• Total voters

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Okay peeps, it's down to 3 options:

- Auckland
- Melbourne
- Sydney

Bit of background... I'm 28 years old, marrying my Kiwi fiance in March next year. I'm born and bred Sydney. Lived in Sydney right up to 24 spending most of that time in Campbelltown/Camden area. Great area to raise a family in my opinion, but extremely tough to commute to city everyday from there.

My fiance and I have lived with each other in London, Auckland and now currently Melbourne. Life here in Melbourne has been solid, but deep down we know we don't belong here long term. What makes it hard though is we have a social life here which is why we came here in the first place and affordability in Melbourne out of the 3 options is the winner.

Sydney has my family (Albeit they live far from the city and no one drives), Rugby League every week and ingrained in the culture and at the end of the day Sydney will always be my home. On the negatives, I do carry baggage in Sydney from my past and it's extremely unnafordable.

Auckland has my fiance's family who are very helpful and are great to be around, great lifestyle and has Rugby League in the culture (At least in the North Island), however it's expensive as hell, has poor infrastructure and poor paying jobs from my experience.

Auckland:

- Lived there for a year or so.
- Fiance's parents live there and are extremely helpful and great to be around.
- Lifestyle is relaxed and weather is mild (Never hot or cold).
- Shit job prospects and pay is shit also.
- Very high cost of living and housing prices are way out of reach.
- Poor infrastructure and services compared to Melbourne and Sydney.
- Poor social life.
- Feeling of being disconnected from the world.

Sydney:

- Born and raised for 24 years.
- Family is there but they live Campbelltown way and don't drive or get out much.
- Good job prospects and money.
- Extremely unaffordable housing prices.
- Rugby League is religion.
- Carrying some personal baggage in Sydney.
- No social life or family for my fiance.
- Great weather.

Melbourne:

- Currently living here.
- Cost of living vs income seem to be a massive winner here.
- Housing prices actually affordable compared to Sydney and Auckland.
- Weather is shite.
- No family.
- We both have a social life here.
- Both happy in our jobs and income is good.
- Rugby League is non-existent

Auckland's probably winning the race at the moment based on her parents being there, but I'm still not fully convinced either way on any of the options. I thought it be a good idea to ask you smart chaps for advice!

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Melbourne seems an absolute no-brainer after reading the pros and cons of each.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
- One of my mates can't afford a house here in Sydney as it's too expensive, so he bought a house in Brisbane. A real estate agency manages the property for him and he gets good rent from it each month. He then uses the income from that rent to rent an apartment here in Sydney - so one pays for the other. Houses in Campbelltown are more affordable though, so that's also worth considering.

- As you mentioned the job prospects here are great, and there are plenty of multinational companies to work for, it just depends on what you want to and are willing to do.

- Public transport is improving from Campbelltown to the City (a guy I know does it daily), catching a train from Campbelltown means you're one of the first stops and will always get a good seat.

The only problem I see in this situation for you is that your family and your fiance's family live in different cities - so one will always miss out. From what I can see, Auckland isn't an option and you guys have no family in Melbourne, so Sydney is the winner. Plus when the new Western Sydney Airport is up and running, you guys will be able to hit the airport in 30 mins via Narellan road, and fly over to NZ to visit her family.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Interesting responses already! Keep them coming!

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nothing worse than struggling to make ends meet. You will spend most of your time working and social, can always make time to visit family. If you are comfortable and can afford to make a home do it.
My parents lived in my same town for 30 years like 5 minutes away literally. They have just recently moved 4 hours away and I honestly see them more now.

But its a tough one. Seems Melbourne has more going for it for you. To me.

Never been to any listed, so unbiased as you could probably get.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Nothing worse than struggling to make ends meet. You will spend most of your time working and social, can always make time to visit family. If you are comfortable and can afford to make a home do it.
My parents lived in my same town for 30 years like 5 minutes away literally. They have just recently moved 4 hours away and I honestly see them more now.

But its a tough one. Seems Melbourne has more going for it for you. To me.

Never been to any listed, so unbiased as you could probably get.
You've never been to Sydney? Then why do you go for the Dogs bro?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To add more to the story:

- My mum would be an amazing Grandmother with more time than my fiance's parents. She doesn't drive though. Depending on how things go the next few years, there is also a possibility she could move to Auckland/Melbourne one day as she's in much need of a fresh start.
- Fiance (Understandably) isn't too keen to have kids away from her Mum. Her mum is open to staying with her for a few months after the birth.
- We both agree Fiance needs to be stay at home mum at least to begin with, so there will be a big financial hit there.

I think if there was no such thing as kids being involved down the track, we'd probably stay here in Melbourne.

Wahesh

Reaction score
To add more to the story:

- My mum would be an amazing Grandmother with more time than my fiance's parents. She doesn't drive though. Depending on how things go the next few years, there is also a possibility she could move to Auckland/Melbourne one day as she's in much need of a fresh start.
- Fiance (Understandably) isn't too keen to have kids away from her Mum. Her mum is open to staying with her for a few months after the birth.
- We both agree Fiance needs to be stay at home mum at least to begin with, so there will be a big financial hit there.

