Injury-free Kieran Foran primed for return to New Zealand side to take on Great Britain

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kieran Foran can’t remember the last time he was injury-free in October.
Now, not only is he pain-free, but the veteran playmaker is on the cusp of making just his second appearance for New Zealand since 2015. Foran was left out of the 17-man line-up to face Australia in Wollongong on Friday, however the Canterbury star certainly isn’t far away from a Kiwis return.

The world No. 3-ranked nation is instead likely to recall their former skipper when they host Great Britain on home soil over the next two weeks. The 29-year-old was back up on the NSW Central Coast with his family when New Zealand coach Michael Maguire delivered the good news.

“I think the last three seasons, at least, I’ve had surgeries at the back end of the year. There’s been a bit I’ve had to deal with,” Foran told AAP. “But this time I didn’t have any surgeries and I feel really good.”

Foran’s selection comes a decade after he made his international debut in 2009. He has since pulled on the black-and-white jumper on 20 occasions, with 19 of them coming prior to their mid-year win over Australia in 2015. His only New Zealand appearance since then was in 2017, with injuries curtailing the back end of a man once considered one of the game’s premier players.

This season with Canterbury was no different, having been limited to just 14 games due to a combination of ankle, hamstring and calf injuries. Foran, who is set to enter the final year of his deal with at the Bulldogs, said he has become accustomed to people doubting his body.

“It’s a frequently asked question. It is what it is. I’ve had a lot of injuries over my career and that’s just part and parcel of it,” he said.

“You just gotta keep picking yourself up, dusting yourself off, trying to get the body stronger each time, and make those injuries less and less frequent.” He, too, questioned whether he would ever represent his nation again.

“I suppose I wasn’t too sure when I’d get the chance to be back,” he said.

“And now to be back, it’s an honour and privilege and something you definitely don’t take for granted. You’ve got to cherish it every time.”

He also draws inspiration from 34-year-old Benji Marshall, who this week reclaimed the captaincy despite considering retirement the past two years. “It shows that you just gotta hang in there and keep fighting for what you believe in, and backing your ability,” Foran said.

“A guy like him, to come out the other side and now be captaining his country again, it’s great for him and great for the game.”

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd love to see him playing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Almost any other player and I'd be hyped about them not needing off season surgery, but with Foran I'm honestly spooked lol. How can he NOT need surgery after spending a season moving around the way he did. Bloke is cooked, club should've pulled the pin on this asap.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If he cops a long term injury playing for NZ we'll get salary cap compensation... just saying.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he cops a long term injury playing for NZ we'll get salary cap compensation... just saying.
Long term wont do us any favours really, he's off contract next year anyway.

In all honesty, hope he gets through uninjured and has a full pre-season and fires for us all of next season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Na he will just get injured and miss preseason and be unfit for the 5726262 season in a row.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
All the best to him. I hope it builds his confidence back and he stays injury free

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost any other player and I'd be hyped about them not needing off season surgery, but with Foran I'm honestly spooked lol. How can he NOT need surgery after spending a season moving around the way he did. Bloke is cooked, club should've pulled the pin on this asap.
He definitely had crook legs in those last few games especially. Still, with a possible Test or two coming up, there's still plenty of time for off-season surgeries.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
he will get injured sure as shit.... not being negative, just honest

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He definitely had crook legs in those last few games especially. Still, with a possible Test or two coming up, there's still plenty of time for off-season surgeries.
I'm just sooooo over the Foran saga, never wanted him anywhere near the club. Honestly these articles are the equivalent of Kasianos weightloss ones hahaha.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
he will get injured sure as shit.... not being negative, just honest
You just cant help but feel that way... Here's wishing his on the sidelines cheering on, fukn play Bunji instead.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Sydemosis incoming, hope he gets through unscathed.... But honestly he owes the club a full off season and season proper.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm just sooooo over the Foran saga, never wanted him anywhere near the club. Honestly these articles are the equivalent of Kasianos weightloss ones hahaha.
Or Reynolds passion lol

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah fuckin hell.... with all the time he's missed on a $1m contract for us, we all know whats going to happen.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Love to see him get through unscathed plays a full 2020 gets back to his best and takes a monster paycut to extend.

Ok I know i'll wake up now

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Ok, I will admit to only reading the first line of the article BUT I'm certain that I read the exact same thing or similar last year about no injuries leading into a season for him???