Ch 9 News (inc DannyW) AVO against Sam Burgess

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes I can see you standing over Sam Burgess and telling him to buzz off and leave.

Even more fanciful would be imagining a guy like Sam Burgess quietly accepting that and leaving.

You don't know the circumstances. I suggest you read the Topic on TK "Burgess' Shoulder" and take in Freddy and Sterlo's take on Sam's temperament and dirty, uncontrolled aggressive play. Perhaps the grandfather was exposed to that? Even a tough guy like yourself might contemplete calling the cops if Sam had been aggressive on other occasions in the family's dealings with him? We don't know.
It says he left when asked and a further argument occurred outside which means the pussy followed him. Have you ever met Sam? He is grubby on the football field but the opposite off the field.
I can see you’d be the type to get an AVO out on a bloke for looking sideways to prevent him seeing his kids. I wouldn’t care if my son in law was Rambo, the fact he called the cops and got an AVO is what’s wrong with our society these days

Malla

Reaction score
Feel for Sam. There are now kids involved and his name is getting drawn through the mud. No doubt that the AVO will have an impact on custody of his kids.. Sam will get painted as a man who has uncontrollable anger issues and will probably struggle to see his kids like once a fortnight unsupervised.

Not a fan of Sam at all but can sympathies with him if this turns ugly which it looks like it will.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Feel for Sam. There are now kids involved and his name is getting drawn through the mud. No doubt that the AVO will have an impact on custody of his kids.. Sam will get painted as a man who has uncontrollable anger issues and will probably struggle to see his kids like once a fortnight unsupervised.

Not a fan of Sam at all but can sympathies with him if this turns ugly which it looks like it will.
He brought that on himself, know one to blame but himself

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It says he left when asked and a further argument occurred outside which means the pussy followed him. Have you ever met Sam? He is grubby on the football field but the opposite off the field.
I can see you’d be the type to get an AVO out on a bloke for looking sideways to prevent him seeing his kids. I wouldn’t care if my son in law was Rambo, the fact he called the cops and got an AVO is what’s wrong with our society these days
Yeah sure.

The reporting is probably as accurate as always (not). Maybe Sam verbally promised to get square as he left. Cops don't agree to AVO's if NOTHING happened.

No never met Sam. Funny tho that thousands who haven't, have instead seen this "grubby on the football field but the opposite off it" guy's middle stump plastered all over the internet. That was someone's elses fault too I guess.

Plenty of people dont seek an AVO... but there's also plenty who wished they had of when situations have escalated and someone gets hurt.

What's wrong with our society is the need for AVO's, not that fact that someone felt the need to call the cops to get one.

You don't know the circumstances so calm down. Dog act to call a bloke a pussy when you don't know the facts.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah sure.

The reporting is probably as accurate as always (not). Maybe Sam verbally promised to get square as he left. Cops don't agree to AVO's if NOTHING happened.

No never met Sam. Funny tho that thousands who haven't, have instead seen this "grubby on the football field but the opposite off it" guy's middle stump plastered all over the internet. That was someone's elses fault too I guess.

Plenty of people dont seek an AVO... but there's also plenty who wished they had of when situations have escalated and someone gets hurt.

What's wrong with our society is the need for AVO's, not that fact that someone felt the need to call the cops to get one.

You don't know the circumstances so calm down. Dog act to call a bloke a pussy when you don't know the facts.
You never know the circumstances including behind the scenes at our club but it doesn’t stop you shooting your mouth off and acting like you know anything. Cops are too scared covering their arses and soon nearly everyone will have AVO’s. I’m all for a woman getting an AVO to stop a guy bashing her but how many blokes would get an AVO against anyone after a non-physical argument. Weak as piss. We should do a poll here :grinning:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You never know the circumstances including behind the scenes at our club but it doesn’t stop you shooting your mouth off and acting like you know anything. Cops are too scared covering their arses and soon nearly everyone will have AVO’s. I’m all for a woman getting an AVO to stop a guy bashing her but how many blokes would get an AVO against anyone after a non-physical argument. Weak as piss. We should do a poll here :grinning:
What gets up people's nose on here is you continually telling us we are uninformed, or bad supporters for having opinions that differ to yours and you always suggesting, and intimating, that you have inside information on what's "really" happening and we are nuffies for not just accepting what you tell us is the truth!

The father and grandfather was obviously worried about the on-going safety of others. Probably not himself. Is that so hard for you to understand and accept.

Until you are in the same situation, against a meathead football forward, you wouldn't know how you'd handle the safety of your family.

Sam's wife wasn't there apparently and her Dad was the property owner left with the responsibility of his grandchildren. We don't know if it was an arranged visit or he just drove 3 hours from Sydney on a whim to visit.

If you are all for a woman getting an AVO to stop a bloke from bashing her, what about if she seeks one 1 year before the bashing starts when it's only verbal abuse? Whats your thoughts then?

Malla

Reaction score
He brought that on himself, know one to blame but himself
The break up with his misso yes he brought on himself but the mess it's going to create now with kids involved, I don't think you can say that's his fault.

End of the day theres kids involved and its a 2 way street. You need to put the interests of your kids ahead of yours. Sam doesn't come across as a guy who doesn't want to be a father to his kids.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said at the time and it clearly didn’t sink in, maybe Vunivalu couldn’t fly straight away due to his injuries including concussion. I love how you said you wouldn’t respond to my comments but can’t help yourself and are responding to me without hitting the quote button haha.

