News Meet the Wests Tigers’ answer to Nick Politis.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
New Zealand businessman Neville Crichton, a New Zealand car tycoon worth $400 million, is ready to rescue Wests Tigers’ financial concerns and guide the club to rugby league’s promised land.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Tigers have been working for the past three months to convince Crichton to join the club as a key sponsor and business associate.

Crichton, 74, is close friends with Balmain legend Ben Elias.

Neville Crichton could lend the Leichhardt club some new glamour.

Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe has confirmed the club’s interest in luring former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s next-door neighbour at Point Piper to Concord.

A passionate All Blacks rugby union fan, Crichton enjoys a strong friendship with Politis, who also made his $1.5 billion wealth through cars.

“Neville could be Wests Tigers’ new Nick Politis,” Elias said. “I’m trying to woo him from the All Blacks to Wests Tigers.”

A meeting between Pascoe, Elias and Crichton was postponed last week and rescheduled for the first week of November.

Rich lists value Crichton’s worth at $400 million, although other business analysts estimate his wealth could be close to $2 billion.

Wests Tigers already boast a high-profile network of businessmen and supporters including Lee Hagipantelis, principal of Brydens Lawyers, billionaire real estate developer Harry Triguboff, former NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell — who is club chairman — and John Coates, well-known lawyer and administrator.

Crichton has run and developed major automotive and property companies while also being a world class yachtsman who skippered a Sydney to Hobart win and a motor racing driver who competed at Bathurst in 1986.

His amazing wealth came through founding the Ateco Group, which imports highbrow car brands including Suzuki, Audi, Volkswagen, Citroen, Alfa Romeo, Kia, Fiat, Ferrari and Maserati.

“We hope to sit down and lure a very passionate rugby man across to a rival code,” said Pascoe. “Benny and I have been working on this for a couple of months now. We are always interested in high network, but more importantly, influential and passionate people.

“Neville has obviously been very successful in everything he has done and does. Certainly, having someone of his stature and accomplishment associated with our club would give us a lot more power.

“It’s not just financial. Neville has an exceptional record of success and success breeds success. We are always interested in seeking counsel and advice from people that have been successful.

“If we can get learnings from them or get into their network, that’s just as important — sometimes more important — than any financial contribution. Neville would add to what already is a pretty influential network at the club. We value them.

Elias added: “We are trying to broker a deal with the great Neville Crichton. We may have another car baron in rugby league. He is a rugby union fanatic but we want to woo him to rugby league. He and I have been friends forever. Justin and I have been working overtime to make this happen.”

In Australia, Crichton distributes Maserati while remodelling Ram Trucks into right-hand drive for sale in New Zealand and Australia. In 2017,

Crichton used Tigers legend Steve Roach to advertise his company during the mid-1980s.

“I’d be over-the-moon if he helped Wests Tigers. It’s about time the club started using Benny’s contacts. Who Benny doesn’t know, isn’t worth knowing,” Roach said.

In 2012, Crichton was awarded a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to yachting and business.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/0ab010c72b872b53ee75daba187e8429

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember when Harry Triguboff was supposed to be that guy.

Thing about these white knights - they are only good as long as they are remain interested in their plaything. Once they get bored with it, or start losing their millions, or go broke, the club is in a worse spot than before...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember when Harry Triguboff was supposed to be that guy.

Thing about these white knights - they are only good as long as they are remain interested in their plaything. Once they get bored with it, or start losing their millions, or go broke, the club is in a worse spot than before...
Any kind of business venture with Backdoor Benny involved should have the alarm bells ringing!

I doubt this bloke is going to get his cheque book out and start throwing millions the Tigers way after one meeting anyway.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wait wait wait. Just a minute, I can't believe this, this report is a complete crock! Since when has KIA been considered a "high-brow" car brand?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tigers ain't going anywhere

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nathan Tinkler did a great a job at the Knights.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
He can probably solve their financial problems, but he's not a billionaire like Politis who throws brown paper bags at people who also happens to have all the chief NRL powerbrokers, including Greenturd, in his back pocket.

Let's remember this... Politis is the CEO of the NRL, he just gets Todd Greenturd to wear the suit.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He can probably solve their financial problems, but he's not a billionaire like Politis who throws brown paper bags at people who also happens to have all the chief NRL powerbrokers, including Greenturd, in his back pocket.

Let's remember this... Politis is the CEO of the NRL, he just gets Todd Greenturd to wear the suit.
He is a billionaire

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He’s most likely a billionaire. He’s 400m on AFR list but that’s put together by journos. The numbers are grossly wrong, but they do their best. They can only use what’s public.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tigers fly so under the shitness radar because of 2005... they are seriously the biggest failure of a club who you never really expect a lot from... I don't know how they will attract players even with this tycoon on the scene

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tigers fly so under the shitness radar because of 2005... they are seriously the biggest failure of a club who you never really expect a lot from... I don't know how they will attract players even with this tycoon on the scene
But they got Reynolds and Mbye... Smmmff sorry I couldn't say that without laughing, I tried.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This has a strong smell of desperation about it.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The big difference is Politis has a true passion for the Rorters.. just like Bullfrog for us and Arko for Manly..

These 3 were genuine club patriachs.. didnt have to be wooed and convinced to join the club..

Last edited:

Banned
Reaction score
Suzuki = premium brand?
Bahaha
Hopefully this results in West and Balmain splitting, with the later relegated to Canterbury Cup!