Gilded
Reaction score
Tough decision I wouldn’t live in any of them,all the best

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m from NZ obviously lol. And a kiwi obviously.. and I’m afraid too say Auckland is a shit hole haha.. so many nicer places in nz to live ..!! DO NOT GO TO AUCKLAND...!!

Melbourne like most have stated lol.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Geez any other options lol
You sound happy in Melbourne
Auckland seems just because of family and same with Sydney
Tough decisions bro, family is so helpful when Bub comes along
I can’t split em for various reasons , good luck tho mate!
Not an easy decision at all

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Cheers bro. Don't get me wrong, Auckland was a nice place to live, but it was for kids and oldies. Adults between 18-45 suffer big time (No offence to any Kiwis here). It was like living life in Reserve Grade haha

And you're right on all points there. Sydney and Melbourne, I can make a living on a single income here. There's a big future in Sydney and Melbourne, so jobs and money is swirling everywhere.

As for family, this is the toughest bit. My mum is an angel and she'd be amazing to have around. My mum is just your typical born and bred carer... does it with her eyes closed. My fiance knows this and we've spoken of the idea of setting up a granny flat for her down the track wherever we decide to live. My mum was fucked over big time by my dad (No pun intended lol) and she's been left in a position where no matter what happens from here, she'll never be able to buy her own home and have security on her own. Mum's been renting now for the last 20 years looking after me and my younger bros.

Family is key bro. This is where Auckland is shit. Fiance's parents are 65+ and all the family she has in NZ is her parents and 1 of her bros. That's it. In Sydney I have so much family (Granted some are better left alone lol), it's ridiculous. lol

I think both my fiance and I would make the equal sacrifices, but being the chick I can understand it's tougher when newborns are in the frame.
I reckon it's probably a better idea if you guys give her a room in the house rather than the granny flat - I mean personally I think a granny flat kind of gives that feeling of isolation. If you want though, you can setup a granny flat and rent it out to get some extra income. I mean that's just a personal opinion.

If you want to talk about sacrifice, I got one for you. I used to work with this Asian chick who was Canadian. She left Canada to move to Australia to be with her boyfriend (who was Asian Australian). Long story short, they've got a bub now and live here but are going on a holiday to Canada at the end of this year for a holiday so she can introduce her bub to her family. That's the biggest I can think of - a huge shift in culture lol. They have a 4 bedroom apartment in Alexandria, and lease out the other 3 rooms in the house to international students and they receive good rent from them too - the only catch being they have to have breakfast and dinner supplied for them daily.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Newcastle
Hands down
Climate perfect
House prices affordable
No traffic
Great beaches
Vineyards
Great night life
Awesome lake
Great lifestyle
Close to Sydney
Easy to get a job
Great business opportunities
I could go on and on and on

I'd settle down around Cooks Hill/Merryweather... I used to live at The Hill and had a ball living there! beautiful laid back city

Wahesh

Reaction score
I'd settle down around Cooks Hill/Merryweather... I used to live at The Hill and had a ball living there! beautiful laid back city
Yeah you come across as a laid-back kind of bloke - probably explains why you and I get on so well :grinning:

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From what you have written , to me you sound happier in Melb. Make you own journey and enjoy the ride. We live hours away from family 5hrs from one and 2 hrs from the other. We find it great being away sort of gives you space and for us made us a tighter family unit as we had rely on each other more than dumping the kids at the parents all the time. Each to their own, i say Melb and get fox to watch NRL and start following a AFL club and go to there matches . Best of both worlds !!

Wahesh

Reaction score
From what you have written , to me you sound happier in Melb. Make you own journey and enjoy the ride. We live hours away from family 5hrs from one and 2 hrs from the other. We find it great being away sort of gives you space and for us made us a tighter family unit as we had rely on each other more than dumping the kids at the parents all the time. Each to their own, i say Melb and get fox to watch NRL and start following a AFL club and go to there matches . Best of both worlds !!
Fox and following AFL? They are 2 additional expenses the man does not need!

Anyway... I think it's important to receive a ladies opinion on this, so I welcome the following posters for their input:

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fox and following AFL? They are 2 additional expenses the man does not need!