It says Burgess and the pussy had an argument, there were no injuries or crimes committed. Honesty, who calls the Police and gets an AVO in those circumstances?! Especially a grown man Hahaha
Anyone whos got respect for our laws id say

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your using guesswork to justify your post ?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
What gets up people's nose on here is you continually telling us we are uninformed, or bad supporters for having opinions that differ to yours and you always suggesting, and intimating, that you have inside information on what's "really" happening and we are nuffies for not just accepting what you tell us is the truth!

The father and grandfather was obviously worried about the on-going safety of others. Probably not himself. Is that so hard for you to understand and accept.

Until you are in the same situation, against a meathead football forward, you wouldn't know how you'd handle the safety of your family.

Sam's wife wasn't there apparently and her Dad was the property owner left with the responsibility of his grandchildren. We don't know if it was an arranged visit or he just drove 3 hours from Sydney on a whim to visit.

If you are all for a woman getting an AVO to stop a bloke from bashing her, what about if she seeks one 1 year before the bashing starts when it's only verbal abuse? Whats your thoughts then?
That’s fine. She’s not a grown man

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Idk sounds like he just wanted to see his kids no crime in that. Fathers really get screwed when it comes to relationship breakdowns.
Tell me about it, I know it first hand. My ex was screwing someone else yet I was the one that got screwed harder than her in the end and made out to be the bad guy. Copped an unwarranted AVO, made to do parenting classes, and in the end still haven't seen my kids in about 3 years. But I'm putting money away into a war chest to take her to court and get proper visitations with my kids.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Anyone whos got respect for our laws id say
Remind me not to get in an argument with you, you might run to the police station for an AVO

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There are so many facets to marriage and family break downs.

"Sam doesn't come across as a guy who doesn't want to be a father to his kids."

There's very few out there that don't but yet the situation gets out of control. Too much aggression and testosterone flying around seems to be the prime cause. I have no other explanation as to why the really tragic cases escalate to violence and even murder.

Who knows what drives a normal, apparently rational farmer to kill his wife, daughter and 4 grandchildren. Who knows why an estranged guy agrees to councelling and at the police station, whips out a knife and slits the wife's throat leaving his kids effectly orphans to be raised by aunts and uncles.

In this Burgess case I can tell you, and many of us are oldies with grandchildren. When you have charge of them you take extra precautions, you ensure their safety far more than you did your own kids. Like the saying says, if your kids are the rainbow, your grandchildren are the pot of gold.

IF it was a grumbling, tired and emotional, threatening Sam Burgess at our home making demands or being aggressive, he shouldn't be expecting anything other than an AVO from me, or my husband.

Let him calm down and sort himself out elsewhere and make sure he gets the message not to return to our home to cause harm or trouble. Violence and anger still happens but does anyone have a better protection system in these situations.

If the guy is genuine, it can be resolved you would hope.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Remind me not to get in an argument with you, you might run to the police station for an AVO
AVO's are so easy to get but are harder to defend against. I had to cop one for a year because I couldn't actually fight it as i had no evidence and it went on a he said she said. They took her side and in the end I had to accept it but without admition, meaning their was no charges or anything recorded. Long story short, my ex got the AVO on me because she said I was harassing her. She used the call log on her phone as "evidence" against me to get it.

What the calls were, were me ringing to talk to my children or organise to see the children. Ever time I rang, she would either say that they can't talk now or were asleep and I'd have to ring back later. Sometimes she wouldn't answer at all. So there were days I had to call her 3 times in the day just to speak to the children or to organise to see them. See how easy it is to turn it against you.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There are so many facets to marriage and family break downs.

"Sam doesn't come across as a guy who doesn't want to be a father to his kids."

There's very few out there that don't but yet the situation gets out of control. Too much aggression and testosterone flying around seems to be the prime cause. I have no other explanation as to why the really tragic cases escalate to violence and even murder.

Who knows what drives a normal, apparently rational farmer to kill his wife, daughter and 4 grandchildren. Who knows why an estranged guy agrees to councelling and at the police station, whips out a knife and slits the wife's throat leaving his kids effectly orphans to be raised by aunts and uncles.

In this Burgess case I can tell you, and many of us are oldies with grandchildren. When you have charge of them you take extra precautions, you ensure their safety far more than you did your own kids. Like the saying says, if your kids are the rainbow, your grandchildren are the pot of gold.

IF it was a grumbling, tired and emotional, threatening Sam Burgess at our home making demands or being aggressive, he shouldn't be expecting anything other than an AVO from me, or my husband.

Let him calm down and sort himself out elsewhere and make sure he gets the message not to return to our home to cause harm or trouble. Violence and anger still happens but does anyone have a better protection system in these situations.

If the guy is genuine, it can be resolved you would hope.
There are indeed many facets, and i tend to steer clear of these discussions mainly as many will project their own, often terrible experiences, and true objectivity is nigh on impossible. For every guy who can't see his kids because of his lying ex wife (as Matsadogg says above and mate you have my (and i'm sure many others her on TK) complete sympathy and thoughts - it must be a terrible time you're going through), there will be another deadbeat father who won't cough up for support, or has forced his ex wife to move address due to threats of violence.

My first marriage ended up with no kids and little by way of assets. We hired a common lawyer, signed a piece of paper, shook hands and never had to deal with her again. I know i am one of the "lucky" ones for want of a better phrase.

I see enough family law disputes in my line of work (insolvency practitioner) to know they can be very hard on some people. Why people need to be arseholes I'll never know.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
The break up with his misso yes he brought on himself but the mess it's going to create now with kids involved, I don't think you can say that's his fault.

End of the day theres kids involved and its a 2 way street. You need to put the interests of your kids ahead of yours. Sam doesn't come across as a guy who doesn't want to be a father to his kids.
Yeah I get what you mean.