Board need to go if Dogs fail to sign elite players like David Fifita / Latrell Mitchell

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Storm had 3 of the best players in the NRL in Smith, Slater and Cronk so didn't need to shop for further established big names. Imagine how they would have gone if those 3 were just decent players but not great players (probably on a MIL each). How would the Roosters have gone the last 2 seasons without Tedesco and Keary who they bought from outside the club. How would Souths have gone in the 2014 GF against us minus their stars Inglis and Burgess (on a MIL each). People here are saying we should focus on our juniors to build and saying the board have done a good job there. Last year we won the friggin ISP and national comps in reserve grade but afterwards the club let go several of the best players from the team including the man of the match Josh Cleeland, plus prominent hooker Zac Woolford and player of the year Lachlan Burr. How did the board go with that one ?
The players around the big 3 are largely players developed within their own ranks who have become test/origin players in their own rights also. Munster/Bromwich brothers/Kaufusi/Vunivalu/NAS the list goes on and on.

Roosters Premiership winning team this year featured 11 players who came through their junior ranks. A high percentage.

The Souths 2014 premiership team you mentioned had 13 players of the 17 which made their NRL debut at Souths. Again, a high percentage.

To emphasise my point. The team we rolled out in Round 1 this year featured just 6 of our own products. Round 1 of 2018 was just 6 also. Round 1 of 2017 just 7.

Successful teams are proven to be predominantly made up of players developed within their own system.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
While there’s many flaws in his debate there’s also very valid points.

Storm aren’t a good example, neither are broncos or roosters.

They are all clearly just cheats.Besides the roosters the other two also have a huge advantage in location for third party and other shit they pull.

The days of what we could do are dead in the nrl.

The storm have been built around 3 of the best blokes in the game for the past decade and as he said the roosters have bought stars that they needed to be where they are now too. They also get majority of the good kids they go for that are so highly touted.

I remember hearing about butcher years ago and how promising he was and multiple clubs wanting him. Who has him
On the bench?

Who got the young walkers half everyone wanted this year?

I actually know a mates uncle was tied up with blokes who played for the roosters back in the early 2000’s and they use to get money off the books and that’s no bs.

Anyway I agree we need money spent wisely on some astute signings like Dwz was. Though we also need some star signings and the star signing or two will make these blokes like api, Herman, Raimen etc likely take a lower offer from us than what they want now.

It also might help us recruit some future talented kids with the attraction to play with a star
Or two. That will save us $ in another way.

I’m not saying give any old player 1mil or something crazy.

Though he has a point and it’s got some valid logic if you look past the initial thought
Cheats, who knows.

But look at it this way, you could combine the legitimate salaries of 5 players out of their Premiership winning 17 and it’ll amount to the salary that we paid Kieran Foran alone this year.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Inaccurate. Roosters will pay Latrell something between 600-800k. Roosters can't compete with 1m offers for Latrell. That isn't how to Roosters retain/build their team. They'd rather let Latrell go. If the Rabbitohs for e.g. came in with the same offer as us for Latrell, lets say 1m, then he'd go to the Rabbitohs.
If roosters want to keep someone they keep them.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Totally agree. Can't see how some people don't understand that not everyone has a MIL or more up their sleeve
So what your saying is that the board should just slash out 1milll for Mitchell because the kennel said we need to sign him lol

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
At the end of the day unless we offer more then other clubs retaining or interested in players they're not going to pick us over them. It's obvious our method is recruiting rejects (players unwanted at their current club) but we're still struggling to do that as we're not the only club that go in for them. We eventually will find players but we want to be competitive in 2021, well I do at least.

People saying to not buy stars because we have to overpay, we have to overpay on literally anyone we buy unless they're an opportunist signing (e.g. someone in reserves that can't get a start at their current club or another club - majority of our signings). This is why to me it makes sense to make quality > quantity signings. We also already have a good base to work with.

Napa is on 650k, DWZ was a mid season signing (would of been playing reserves if he didn't leave Panthers) and we were the only club that could offer him Fullback (Eels were interested for Centre and Tigers couldn't move on Mbye) and CHN lost his starting position at the Panthers (to Kikau to be fair) and in Gould's words "a contract to set him and his family up for the rest of his life". I also didn't hear one other club linked with CHN.

We can't recruit like the top clubs (they don't cheat, get that out of your head). We need to get into a position where we can tho (be successful).

Last edited:

CHUCKYBOY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our recruitment had suffered under Hasler and Cleal, to the extent you would think it was jeopardised on purpose, they had so many opportunities but weren't interested!

