Need help with a plan

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My modem died last night a horrible death and now I have no home internets.

I'm gonna do the switch and get NBN

Anyone recommend a company /plan?

Leaning towards tpg

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Leaning towards tpg
I had TPG and now prefer Dodo.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Leaning towards tpg
DON'T DO TPG. Worst service you can get. I have Bigpond...

• They'll send you their Gateway Modem and organise the NBN to send you their modem (that's right, you get 2 modems and 2 Wi-Fi networks to connect to)
  • They arrange an NBN technician to come to your home to do the cabling from your home to the telephone line on the street etc...
  • We have 1500GB per month (don't use anywhere near that though, and that includes watching netflix and using the internet everyday)
  • We have unlimited phone calls from our landline phone to local and national numbers including mobiles (13 numbers are extra though)
  • Phone line rent included
  • Free phones call between phone numbers on the same plan as us
  • $99 per month

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I use TPG and haven't had an issue with them but it depends on your location. There are some areas that internet runs better on certain providers.

TPG, Vodafone and Aussie Broadband are generally the highest rated nationwide but it's best to check your area to see what others say.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score

• They'll send you their Gateway Modem and organise the NBN to send you their modem (that's right, you get 2 modems and 2 Wi-Fi networks to connect to)
  • They arrange an NBN technician to come to your home to do the cabling from your home to the telephone line on the street etc...
  • We have 1500GB per month (don't use anywhere near that though, and that includes watching netflix and using the internet everyday)
  • We have unlimited phone calls from our landline phone to local and national numbers including mobiles (13 numbers are extra though)
  • $99 per month
$99 a month? Are you on a 100 speed plan? $99 sounds incredibly expensive especially for a capped data plan.

My apartment is about to be NBN ready and I've seen 50 speed plans with unlimited data for $69 a month.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm with iiNet unlimited downloads for $60 p/m.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Been with TPG for 3 years now, no problems. 70 a month for the 2nd fastest plan.

Plus apparently I'm the only house hooked up to the node or some shit so I get speeds faster than I pay for lol

Wahesh

Reaction score
$99 a month? Are you on a 100 speed plan? $99 sounds incredibly expensive especially for a capped data plan.

My apartment is about to be NBN ready and I've seen 50 speed plans with unlimited data for $69 a month.
$99 isn't just for the NBN... it's for the phone service and line rent too as well as installation etc. Keep in mind we're with Telstra too!

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
$99 isn't just for the NBN... it's for the phone service and line rent too as well as installation etc. Keep in mind we're with Telstra too!
Why do you have a phone line as well? Mobile plans these days often include a certain amount of free overseas phone calls to many countries.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

• $99 per month
We got fibre to the house must have been lucky

Wahesh

Reaction score
Why do you have a phone line as well? Mobile plans these days often include a certain amount of free overseas phone calls to many countries.
We need a home phone line... can't rely on mobiles lol. We use WhatsApp if we want to talk to relos overseas or anything like that. Also Facebook allows you to call someone.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPG is fine. I've had it for 2yrs and never had a drama.
Alot has to do with your location though. A guy I know who lives a short distance from me had Telstra and said it was shit. Was dropping out alot and Telstra was blaming the modem.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Paying $99 with Telstra, but that includes basic Foxtel.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
From what i've seen Telstra and Optus charge a premium on their internet plans that doesn't seem to translate to anything of value (e.g. faster internet speeds)

I'm likely to sign up with TPG for broadband when our building gets connected in December this year.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Paying $99 with Telstra, but that includes basic Foxtel.
Well I get the NRL games and AFL games - not that I watch any of it (yep... I don't even watch the NRL, I'm so over it).

Wahesh

Reaction score
From what i've seen Telstra and Optus charge a premium on their internet plans that doesn't seem to translate to anything of value (e.g. faster internet speeds)

I'm likely to sign up with TPG for broadband when our building gets connected in December this year.
My mate was with TPG for 2 years and lived literally next door to the exchange - you'd think he would have lightning fast internet. Nope... it was the worst internet service he's ever had.

With Telstra you're paying for quality more than anything else. We've been Telstra customers for decades with no interest in changing.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Been with TPG for about 4 years. 60/month unlimited NBN FTTP.

Can't complain. Moved twice in that time and got a new modem for free and no contract extensions just by talking to them. Good customer service for us too.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We need a home phone line... can't rely on mobiles lol. We use WhatsApp if we want to talk to relos overseas or anything like that. Also Facebook allows you to call someone.
I think home phone line is cheaper to have than not to.. well it was that way when I hooked up a year ago. Got the phone line but nothing hooked up to it

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Telstra charge me $99 per month unlimited NBN and Foxtel base package

Get Telstra , even they have their issues but if even telstra have their glitches the other providers have no chance. Telstra will be by far the most reliable

Tpg and all those dodgy internet providers are unreliable. When it goes pear shaped (and it will) it goes really pear shaped.. their service is horrendous and the speeds will be all over the shop