Star centre Joey Manu happy at Roosters but admits he has to find out his true worth

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Daily Telegraph

Subscriber only

October 23, 2019

Sydney Roosters star Joseph Manu is keen to discover his worth on the open market but that doesn’t mean he wants to leave the NRL premiers.

Manu will be among a host of players who will be officially eligible to field offers from rival clubs when he enters the final year of his contract next week.
In the four seasons since making his debut in 2016, Manu’s built an impressive resume: two premiership rings and five Tests for New Zealand.

The 23-year-old is set to add to his international tally over the next month, beginning with Friday’s Test against the Kangaroos in Wollongong.

But once the Test schedule is over, Manu is intent on sorting out his future by the time he returns for day one of the Roosters’ pre-season.
He revealed the club had opened talks on an extension midway through the year.

“But I wanted to do it after just to focus on footy. I’ve obviously got a few weeks left there, so I’ll be doing it after that,” Manu told AAP.

“It’ll be something I hope to get out of the way quickly. Hopefully all things go to plan. I’m excited and happy where I’m at.

“We’ve won two years in a row, so why would you leave?”

But while remaining in Bondi is his No.1 preference, Manu intends to be open- minded about how much interest he can attract across the league. For the first time in his life, the classy centre has options.

“It is a lot different because obviously when I signed my other ones I wasn’t really where I’m at today. There wasn’t much interest (from) other clubs,” Manu said.

“Now, you gotta know what you’re worth and what you want to do in the future. At the moment I’m happy at the Roosters so that’s where I want to be.

“But I mean, anything can happen.”
Asked if he’d consider all deals on the table, Manu said: “Pretty much, for sure.”

One factor that will weigh heavily in his decision is his relationship with coach Trent Robinson, who is signed with the club until the end of 2022.

“Besides (Kiwis coach Michael Maguire), Robbo’s been my only coach. To have him as a coach is pretty cool,” Manu said.

“He’s been massive for me. I love having him as my coach.”

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Only 23, Roosters wont be paying overs at all they never do maybe a side gig at one of Polis car yards advertising for $100k a year 2 days a year. Sign a 2 year deal with what they will offer get that very high chance of a third premiership then take up the big overs. Already achieved more then what most set out to do in a career but another couple years will get him an even higher value next time around on a long term deal somewhere.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only 23, Roosters wont be paying overs at all they never do maybe a side gig at one of Polis car yards advertising for $100k a year 2 days a year. Sign a 2 year deal with what they will offer get that very high chance of a third premiership then take up the big overs. Already achieved more then what most set out to do in a career but another couple years will get him an even higher value next time around on a long term deal somewhere.
We have to be careful with that, you’ll get hammered by some with those accusations!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I would ejaculate in my pants and not clean up until later that day if we signed him.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we can get him for an extra 100-200K (700K) on what we'd spend on Leilua (500-600K) we'd be mad not to throw him an offer
I’d love to see him at the dogs. It would be for 2021 though

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Id love him here but wouldn't go over 700k for him, great player in attack and defence but not exactly a match winner to warrant anything higher than that. Great piece to add to the team whilst rebuilding.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“Now, you gotta know what you’re worth and what you want to do in the future. At the moment I’m happy at the Roosters so that’s where I want to be.

“But I mean, anything can happen.”
Asked if he’d consider all deals on the table, Manu said: “Pretty much, for sure.”

As soon as he uttered those words, he received a package delivery at home wrapped in brown paper bags!