News Nrl Nines in Perth

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
The return of the NRL Nines is confirmed, with Perth's HBF Park to host the footy festival in 2020.

With the World Cup 9s garnering positive feedback over the weekend, fans will get another taste of the modified game on February 14-15.

Fun is the focus of the two-day tournament. Supporters are encouraged to dress extravagantly and join in the party while enjoying some high-octane summer rugby league.

The NRL Nines, formerly held in Auckland, started in 2014 but went on hiatus from 2018 amid player workload concerns after a World Cup.

All 16 NRL clubs and four NRLW sides will compete in the revamped concept. The men's competition will feature four pools, while the women will play a round-robin.

To encourage teams to field their best players, $1 million will be awarded to any club that wins the Nines and the NRL Telstra Premiership.

"Nines is the fastest form of our game. It shows the speed, agility and attacking prowess of our most exciting players," said NRL head of elite football Graham Annesley.

After successfully bringing State of Origin II to Western Australia's Optus Stadium earlier this year, Annesley said the state's hunger for rugby league is clear and the 20,500-capacity HBF Park is the ideal venue.

"The sell-out crowd in Perth for State of Origin highlighted how much interest West Australians have in rugby league and we are committed to growing the game here," he said.

"There are few better destinations than summer in Perth and we want this event to be a summer vibes festival. We're looking forward to seeing a stadium of colour to kick-off our 2020 season."

WA tourism minister Paul Papalia heralded the Nines as a major coup.

"We're thrilled to have locked in the best in rugby league, playing in the fun, fast, Nines format," Papalia said.

"We have earned our stripes by hosting some blockbuster NRL games in Perth, showing just how popular the sport is here in WA and how well we host big events.

"This is another chance for people to get their mates together and enjoy another rugby league first for WA with the Nines tournament."

The Sydney Roosters were the most recent NRL Nines champions, with the Parramatta Eels, South Sydney Rabbitohs and North Queensland Cowboys also having lifted the trophy.

However, Parramatta's 2016 triumph was stripped because of salary cap breaches.

Nrl Nines in early Feb, thoughts:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fucking awesome. As long as the 9s remain its all that matters, I like the format especially once the nrl season is over, breaks the wait before season proper.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No Des so we picking a strong team? Or will Pay discard it as well like he has trials

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully Deano treats it with the same level of disdain that Des did.

Mickey mouse competition, not worth risking key players merely a few weeks out from Round 1.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess uncle Nick will be getting some of his money back! Well done NRLOL, you always find a way to keep your buddies happy!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully Deano treats it with the same level of disdain that Des did.

Mickey mouse competition, not worth risking key players merely a few weeks out from Round 1.
This is rugby league, there is a risk of injury every time they walk on the pitch. To not take a tournament seriously because you’re worried about injuries doesn’t make sense to me. If players are well conditioned and stay hydrated the risk of hamstring injuries should be low. There aren’t many injuries at touch and rugby 7’s tournaments normally.
What’s more important for me is Pay requiring that players execute well every time they pull on a bulldogs jersey. We started those seasons pretty badly when we didn’t take the 9’s seriously anyway.
It should be an opportunity for fringe players to stake their place for round 1 anyway.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is rugby league, there is a risk of injury every time they walk on the pitch. To not take a tournament seriously because you’re worried about injuries doesn’t make sense to me. If players are well conditioned and stay hydrated the risk of hamstring injuries should be low. There aren’t many injuries at touch and rugby 7’s tournaments normally.
What’s more important for me is Pay requiring that players execute well every time they pull on a bulldogs jersey. We started those seasons pretty badly when we didn’t take the 9’s seriously anyway.
It should be an opportunity for fringe players to stake their place for round 1 anyway.
I see 9’s as a more horses for courses type of selection anyway. For instance I think Wakeham would be way more suited to it then Foran. Defence in non existent at these tournaments and it’s so open you really can’t forge much of a combination or rely on previous combinations so it plays even more into using a bunch of different players. I wouldn’t use Foran for obvious reasons or JMK but everyone else who is fit hopefully gets a run of some sort.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All I remember is the teams that did good in the comp translated that form into the proper NRL season.

Let's give it a good crack, as our trophy cabinet collecting dust at the moment.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Wakeham, Averillo, Tass, Topine. Aslong as they all play I'm happy

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Will they get much of a crowd in Perth? I was there not long ago and I don't think I came across a single person that followed league and its too far for a lot of people to travel to from Sydney or QLD. I guess its good to promote the game if they are planning on bringing in a Perth team in the near future.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This would be my side with 11 candidates in a squad. Although im not sure how many are in a 9s squad.

Dwz
Chn
Remis
Okunbor
Jmk
Cogger
Katoa
Harper
Wakeham
Stimson
Jackson.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This would be my side with 11 candidates in a squad. Although im not sure how many are in a 9s squad.

Dwz
Chn
Remis
Okunbor
Jmk
Cogger
Katoa
Harper
Wakeham
Stimson
Jackson.
I'd have Meaney in there somewhere, and a couple youngsters Averillo & Topine..

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Damn. Forgot about Meaney.

Malla

Reaction score
Its only a matter of time before this becomes more than just a weekend.

I reckon a 4 week competition either just before or after the NRL season.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its only a matter of time before this becomes more than just a weekend.

I reckon a 4 week competition either just before or after the NRL season.
I think when it starts filtering more into the US we'll see something like a Vegas or LA weekend.