. Jake can also help out the Halves (best ball playing Lock in the game), an area where we're struggling and not going to be able to strengthen even if we wanted to really.
Agree with this, the problem I still have are the numbers. There’s simply no way we’re getting 4 x $1m players. 2 would be max and even then you’d want to be buying superstars. Cronk, Smith, JT etc didn’t earn top dollar in their early 20’s, why should these blokes? It’s a risk.

In my view Mitchell is unpredictable/unreliable, Fifita too young to see that sort of coin and the Turbos even if money talks/walks I think $2.5m a year is crazy coin for just about anyone but especially for two lads whose hearts will always be in Manly.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has he really!
Thats a shame if he has.
The poor bloke didn’t look anything like the player he was before cancer and struggled to get a game in Flegg. Hopefully he can go home and get back to where he was at before his treatment.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Agree with this, the problem I still have are the numbers. There’s simply no way we’re getting 4 x $1m players. 2 would be max and even then you’d want to be buying superstars. Cronk, Smith, JT etc didn’t earn top dollar in their early 20’s, why should these blokes? It’s a risk.

In my view Mitchell is unpredictable/unreliable, Fifita too young to see that sort of coin and the Turbos even if money talks/walks I think $2.5m a year is crazy coin for just about anyone but especially for two lads whose hearts will always be in Manly.
Yeah four is ridiculous. I think Hooper meant three (Latrell is a possibility if we missed out on someone for e.g.) which is only possible if we moved on two to three players out of Tolman, Foran, Hopoate and Elliott. I've crunched the numbers using what I think players will be retained and on what (which by no means is 100%) and I believe we have about 2.5m to spend. I would personally only buy one 1m player (Latrell) and recruit in more areas to have a more balanced side (e.g. Hooker, Prop, Winger).

There really isn't any 100% game winners (experienced spine players) on the market. Tom Trbojevic is probably the closest (Fullback is a 1m position imo, Tom would demand 1.4m). We're going to have to buy players so will be interesting to see how this pans out and what we go with.

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rorters or Souffs, surely. Doesn't he hate the Dogs, thanks to the pieman?
He said scoring against Dogs and Knights were extra sweet as both rejected him in juniors.

Not a deal breaker IMO

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't believe the figures relating to the Trbojevic brothers one bit and put that all down to media sensationalism.

I understand we'd have to offer significantly more to entice them but Tom is barely worth $1 million because of his constant injuries and 4 games a year where he makes 6 errors. Jake is great but is worth 900k max. The figures they've made up are complete bullshit.

Either way I think they'll stay at Manly or join the Roosters or Souths. I can't see them joining us. I'd rather Fifita and Papenhuyzen but we won't be getting those two either.
Spot on really. Both great players. Don't see either of them coming. Nor other 'big name' players.

Whether we agree with the approach by the club that we're going to target players with a certain skill set, attitude, background, desire etc. that matches what our club and if it doesn't we're not going to go after them. Everthing coming out from the club points to us getting players that WANT to be here, rather than those who have options to play elsewhere for bigger money. 'Big name' players will involve a bidding war which is something I don't forsee us getting involved in.

Again, don't know whether this is the right approach by the club but I do see what they're trying to do and gotta support it. Some on here want to harp on about paying 200,000 extra etc. and that is all well and good but clearly we can all see the club isn't going to do that.

I know if I had a 30 inch shlong I'd be able to pleasure my wife a lot more ... but it's not going to magically grow that long nor do I wish to get an extension ... so it's something I don't bother thinking or entertaining I mean, what's the point ... ? Why people keep finding the need to live in fairy land about our potential signings is beyond me ...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Spot on really. Both great players. Don't see either of them coming. Nor other 'big name' players.

Whether we agree with the approach by the club that we're going to target players with a certain skill set, attitude, background, desire etc. that matches what our club and if it doesn't we're not going to go after them. Everthing coming out from the club points to us getting players that WANT to be here, rather than those who have options to play elsewhere for bigger money. 'Big name' players will involve a bidding war which is something I don't forsee us getting involved in.

Again, don't know whether this is the right approach by the club but I do see what they're trying to do and gotta support it. Some on here want to harp on about paying 200,000 extra etc. and that is all well and good but clearly we can all see the club isn't going to do that.

I know if I had a 30 inch shlong I'd be able to pleasure my wife a lot more ... but it's not going to magically grow that long nor do I wish to get an extension ... so it's something I don't bother thinking or entertaining I mean, what's the point ... ? Why people keep finding the need to live in fairy land about our potential signings is beyond me ...
We don't know that until November tho. Everything could change when November hits. If it doesn't I'm going to start to worry.

matthew

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Jake Trobjevic for me he just kills it every week and in origin and internationals. He cuts fuckers in half constantly and has the biggest motor and keeps going, he supports all the time, he has ball playing skill he fights for the ball in the air and by the sea and on the the land he will never surrender

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Jake Trobjevic for me he just kills it every week and in origin and internationals. He cuts fuckers in half constantly and has the biggest motor and keeps going, he supports all the time, he has ball playing skill he fights for the ball in the air and by the sea and on the the land he will never surrender
He does all that and plays 80 minutes.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let's all face it...
Yes...We will have a lot of money to spend..
Yes...We have a lot of players coming off contract..
It doesn't mean we throw two thirds of the salary cap on 3 or 4 players !!!
We have to make sure that players we sign... wear our Jersey with honour !!!
Otherwise we will have a repeat of Hitler & She-Rex :rage:
Never forget...There are great cheaper options out there.
We just have to be smart !!!

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Let's all face it...
Yes...We will have a lot of money to spend..
Yes...We have a lot of players coming of contract..
It doesn't mean we throw two thirds of the salary cap on 3 or 4 players !!!
We have to make sure that players we sign... wear our Jersey with honour !!!
Otherwise we will have a repeat of Hitler & She-Rex :rage:
Never forget...There are great cheaper options out there.
We just have to be smart !!!
Have you seen how players play against their teammates in representative teams? They're ruthless. As soon as they're here they'll be a Bulldog. There are great cheap options out there but we're not going to get them for cheap cheap.

matthew

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Im telling you Jake Trobjevic is worth his weight in gold, stop looking at your flash players and look for out and out footballers

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Im telling you Jake Trobjevic is worth his weight in gold, stop looking at your flash players and look for out and out footballers
1.1m for Jake isn't bad at all. The problem is we're not getting him without his brother which will demand 1.4m. Both those signings will be the remaining $ in our cap (imo) unless we move on Tolman, Foran, Hopoate and Elliott (all a part of our leadership group?). I'm not against it. I'd rather we build a more complete squad tho (~four signings, one 1m signing).

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is over hyped. Fonua Blake and Tapau (to a lesser extent) give Manly all of their go forward and ruck speed.

The last thing we are going to do is spend big money on a forward when we need a centre and a half back.

matthew

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Turbo brothers will split just like the Morris bros. Money and salary cap wins out in the end

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Turbo brothers will split just like the Morris bros. Money and salary cap wins out in the end
If we want Jake by himself we're looking at 1.2-1.3m. An extra 100k without setting his brother up as well isn't going to cut it.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Have you seen how players play against their teammates in representative teams? They're ruthless. As soon as they're here they'll be a Bulldog. There are great cheap options out there but we're not going to get them for cheap cheap.
Too much Money does funny things to some people

Banned
Reaction score
I hope that we cause a massive bidding war for marquee players, forcing teams to either shed juniors we're interested in, or they all go to the Rorters, thus leaving it logically impossible that they're not cheating! (which also will force a firesale)

Talks of $1m+ for a single player though is stupid, particularly if they're injury prone!