I think if there was no such thing as kids being involved down the track, we'd probably stay here in Melbourne.
Ok so some of the things about the points you made are a concern:

- Your mum needs a fresh start, so Melbourne would be good, but this conflicts with your 3rd point. You would need to support 4 people on your income alone. Your Mrs will be on maternity leave and your mother will be helping her out, so it's all on you.

- Your fiance's mum coming here would also complicate the matter as it could also be a case of your supporting 4 people.

My solution to this (and I know you probably won't like it) perhaps move in with your parents at least short term until your Mrs is back at work - and I strongly suggest you buy an apartment before you get married to get into the property game. You can get a good one in Sydney in the St. George area for $600,000. The current crash we're in isn't going to last for long, and sooner or later the prices will start to rise, so now is the time to start making decisions. Thinking time is over.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@Wahesh Haha my fiance would not be keen with your suggestion one bit! lol

I agree property in Sydney is going to rise again, however I'm more a land sort of guy and don't trust the large amounts of issues and hidden costs when it comes to apartments/flats.

Wahesh

Reaction score
@Wahesh Haha my fiance would not be keen with your suggestion one bit! lol

I agree property in Sydney is going to rise again, however I'm more a land sort of guy and don't trust the large amounts of issues and hidden costs when it comes to apartments/flats.
Bro I know your Mrs isn't keen, but I'm looking at what's best for your family as a whole, not just her. Is it an option for her family to move here from Auckland?

Brother I've bought a house and I'm looking at an apartment next. When it comes to buying an apartment, strata is the main thing you need to worry about. I currently have to pay land tax, water rates, property management fees and maintenance/repairs... and I'm not even living in it!

One thing I can tell you for certain though... DO NOT buy any of those crappy new apartments that are going up all over Sydney now. Buy one that is at least 30 years old as that's when the good ones were last built. All the crap you see now are nothing but plaster-boards glued together and rendered.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bro I know your Mrs isn't keen, but I'm looking at what's best for your family as a whole, not just her. Is it an option for her family to move here from Auckland?

Brother I've bought a house and I'm looking at an apartment next. When it comes to buying an apartment, strata is the main thing you need to worry about. I currently have to pay land tax, water rates, property management fees and maintenance/repairs... and I'm not even living in it!

One thing I can tell you for certain though... DO NOT buy any of those crappy new apartments that are going up all over Sydney now. Buy one that is at least 30 years old as that's when the good ones were last built. All the crap you see now are nothing but plaster-boards glued together and rendered.
Well this is where things get interesting. In Auckland we're guarenteed financial assistance by her family, who are much well off than mine and very happy to help - especially knowing we'd be moving to Auckland. Her parents are extremely social and are rooted into their church, so they've made it clear they're not going anywhere. They're extremely supportive of us living wherever we'd be most happy though, and would more than likely still assist financially if we needed them.

Definitely aware of staying well away from the new shit being built at the moment.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Well this is where things get interesting. In Auckland we're guarenteed financial assistance by her family, who are much well off than mine and very happy to help - especially knowing we'd be moving to Auckland. Her parents are extremely social and are rooted into their church, so they've made it clear they're not going anywhere. They're extremely supportive of us living wherever we'd be most happy though, and would more than likely still assist financially if we needed them.

Definitely aware of staying well away from the new shit being built at the moment.
Well Auckland is probably your absolute last resort any by that, I mean that you're out of work and not getting anything coming in whatsoever. But you need to think long-term as well and where you see yourself living.

I know we're not related, but we're both wogs, and us wogs value our families above a lot of other things and I'm sure your family would want to be around your children a lot. I can't imagine my life now without my siblings children being around their favorite uncle a lot (lol), so I reckon that your family might feel the same way. Granted I know your wife is Chinese and they also have very strong family values - it just depends on who is willing to make the sacrifice.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well Auckland is probably your absolute last resort any by that, I mean that you're out of work and not getting anything coming in whatsoever. But you need to think long-term as well and where you see yourself living.

I know we're not related, but we're both wogs, and us wogs value our families above a lot of other things and I'm sure your family would want to be around your children a lot. I can't imagine my life now without my siblings children being around their favorite uncle a lot (lol), so I reckon that your family might feel the same way. Granted I know your wife is Chinese and they also have very strong family values - it just depends on who is willing to make the sacrifice.
Cheers bro. Don't get me wrong, Auckland was a nice place to live, but it was for kids and oldies. Adults between 18-45 suffer big time (No offence to any Kiwis here). It was like living life in Reserve Grade haha

And you're right on all points there. Sydney and Melbourne, I can make a living on a single income here. There's a big future in Sydney and Melbourne, so jobs and money is swirling everywhere.

As for family, this is the toughest bit. My mum is an angel and she'd be amazing to have around. My mum is just your typical born and bred carer... does it with her eyes closed. My fiance knows this and we've spoken of the idea of setting up a granny flat for her down the track wherever we decide to live. My mum was fucked over big time by my dad (No pun intended lol) and she's been left in a position where no matter what happens from here, she'll never be able to buy her own home and have security on her own. Mum's been renting now for the last 20 years looking after me and my younger bros.

