Fox Sports Diamond Dogs! Canterbury set to launch $14 million bid for Turbo twins and David Fifita

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Diamond Dogs! Canterbury set to launch $14 million bid for Turbo twins and David Fifita

The Bulldogs are about to launch a spending spree.
The Bulldogs are about to launch a spending spree.
The cashed-up Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs are preparing to open the cheque book for 2021 with the club set to launch a $14 million raid on Manly’s Trobjevic brothers and Brisbane Broncos teenage superstar David Fifita.

Fox Sports has learned the Bulldogs plan to try to entice Jake and Tom Trobjevic away from the Sea Eagles by tabling a four-year package deal worth $10 million for the NSW State of Origin siblings.

Canterbury-Bankstown officials also intend to offer Junior Kangaroos captain Fifita a four-year deal worth $1 million per season.

The Bulldogs have been in a salary cap debacle for the past two years but will finally be able to become a serious player again for the 2021 season.

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay told NRL 360 earlier this year the club needed to sit back and bide its time before making a major play for some big-name recruits.

Fox Sports has been told Tom Trobjevic will be offered a deal worth around the $1.4 million per season mark while brother Jake will be offered around $1.1 million.

The Bulldogs made contact with the Trobjevic brothers’ agent, Paul Sutton, in August to set up a meeting but the club was told the Sea Eagles siblings were not interested in leaving Manly.

Irrespective, the Bulldogs plan to again pursue the negotiations as the November 1 deadline looms for rival clubs to register contracts for 2021.

Canterbury-Bankstown and the Sea Eagles have a volatile recent history in terms of contract negotiations, with the Bulldogs famously enticing coach Des Hasler to leave Manly in 2012 after guiding the Sea Eagles to a premiership.

Hasler then steered Canterbury-Bankstown to two grand finals in 2012 and 2014 before being sacked by the club at the end of the 2016 season.

The two-time premiership-winning coach then successfully sued the Bulldogs for a figure believed to be more than $1 million after the club had earlier agreed to give him a two-year extension for 2017 and 2018.

The Bulldogs will also join the likes of the Roosters, Rabbitohs and Warriors in attempting to land the prized signature of Broncos young gun Fifita.

And don’t discount Canterbury-Bankstown still being interested in signing Roosters and Kangaroos centre Latrell Mitchell.

The Bulldogs made an approach to Mitchell through a third-party midway through the year and floated the possibility of a 10-year-deal to switch to Belmore.

A five-year deal was also discussed with the offer believed to be valued at more than $1 million per season.

The Bulldogs will no doubt try and deny the figures being thrown up for 2021 but Fox Sports has spoken to Canterbury-Bankstown officials who have confirmed the club’s interest in the Trobjevic brothers and Fifita.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
SO we are dropping our Top 30 to 20 haha to fit all under the cap.
If we pull this off it will go down in the ages lol.
3.5mil on 3 players yeah why not.

Edit: woah and not ruling out Mitchell. Fark...

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
SO we are dropping our Top 30 to 20 haha to fit all under the cap.
If we pull this off it will go down in the ages lol.
3.5mil on 3 players yeah why not.

Edit: woah and not ruling out Mitchell. Fark...
Exactly, we're not the fucking Roosters.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
There’s about 6 major errors in that article

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not 1 quote as usual fmd can we sign someone to stop these useless ***** writing shit

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As much as I'd love an up yours to Des, does anyone else reckon Tom on 1.4mil is a huge gamble? Gun player when fit but that's the big concern.

We could get Manu and Thompson for that amount. Throw in Fifita and possibly Wighton (for the money that was to be spent on Jake)?

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As much as I'd love an up yours to Des, does anyone else reckon Tom on 1.4mil is a huge gamble? Gun player when fit but that's the big concern.

We could get Manu and Thompson for that amount. Throw in Fifita and possibly Wighton (for the money that was to be spent on Jake)?
Agree, huge gamble mate.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lol Hooper talking shit. He has written the same article 6 times in 6 months.

I predict we get none of these guys lol.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree, huge gamble mate.
Apply the amount of games Tom played this year (12) to 1.4mil which is approx 115k a game which is what some get paid per season.

What we learnt this year is every single game counts, can't afford to have our best team for half of the season.

By no means will I be pissed if we sign them, but I've been through enough pain with Foran.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth but personally I’d prefer spending some money on Manu and Staggs/Xerri in the centres and David Fafita anywhere he wants to play, and still have some change left over for a quality 9 or some muscle up front. I like the turbo brothers but at the price tag I think we can do better for the balance of the squad.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth but personally I’d prefer spending some money on Manu and Staggs/Xerri in the centres and David Fafita anywhere he wants to play, and still have some change left over for a quality 9 or some muscle up front. I like the turbo brothers but at the price tag I think we can do better for the balance of the squad.
Yep any 2/3 of them and possibly Thompson and would still have around a 750- 1 mil spare.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep any 2/3 of them and possibly Thompson and would still have around a 750- 1 mil spare.
Yep mate another 12mths and hopefully a few of the rookies develop further and it’s a decent looking squad for 2021.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I doubt we will get the turbo’s but we may send manly broke trying to retain them. Fifita though you never know cause broncos wouldn’t be able to offer anywhere near what is being asked unless they shed players.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I doubt we will get the turbo’s but we may send manly broke trying to retain them. Fifita though you never know cause broncos wouldn’t be able to offer anywhere near what is being asked unless they shed players.
Fifita signing will come down to 1: whether we want him, 2: Roosters, Warriors, Rabbitohs, etc. don't also offer him 1m - he isn't going to pick us over Roosters or Rabbitohs.