Anyway... I think it's important to receive a ladies opinion on this, so I welcome the following posters for their input:
Bucking the trend, cause I want to experience and live in as many countries as possible, so NZ (Auckland) for me.
Having only traveled to Wellington before, there's plenty more of the long white cloud to explore.
Although, right now, Singapore life is terrific.

Second would be Melbourne, I miss cold weather. Year-round summer here is a little beige at times.

Good luck with your decisions @Raysie !

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Sydney is not a good place to live if you choose to live in the wrong area.

I'm not keen on Campbelltown.
Just feels too far from everywhere.

Same as the northwest. Feels like an eternity to get anywhere out there and its only going to get worse.
The only saving grace is they have built the metro line.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Sydney is not a good place to live if you choose to live in the wrong area.

I'm not keen on Campbelltown.
Just feels too far from everywhere.

Same as the northwest. Feels like an eternity to get anywhere out there and its only going to get worse.
The only saving grace is they have built the metro line.
I'll live in Cronulla anyday. I absolutely love the walk from South Cronulla to the lookout, enjoy the ocean breeze, and go for a dip whenever you want.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry I havent been able to properly respond to everyone! Currently on holidays at the moment!

Bucking the trend, cause I want to experience and live in as many countries as possible, so NZ (Auckland) for me.
Having only traveled to Wellington before, there's plenty more of the long white cloud to explore.
Although, right now, Singapore life is terrific.

Second would be Melbourne, I miss cold weather. Year-round summer here is a little beige at times.

Good luck with your decisions @Raysie !
... and the place I'm in holidays in is Singapore! Haha

What's the life like here!? I've heard the work culture is extreme, but would like your view on things.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll live in Cronulla anyday. I absolutely love the walk from South Cronulla to the lookout, enjoy the ocean breeze, and go for a dip whenever you want.
Looks like we’re going to be neighbours one day? Lol.

I actually prefer Bondi beach.
Most of the tourists are afraid of deep water so you end up having the surf to yourself.
Also there’s usually a life guard on a jet ski in deeper water ready to fish out anyone stupid enough to get caught in trouble.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Looks like we’re going to be neighbours one day? Lol.

I actually prefer Bondi beach.
Most of the tourists are afraid of deep water so you end up having the surf to yourself.
Also there’s usually a life guard on a jet ski in deeper water ready to fish out anyone stupid enough to get caught in trouble.
Yeah I know. I think they also do that to try and keep the sharks away. The amount of shark sightings at beaches around our shores the last few years has been off the hook.

I usually go in deep enough to deep neck-high, and like to go over the waves before they dump everyone else in the shallow end lol.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry I havent been able to properly respond to everyone! Currently on holidays at the moment!

... and the place I'm in holidays in is Singapore! Haha

What's the life like here!? I've heard the work culture is extreme, but would like your view on things.
Welcome to Singapore, @Raysie ! Hope you're enjoying a lovely trip and also the milder weather is a luxury this week.
I'm glad I grew up in Australia when I did. I would image Singapore, with it's size limit would have been quite repetitive as a younger person.
There's much more pressure on kids/students here than I've experienced in Australia and the US.
However, for the middle-aged professional, Singapore is an equatorial Utopian paradise!!
Thankfully I thrive for my career and colleagues, so the work culture for me here is a snug fit.

>If you haven't visited yet, cloud dome and the nightly light show at the supertree grove are not to be missed (https://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/attractions/cloud-forest/facts-and-figures.html).
After, head over to the light-water show in front of MBS, which happens twice a night (https://www.marinabaysands.com/attractions/spectra.html)
We have a long weekend coming up to celebrate Deepavali on Sunday, which means Monday is the public holiday, if you're still here, the Presidential grounds of the Istana will be open for all (https://www.istana.gov.sg/Visit-And-Explore/Istana-Open-House).

8-)

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Melbourne seems an absolute no-brainer after reading the pros and cons of each.
At least until he starts a family and needs family support.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
At least until he starts a family and needs family support.
If you’re going to be reliant on your parents to be on-call babysitters, and for ongoing financial assistance - then you shouldn’t be bringing a baby into the world just yet.

That’s just my opinion.