Family is key bro. This is where Auckland is shit. Fiance's parents are 65+ and all the family she has in NZ is her parents and 1 of her bros. That's it. In Sydney I have so much family (Granted some are better left alone lol), it's ridiculous. lol

I think both my fiance and I would make the equal sacrifices, but being the chick I can understand it's tougher when newborns are in the frame.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I used to Live In Campbelltown, i liked it, had everything i needed but the travel for my misses was shite so we moved closer to the city.

Depending on where you work, i would say Sydney in the Campbelltown area would be the best for you mate, NZ i think is in last place here.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok so some of the things about the points you made are a concern:

- Your mum needs a fresh start, so Melbourne would be good, but this conflicts with your 3rd point. You would need to support 4 people on your income alone. Your Mrs will be on maternity leave and your mother will be helping her out, so it's all on you.

- Your fiance's mum coming here would also complicate the matter as it could also be a case of your supporting 4 people.

My solution to this (and I know you probably won't like it) perhaps move in with your parents at least short term until your Mrs is back at work - and I strongly suggest you buy an apartment before you get married to get into the property game. You can get a good one in Sydney in the St. George area for $600,000. The current crash we're in isn't going to last for long, and sooner or later the prices will start to rise, so now is the time to start making decisions. Thinking time is over.
I honestly think that property values in Sydney have peaked. People with investment properties aren't going to keep investing that way when their ways out (selling up) are beyond most working families now. I know three people in Sydney who are looking at offloading their investment properties just to get debt free. Your points about affordable housing on the outskirts of Sydney and the fact that other popular cities are offering more affordable investment properties is going to keep throwing darts at the property bubble in Sydney.

The first point I'd make is that until kids are definitely in the picture, settling down need not be your present option. Second point is that investing in housing might not be your best option. If you can save money towards a down payment before jumping in while living in Melbourne it's all going to reduce the crippling amount of interest you'll be stuck with when you do opt to buy.

I know that family features strongly in both Sydney and Auckland options. But airfares are easier to come by if you are living affordably in Melbourne. And travel time to Sydney and Auckland are not prohibitive. Depends a bit about how much holiday time you get though. The fact that you are seeking advice on moving away from Melbourne tells me you are still quite happy there.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Okay peeps, it's down to 3 options:

- Auckland
- Melbourne
- Sydney

Bit of background... I'm 28 years old, marrying my Kiwi fiance in March next year. I'm born and bred Sydney. Lived in Sydney right up to 24 spending most of that time in Campbelltown/Camden area. Great area to raise a family in my opinion, but extremely tough to commute to city everyday from there.

My fiance and I have lived with each other in London, Auckland and now currently Melbourne. Life here in Melbourne has been solid, but deep down we know we don't belong here long term. What makes it hard though is we have a social life here which is why we came here in the first place and affordability in Melbourne out of the 3 options is the winner.

Sydney has my family (Albeit they live far from the city and no one drives), Rugby League every week and ingrained in the culture and at the end of the day Sydney will always be my home. On the negatives, I do carry baggage in Sydney from my past and it's extremely unnafordable.

Auckland has my fiance's family who are very helpful and are great to be around, great lifestyle and has Rugby League in the culture (At least in the North Island), however it's expensive as hell, has poor infrastructure and poor paying jobs from my experience.

Auckland:

- Lived there for a year or so.
- Fiance's parents live there and are extremely helpful and great to be around.
- Lifestyle is relaxed and weather is mild (Never hot or cold).
- Shit job prospects and pay is shit also.
- Very high cost of living and housing prices are way out of reach.
- Poor infrastructure and services compared to Melbourne and Sydney.
- Poor social life.
- Feeling of being disconnected from the world.

Sydney:

- Born and raised for 24 years.
- Family is there but they live Campbelltown way and don't drive or get out much.
- Good job prospects and money.
- Extremely unaffordable housing prices.
- Rugby League is religion.
- Carrying some personal baggage in Sydney.
- No social life or family for my fiance.
- Great weather.

Melbourne:

- Currently living here.
- Cost of living vs income seem to be a massive winner here.
- Housing prices actually affordable compared to Sydney and Auckland.
- Weather is shite.
- No family.
- We both have a social life here.
- Both happy in our jobs and income is good.
- Rugby League is non-existent

Auckland's probably winning the race at the moment based on her parents being there, but I'm still not fully convinced either way on any of the options. I thought it be a good idea to ask you smart chaps for advice!
Newcastle
Hands down
Climate perfect
House prices affordable
No traffic
Great beaches
Vineyards
Great night life
Awesome lake
Great lifestyle
Close to Sydney
Easy to get a job
Great business opportunities
I could go on and on and on

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
My job takes me to Melbourne most weeks, I’m a huge fan of the place - has so much to offer that your other 2 choices don’t.

Family is a big consideration mate, if your planning to have kids, the support network provided by extended and close family really is hard to put a price tag on...

Never been to Auckland, but I’d want to be in Oz personally...