Our club is playing catch up and is behind the eight ball when it comes to recruitment.... We need to be patient, because if we as fans are not patient we're going to be always disappointed.

Good things come to those who wait, give them time, they will come good....

You are right on the money mate. Hasler and Cleal did in fact refuse to bring high profile players because their plan was just to cash grab and sink the club. But of all the talk Fifita would be the best signing and he will then attract others to the club. We need good business men and a great negotiator on board.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It wasn't so long ago that we picked up Curtis Rona. By nobodies standards was he a star before we signed him. But he was a game breaker for us when we gave him a chance. I don't think he's the only unpolished gem in reserve grade.

Going back to our last premiership team and many of our stars were originally signings like Rona. I have confidence that we have recruitment staff in place that can identify unappreciated talent again. Money isn't the only thing we can offer. I don't expect that players will join us entirely for the opportunity to break into the NRL. But we're finally getting to a point where we can make decent offers to a big group of players that are demanding promotion. The list of players we chase may not be the priority list that many amateurs on here think we'll need. But I think we've got talented recruitment staff within the club again. Apparently Hughes is back and he was among those that helped assemble our last premiership winning team. It will give me a greater level of confidence in our future if we're able to assemble a roster that gives the finals a shake without needing to resort to chasing rep players.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Cheats, who knows.

But look at it this way, you could combine the legitimate salaries of 5 players out of their Premiership winning 17 and it’ll amount to the salary that we paid Kieran Foran alone this year.
Sure, though that’s just like saying 20 of our players are worth what Inglis and burgess was being paid.

There’s also a few other loop holes here. “Debuting at the club” for the burgess brothers is just like us claiming graham as such. Technically true but he was a international before here that we bought over.

Same with raiders group.

The major thing when comparing the storm is a flawed logic is it was built around a team that was illegally established big time.

It had 3 of the best players to ever lace a boot.

It has the greatest coach in the game.

Along with the other leg ups like being one team in melb, third party galore etc.

Unfortunately we have none of these things and no matter how much we want to copy it we never can.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
How many clubs can afford to pay Fifita 900K or a MIL a season. Maybe only us and the Warriors. Broncos can't if they're looking for new halves as a priority
More than half the clubs can afford him.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What a Stupid opinion........ the board has done a great job from the mess that was. The club is coming out of the hole it was in. Future is bright with going pups coming through. Players can come here if they want but board aren’t doing anything wrong. Wipe your dribble up ......

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
T
Sick of people bitching about our recruitment.. DWZ CHN Napa have been awesome
Think CHN kind of fell in our lap fortunately after Panthers let him go and similar with DWZ after the Tigers and another team were unable to free up cap space

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Think CHN kind of fell in our lap fortunately after Panthers let him go and similar with DWZ after the Tigers and another team were unable to free up cap space
I don't know much about CHN's signing but I imagine he would have had options given the season he had for Pemriff, and we know DWZ still had options when he signed because he often speaks about why he chose us over the others

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a Stupid opinion........ the board has done a great job from the mess that was. The club is coming out of the hole it was in. Future is bright with going pups coming through. Players can come here if they want but board aren’t doing anything wrong. Wipe your dribble up ......
They started off okay but failure to sign one good hooker from 3 who were available in Brailey, Robinson and Api, failure to keep 3 of our best players from our ISP winning team, failure to sign Holbrook (when Pay was going bad) and DWZ landing in their lap only because 2 other teams couldn't free up cap space doesn't point to good management as far as I'm concerned. If I fail to sign decent clients in my job I get the arse. I think the same needs to apply to anyone

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
They started off okay but failure to sign one good hooker from 3 whop were available in Brailey, Robinson and Api, failure to keep 3 of our best players from our ISP winning team, failure to sign Holbrook (when Pay was going bad) and DWZ landing in their lap only because 2 other teams couldn't free up cap space doesn't point to good management as far as I'm concerned. If I fail to sign decent clients in my job I get the arse. I think the same needs to apply to anyone
I love how when we make a great signing the players “fall into our laps” but when we miss out on an average or reserve grade player it’s the tragedy of the century

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is it the boards fault if Fifita or Mitchell don't want to come here? Lol
If we offer 200K a season more than the Broncos or Roosters you would think we're in with a pretty good chance. I wish when I fail to sign decent clients in my work I could simply use the same excuse and keep my job

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is it the boards fault if Fifita or Mitchell don't want to come here? Lol
If we offer 200K a season more than the Broncos or Roosters you would think we're in with a pretty good chance. I wish when I fail to sign decent clients in my work I could simply use the same excuse and keep my job

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
A massage parlor is very different than running a football club